Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 General Discussion
General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
RonRock
CF Senior Member

Default How Do I Determine the VATS Key Needed?

I bought my 95 without a key. It is a fixer upper and one of the first issues is how to find the correct key. I'm somewhat familiar with the VATS system used. I have read that there are 15 different choices in key values. So I could simply buy 15 keys and have them cut to work. try them till I found the one that works. That seems needlessly expensive.

Is there any way I can find the VATS value I need? Of course the car don't run so taking it to a dealer would require a tow. Probably cost more than 15 keys.

Any suggestions?
RonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
socalman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
I bought my 95 without a key. It is a fixer upper and one of the first issues is how to find the correct key. I'm somewhat familiar with the VATS system used. I have read that there are 15 different choices in key values. So I could simply buy 15 keys and have them cut to work. try them till I found the one that works. That seems needlessly expensive.

Is there any way I can find the VATS value I need? Of course the car don't run so taking it to a dealer would require a tow. Probably cost more than 15 keys.

Any suggestions?
The answer was right on top of you in the new Ulitmate C4 DYI sticky (For future reference)

Each key has a different ohm, use an ohm meter and then match it to the correct key#. More info here

http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtip...=153&TopicID=2
socalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
zr1fred
CF Senior Member

You can call the dealer, and the codes should be in the system. DON'T tell them that you bought it without a key, they probably won't help you. Tell them you LOST your key, you may have to show them a title in your name, or proof of ownership. If it's not in the system you have two options. One call a locksmith who will then use an "interigator" on it which basically mimics the codes untill he finds the right one (about $120). Two, buy an interigator and do it yourself (about $130).
zr1fred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Brett Richmond
CF Senior Member

Follow the advice in the link, it works.

Brett Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
jon0108
CF Senior Member

yep, just use an ohm meter to measure resistance
jon0108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
cal55
CF Senior Member

He doesn't have a key though to check the ohms. You're probably going to have to change the ignition lock with a new one that would have the keys included. Maybe I'm missing something but that's the only solution I can see.
Joe
cal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
jon0108
CF Senior Member

Oops, sorry. I'm actually working on my 86 right now, too many brews
jon0108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
ElvisGraceBo
CF Senior Member

I went to Ace Hardware and they were able to get me the right key with the vin number of my car. $13.00. They had a book or called in or something. It cost about $16 for the ign. and door key.
ElvisGraceBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
redrose
CF Senior Member

Default 15 codes x 4 min = 1 hr

get a 1k and a 10k cermet pot (potentiometer) from raddyshack for under $6 total...wire the two pots in series for coarse/fine adjustment...unhook the vats connector at the base of the steering wheel...using the 'key chart' and a DVOM, set first key value into pot pile , jumper onto car vats connector and turn key to start...if no response, turn key off, unhook pots, set pots to second 'key' value', wait for remainder of vats time-out of total 4 min, retry...and then next key value, until ya get lucky...WORST case is needing to try all 15 key values, = an hour

once the correct key value is in the pots, put a tiny dab of paint (or typewriter 'white-out') on each pot adjuster to lock in, make perm connect of the pots/jumpers to the car and live free, or use the info to go other ways.

Last edited by redrose; 08-05-2010 at 06:51 PM.
redrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
jeffp1167
CF Senior Member

A VIN number can't get you the code, only the correct cut of the key and generally there systems are purged after 10 years so doubtful the O/P can do that.

when the car is new and has it's first start the decoder codes itself to that key that is put in the car the first time. It is a one shot thing and it won't do it again. from then on only the original code will work in the car
jeffp1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 General Discussion
Reload this Page How Do I Determine the VATS Key Needed?

Tags
1992, c4, code, corvette, determine, issues, key, lost, meter, ohm, read, replace, set, vat, vats