Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How Do I Determine the VATS Key Needed?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:11 PM
RonRock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Do I Determine the VATS Key Needed?

I bought my 95 without a key. It is a fixer upper and one of the first issues is how to find the correct key. I'm somewhat familiar with the VATS system used. I have read that there are 15 different choices in key values. So I could simply buy 15 keys and have them cut to work. try them till I found the one that works. That seems needlessly expensive.

Is there any way I can find the VATS value I need? Of course the car don't run so taking it to a dealer would require a tow. Probably cost more than 15 keys.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by RonRock
I bought my 95 without a key. It is a fixer upper and one of the first issues is how to find the correct key. I'm somewhat familiar with the VATS system used. I have read that there are 15 different choices in key values. So I could simply buy 15 keys and have them cut to work. try them till I found the one that works. That seems needlessly expensive.

Is there any way I can find the VATS value I need? Of course the car don't run so taking it to a dealer would require a tow. Probably cost more than 15 keys.

Any suggestions?
The answer was right on top of you in the new Ulitmate C4 DYI sticky (For future reference)

Each key has a different ohm, use an ohm meter and then match it to the correct key#. More info here

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=153&TopicID=2
Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

You can call the dealer, and the codes should be in the system. DON'T tell them that you bought it without a key, they probably won't help you. Tell them you LOST your key, you may have to show them a title in your name, or proof of ownership. If it's not in the system you have two options. One call a locksmith who will then use an "interigator" on it which basically mimics the codes untill he finds the right one (about $120). Two, buy an interigator and do it yourself (about $130).
Old 08-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Follow the advice in the link, it works.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yep, just use an ohm meter to measure resistance
Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 PM
cal55
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He doesn't have a key though to check the ohms. You're probably going to have to change the ignition lock with a new one that would have the keys included. Maybe I'm missing something but that's the only solution I can see.
Joe
Old 08-05-2010, 06:15 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oops, sorry. I'm actually working on my 86 right now, too many brews
Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 PM
ElvisGraceBo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to Ace Hardware and they were able to get me the right key with the vin number of my car. $13.00. They had a book or called in or something. It cost about $16 for the ign. and door key.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 15 codes x 4 min = 1 hr

get a 1k and a 10k cermet pot (potentiometer) from raddyshack for under $6 total...wire the two pots in series for coarse/fine adjustment...unhook the vats connector at the base of the steering wheel...using the 'key chart' and a DVOM, set first key value into pot pile , jumper onto car vats connector and turn key to start...if no response, turn key off, unhook pots, set pots to second 'key' value', wait for remainder of vats time-out of total 4 min, retry...and then next key value, until ya get lucky...WORST case is needing to try all 15 key values, = an hour

once the correct key value is in the pots, put a tiny dab of paint (or typewriter 'white-out') on each pot adjuster to lock in, make perm connect of the pots/jumpers to the car and live free, or use the info to go other ways.

Last edited by redrose; 08-05-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A VIN number can't get you the code, only the correct cut of the key and generally there systems are purged after 10 years so doubtful the O/P can do that.

when the car is new and has it's first start the decoder codes itself to that key that is put in the car the first time. It is a one shot thing and it won't do it again. from then on only the original code will work in the car

Get notified of new replies

To How Do I Determine the VATS Key Needed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Do I Determine the VATS Key Needed?