Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I need help--I've inherited Elvira (long post from a newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 PM
zuruduckydoo
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help--I've inherited Elvira (long post from a newbie)

To put it bluntly, my husband was killed in an auto accident in May driving my Volvo. We have 16yo and 6yo sons. And we also have Elvira, a 1991 6sp convertible, black on black. Elvira is not a practical car for the three of us, and certainly way too much car for my older son who is still learning. I’m at odds whether to keep her or sell her. I have come here frequently in the past for my husband (kind of a computer-phobe) and today again for a hood issue, and I’m hoping I can get some feedback to help me make a decision. Here’s her story:

My husband loved her and drove her every day with relatively few problems. However, since he died, Elvira has had some issues come up. I tried to drive her every few days just to keep her happy, but she now has three tires with slow leaks and one with a fast leak, she overheats in town (but she doesn’t blow white or black smoke), and now her hood only opens on the driver side, (I've found the pics of the tool on this forum, and my son and I can make one) and she won't shift, but I have been told that's because she's out of clutch fluid...which I cannot check until the hood comes up. She has a tear in her hood where it slammed down when a tool was sticking up, and it has not been repaired. She also needs interior work, and my husband was doing little fix-it things to her all the while driving her daily. She has really high mileage (175k), but I think I remember she had a new engine or a rebuild before we bought her but I have yet to locate the paperwork.

I don’t know if I should sell her “as is” or even how to differentiate a decent offer over being taken advantage of. I would love to keep her as I really enjoy driving her (and, to be emotionally honest, it’s a piece of him I can keep), but, I don’t know if I’m making a mistake in doing so, money- and results-wise. I think I can eventually fix most of what is wrong, if I have a good book and good advice. I enjoy working on mechanical things and though my husband was the gearhead, I basically know my way around the engine and I helped him lots of times. And lord knows I have all or most of the tools required.

So, in your experienced and knowledgeable opinions, am I going to get anywhere by fixing her, or does she have too many current and potential issues, and should I let her go to someone who already knows what to do and how to forestall other things that will come up as she ages?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Sounds to me that the 'issues' are all very minor. I can't tell you how to 'feel' about the car, but I think you and your sons can enjoy that car for many years down the road. The 16 yr. old will appreciate helping you get it back on it's feet.

I would keep it, take one thing at a time and enjoy it.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,022 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Once you sell it, its gone FOREVER. What would your husband have wanted you to do with the car?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:12 PM
zuruduckydoo
Cruising

Default yes, I've thought of those things

@Mike Tommy would have wanted me to keep it, but he also would understand that if I can't fix it or afford to fix it, it would be a waste of a car, and maybe someone else would love it too.

@socal I hope they are minor, I'm afraid the overheating thing might not be. The local shop wants a bazillion dollars just to do some tests. I don't know what tests to do.

BTW I took him to the church in it for the mass, in San Fran, and I'm afraid that's when I overdid it heat-wise, but d@^^it, he was going in HIS car, not in some cheap rental!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:19 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Elvira is perfectly ok to run at 225 to 230. How hot you talking?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:23 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zuruduckydoo
@Mike Tommy would have wanted me to keep it, but he also would understand that if I can't fix it or afford to fix it, it would be a waste of a car, and maybe someone else would love it too.

@socal I hope they are minor, I'm afraid the overheating thing might not be. The local shop wants a bazillion dollars just to do some tests. I don't know what tests to do.

BTW I took him to the church in it for the mass, in San Fran, and I'm afraid that's when I overdid it heat-wise, but d@^^it, he was going in HIS car, not in some cheap rental!
I sold a 68 vette that belonged to my little brother after he died in 1989. I have regretted that for a looong time. Just saying. Sorry to hear about your loss.

If you hold on to the car for a few years, maybe your sons can restore it. Part of their memories of their dad are still in this vette.

Mike

Last edited by CorvetteMike2024; 08-27-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:25 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm so sorry for your loss. Maybe a forum member lives nearby who could give it a look and see what you're up against.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:35 PM
wnafly
Pro

So sorry for your loss. And I agree, lots of friendly folks on here, maybe someones nearby. And I would want my son to have mine someday. Your issues seem pretty minor to me except for the torn hood, that could get alittle pricey to fix unless your son can do glass work (which isn't all that hard really). Feel free to come on here and ask all the questions you want. There's some on here that are bonafide experts with these cars.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I faced the same thing 15 years ago when my wife
Charmaine died and I inherited her low-milage (22K
then, 33K now) '87 'vette (and '68 Firebird 400 ragtop).
I kept the 'vette, sold the 'bird (now in New Zealand).
The 'vette makes a heck of back-up to my uber-reliable
Pathfinders, and is a find freeway cruiser for the long
haul. It doesn't cost me that much to keep it
(registration and insurance). And it brings back good
memories of her (her prior '75 got us together).
Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't sell the car, you have a 16 year old Son. That car is powerful, but it is not like some of the newer ones that are available today.

The boy deserves that car and will feel slighted if you sell it off. Remember, it was his fathers car as well.

If you can't keep it going now, then find a spot for it to sit until your Manboy grows a little and can start wrenching himself.

As someone else pointed out, once its gone, it's gone and who knows how the 16 yo will feel about that.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
I sold a 68 vette that belonged to my little brother after he died in 1989. I have regretted that for a looong time. Just saying. Sorry to hear about your loss.

If you hold on to the car for a few years, maybe your sons can restore it. Part of their memories of their dad are still in this vette.

Mike
& sorry for your loss.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=zuruduckydoo;1575146072BTW I took him to the church in it for the mass, in San Fran, and I'm afraid that's when I overdid it heat-wise, but d@^^it, he was going in HIS car, not in some cheap rental![/QUOTE]

I don't want to sound ghoulish or like I'm making some sort of sick joke, (and I hope I misunderstand your quote) but are you saying you drove your husband's body to the funeral mass in his Corvette? I didn't think that was legal.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 PM
npbassman
Racer

So sorry to hear about your loss.

Originally Posted by jhammons01
once its gone, it's gone and who knows how the 16 yo will feel about that.
and I'd keep the car for your boys until they're old enough to turn a wrench on it and drive it responsibly.

Mike
Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pianoguy
I'm so sorry for your loss. Maybe a forum member lives nearby who could give it a look and see what you're up against.
Beat me to it. Anyone on here that lives in her area that has some spare time and can address some of these issues? If you were here, we'd have it all ironed out in a weekend. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:54 PM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My cars tend to have personalities as well. I sold my '83 Olds Cutlass drag car. Her name was Belle. (as in Southern Belle) I told the new owner that she was used to me and very picky about how she is driven. For two weeks Belle wouldn't let him drive her. Shortly after he called me excited. He told me, "I talked to Belle and we worked it out. She's runnin' great now!"

My truck is the same way, she won't let my wife drive her at all. When I was deployed, the starter went out and the engine seized. (water got into the cylinders) I got it running like brand new again when I came home on leave. When I went back, my wife only drove her a couple times and she quit running again. This time it was a broken fuel line sucking air. (the trucks a diesel)

There's usually an adjustment period before they realize Dad's not coming back. They hyper ventilate for a while, but settle down. Elvira will be ok as soon as she gets used to you. I think it's funny because Elvira is the name of my '68 Chevelle also. Don't sell her. She'll be ok in a few weeks. Just fix the nit-picky things and have a talk with her. It sounds wierd, but it will actually help. You'll see.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:08 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss as well. As others have mentioned, the repairs needed don't sound like anything major, with the exception of possible body work and a repaint on the hood. Cali's not too local to me or I'd offer to give you a hand, and I'm sure someone will step up.

As far as selling it, sounds like you have an emotional attachment to it. My take is, it doesn't sound practical to keep, but I'm not in your shoes. These cars need maintenance and if you can't do your own work, it can get expensive. The adult in me also thinks it's not a car for a teenager. Just my 2 cents.

If you decided to sell it, I would guess the car is probably in the $3500-$5000 price range based on what you described. I you decide to keep it and have some mechanical ability and tools, the good thing is, this forum is a wealth of information if you have questions along the way. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 PM
#70SM2
Racer

WOW' I am so sorry for you're loss. I recently lost my dad, it is devastating. It sounds to me this car was your husbands baby. There are many opinions here, from my perspective, maintaining,modifying & racing my 86-C4 Corvette. It is a joy, but requires technical expertise. And $$. These older Corvettes are really not for novices, unless they can afford it. They are definitely not for teen-agers to drive.! Unless young kids are brought up around super fast cars, taught the dangers & responsibilities. Don't let them near this car. This is not a car for kids. I understand sentimental reasons. One of my best friends was killed in high school because his rich dad bought him 427ci. Stingray. My opinion: 'Sell it'

Get notified of new replies

To I need help--I've inherited Elvira (long post from a newbie)

Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 PM
ethree
Instructor

Sorry about your husband.

In my opinion, there are other priorities than maintaining an old car, no matter how sentimental. Unfortunately, given the current poor market for Corvettes, I wouldn't expect more than a couple of $k for it.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Lrod
Burning Brakes

Most old Vettes are a hobby, turning wrenches and swearing. If you and your boys are into the hobby keep it, if not, sell it and take them on a vacation, or buy them BMX bikes they can enjoy now.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:29 AM
KARR
Racer

Originally Posted by jrzvette
I don't want to sound ghoulish or like I'm making some sort of sick joke, (and I hope I misunderstand your quote) but are you saying you drove your husband's body to the funeral mass in his Corvette? I didn't think that was legal.
I'm going to guess she meant his ashes......

To OP.. I'm very sorry for your loss. I have to agree with many others here and say hold onto Elvira....

Quick Reply: I need help--I've inherited Elvira (long post from a newbie)