Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:01 PM
American Raven
C3 Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Starter Problems '95 LT1 and Sticking Ignition Switch

My '95 must want some TLC and $$$.

The rack and pinion unit I ordered from Advance Auot fell through because none are availbale d/t lack of cores.

Over the past couple of months, I can turn the ignition switch and get a "grunt" from the starter but it doesn't turn. All lights stay on in the dash. I release the key and let it spring back, then turn it again and the starter engages. It's gone from doing this once a week to a couple of times a day. Before I start replacing the starter, I just want to be sure this is the problem.

Share your knowledge and wisdom with this poor and broke Corvette lover.

Also, the ignition switch has gotten harder and harder to turn, binding then releasing. How difficult is rebuilding the guts of the steering column? I want to do the best job while I'm in there, so how can I repair the "slop" in the steering wheel (when the sterring wheel is locked, there is some free play in turning and lateral movement.)

It sounds like a have a couple of projects for this winter, doesn't it?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:16 PM
American Raven
C3 Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

BUMP

Hey people, I'm just asking a question to prevent re-inventing the wheel. I'm far from a C4 guru and I'm living on a limited budget, so needless parts swapping isn't something I can afford. Before some smartass says, "Use the SEARCH function," I have.

The symptoms I'm reporting about the way the starter is acting - is it [i]probably[/b] the starter not engaging correctly and binding, then working correctly the next time, or is it a bad starter, or possibly something else? AT least I'm not trying to blame the problem on VATS or the OPTI.

Corvette Central wants almost 200 bucks + shipping for a starter, Advance Auto sells them for $119.00. Any words of advice or warning before I start considering spending my hard-earned George Washingtons?

Thanks for any information that is helpful.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

My ignition lock cylinder was sticking, so I sprayed some WD40 between the cylinder and column. I held a paper towel behind it to keep from getting WD40 everywhere. I would try to get the cylinder to rotate freely first.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:05 PM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by American Raven
My '95 must want some TLC and $$$.

The rack and pinion unit I ordered from Advance Auot fell through because none are availbale d/t lack of cores.

Over the past couple of months, I can turn the ignition switch and get a "grunt" from the starter but it doesn't turn. All lights stay on in the dash. I release the key and let it spring back, then turn it again and the starter engages. It's gone from doing this once a week to a couple of times a day. Before I start replacing the starter, I just want to be sure this is the problem.

Share your knowledge and wisdom with this poor and broke Corvette lover.

Also, the ignition switch has gotten harder and harder to turn, binding then releasing. How difficult is rebuilding the guts of the steering column? I want to do the best job while I'm in there, so how can I repair the "slop" in the steering wheel (when the sterring wheel is locked, there is some free play in turning and lateral movement.)

It sounds like a have a couple of projects for this winter, doesn't it?
Like Siveck said, I would WD40 the ignition switch. It sounds like your starter solenoid might be acting up, or possibly your battery terminals might be needing cleaned/tightened. As far as your steering column goes...the tilt mechanism is aluminum, and rebuild kits are long since discontinued. Over time, the holes in the tilt mechanism get wallowed out, thus getting sloppy. It's usually caused by using the steering wheel to pull yourself up out of the car. Your best bet is to find a complete column out of a scrap yard somewhere, and hope that it's not as sloppy as the one in your car.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to borrow a known good battery and see if that get's rid og the problem. Much easier to swap than the starter, so I would rule it out first.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 AM
American Raven
C3 Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

As far as your steering column goes...the tilt mechanism is aluminum, and rebuild kits are long since discontinued. Over time, the holes in the tilt mechanism get wallowed out, thus getting sloppy. It's usually caused by using the steering wheel to pull yourself up out of the car.
I'll find a picture of how the tilt is designed and where the wallowed out holes are. Maybe it's something that removing the fatigued part, placing it under a drill press, enlarging the holes then placing brass bushings in the holes that are the inside diameter of the original holes. I know it's not quick and easly like a rebuild kit, but us C4 and F-body fanatics have to be creative considering the shrinkling supply of NOS parts.

If anybody has tried the repair that I suggested, please share with me your success/failure story.

You might want to borrow a known good battery and see if that get's rid og the problem.
Bought a new battery last night. Checking out the old battery, there is a brace that is on top of the battery that has pierced the case and is causing mucho corrosion of said brace. I will clean the brace and terminals with baking soda, water and a firm toothbrush today when I change the battery.

*Sigh* Having to remove a body panel to replace the battery is new to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Problems '95 LT1 and Sticking Ignition Switch

Quick Reply: Starter Problems '95 LT1 and Sticking Ignition Switch