EGR delete, pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:39 PM
MeanMachine350
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
Default EGR delete, pros and cons

My EGR valve has gone bad and before I start burying the area, I have to either buy a new one or do a delete. A new EGR valve is around $85 from NAPA but none of the local stores have them, I'd have to order it online or go to a stealership and buy one for probably over $100. This is making me really considering doing an EGR delete because I'd like to clean up the engine bay as well as save money.

I've heard some say it will make your engine knock to death and it will cause the engine to go hot but some are saying it is fine to do. I'm confused on what is the direct effect of deleting an EGR other than a possible check engine light. Can anyone help me out?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

there is no performance advantages
Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 PM
PAINTER MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I changed to a mini ram 3 years ago. It doesn't even have an EGR. You will have no adverse effects without it. You will also have no performance increase without it.

If you want to keep the EGR valve, I have one that was 2 years old when I removed it.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

My page has my reasons for deleting vs keeping.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:47 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
there is no performance advantages

Just replace and be done with it.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:11 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

pros- less oxides of nitrogen polluting the air, and super easy to install.
cons- $90
Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Street car with stock cam - replace
Cam with a lot of overlap that duplicates its function - delete.
If you decide to delete be sure to program it out of your tune.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Paid 35 for mine at autozone. It does help keep combustion temps down and if your in a smog inspect state you better not take it off.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 PM
MeanMachine350
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by PAINTER MAN
I changed to a mini ram 3 years ago. It doesn't even have an EGR. You will have no adverse effects without it. You will also have no performance increase without it.

If you want to keep the EGR valve, I have one that was 2 years old when I removed it.

How much will you be willing to let yours go for? Does it still hold pressure for about 20 seconds before starting to drop?

I did some research and noticed some people saying it will cause the intake to get much hotter if it is deleted and I just had my intake and everything above it painted/powdercoated so I wouldn't want to risk it getting ruined from excessive heat
Old 08-01-2011, 11:56 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Your intake will not overheat, thats nonsense.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

your combustion temps will be higher the moment you crack the throttle from idle. The EGR simply dilutes the intake charge with some dirty exhaust to displace a little oxygen which cause a lower combustion temp right at the moment you start to get into the gas. this prevents the formation of a certain pollution that exists in really hot temps with oxygen present. Sometimes cars might ping without EGR a little more- but basically it is for emissions.

It only activates when the throttle transitions from low engine loads to accel. It doesn't affect wide open power at all.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

One advantage-

the inside of your intake won't be covered with black crap (carbon) when you take it off.
The following users liked this post:
jseremba (01-22-2023)
Old 08-02-2011, 02:09 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
One advantage-

the inside of your intake won't be covered with black crap (carbon) when you take it off.
Or at least improve it. Depends on how much blow-by you have and if your PVC setup is working too. Even a deleted EGR setup will have some carbon.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:11 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by mike100
pros- less oxides of nitrogen polluting the air
that's the one worth knowing more about. One of those cheesy water vapor injection scammers said NOx is 296 times more "polluting" than carbon. I think carbon is also heavier than air. So, that part of the speal might have had some truth to it.

NOx is what causes "smog" if I understand it correctly.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:41 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
NOx is what causes "smog" if I understand it correctly.
From Wikipedia:
"Photochemical smog was first described in the 1950s. It is the chemical reaction of sunlight, nitrogen oxides and volatile organic compounds in the atmosphere, which leaves airborne particles and ground-level ozone.[2] This noxious mixture of air pollutants can include the following:

* Aldehydes
* Nitrogen oxides, such as nitrogen dioxide
* Peroxyacyl nitrates
* Tropospheric ozone
* Volatile organic compounds

All of these chemicals are usually highly reactive and oxidizing. Photochemical smog is therefore considered to be a problem of modern industrialization. It is present in all modern cities, but it is more common in cities with sunny, warm, dry climates and a large number of motor vehicles.[3] Because it travels with the wind, it can affect sparsely populated areas as well."

As stated there is a pea soup of chemicals relating to auto exhaust as well as industrial emissions and natural conditions. The L.A. area has it bad because of the stable weather conditions that occur. Here in Jacksonville we get a distinct orange brown layering effect during calm hot humid summer days. This is caused mainly by our coal fire electric generating station, paper mills and various chemical plants emitting all kinds of noxious chemicals and solid particulates. Back in the 90's we had the honor of being one of two counties in Florida to have federally mandated EPA testing. This took a lot of the older badly maintained cars off the road. God forbid putting a muzzle on any of the industrial contributors.

While it isnt hard to eliminate the EGR system its easier just to replace the valve. If you are in an inspection area/state your gonna need it for the sniffer as well as the visual inspection. Right now there are no EPA inspections in JAX and the PO of my car had taken everything but the manifold valve off so I am going to pull said valve off. I will save it tho in case something changes here. I will maintain my cat(s) even when I change over to LTH's and go with a true dual set up. They dont hurt performance (hi flow cats)and help with exhaust noise as well as helping reduce emissions.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR delete, pros and cons

Quick Reply: EGR delete, pros and cons