C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1987 Horns

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default 1987 Horns

I am tired of the weak, castrated sounding horns on my 87 and I want to install some air horns. I bought a set off Ebay (a cheap set, model CHIH310, China made, so if I screw up the install the loss won't be so bad).

It was supposed to be an "Easy" install, well as everyone knows, that's BS, plus the package didn't include the required switch, wiring and the additional fuse/fuse holder.

The first thing I need to know is: is it a positive lead to the horn button (not the horn itself) or is it a negative lead. What type of switch do I need to go from the stock horns to the air horns? Has anyone installed this or any other model? Any tips as to where and how to mount the compressor and horns and how/where to run the wires? Any problem with the VATS?
thanks for any help.

Last edited by Steve59; 12-30-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

The lead under the horn button is a ground. Good luck on the rest.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Jim Nichols
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope there is some good information about this out there. I have been wanting to do the same thing. The only thing worse than the sound of a C4 horn is the C5 exhuast.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Steve59
Drifting

That's one question answered. Lead to button is a ground. Thanks. Any more advice out there?
Maybe I should have asked this also: are there people who will install this for me?Who should I look for? I can do the mechanical stuff on this car but I'm completely brain dead when it comes to the electrical stuff and don't want to do major damage to the car.

Last edited by Steve59; 12-31-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:10 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Why not head off to the local auto recycler (junk yard) and find a pair of factory horns from an early 70's full size Caddy, Olds 98 or Buick PArk Avenue? These were meant to be heard!

These types of horns are a single wire and use the same flat blade connector as the 87. They use the same amount of current so no worry with wiring. They are slightly larger is size but use the same type of single bolt mount.

You need to get both horns off the same car as each horn will have a different note. If there are multiple cars of the same make/model, you can pull the horns from opposite sides of the car. But the Cad, Olds, and Buick models should all have the same pair of horns.

IF you can't do that, Hella makes a very nice OEM style horn with a single wire hookup that has 118dB output but not the high tweety note that you get from some air horns. Griot's Garage has them here. With some searching, you could probably find them a bit cheaper, but this particular horn is loud.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:42 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like one of your horns is dead. There was a thread about spraying some penetrating oil inside the hole of the little screw to try and fix that. I find both stock horns blowing to be loud enough.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Why not head off to the local auto recycler (junk yard) and find a pair of factory horns from an early 70's full size Caddy, Olds 98 or Buick PArk Avenue? These were meant to be heard!

These types of horns are a single wire and use the same flat blade connector as the 87. They use the same amount of current so no worry with wiring. They are slightly larger is size but use the same type of single bolt mount.

You need to get both horns off the same car as each horn will have a different note. If there are multiple cars of the same make/model, you can pull the horns from opposite sides of the car. But the Cad, Olds, and Buick models should all have the same pair of horns.

IF you can't do that, Hella makes a very nice OEM style horn with a single wire hookup that has 118dB output but not the high tweety note that you get from some air horns. Griot's Garage has them here. With some searching, you could probably find them a bit cheaper, but this particular horn is loud.
Thanks, this is good info. Never thought about an after market or used horns.

I did go to my mechanic and he will install the air horns. I'll see how that works out. That system will have a switch to go from the regular horns to the air horns. If I don't like that I'll go the replacement route.

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 Horns

Quick Reply: 1987 Horns