Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Painting a targa

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:31 PM
ken4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by ken4; 02-05-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default quicker than masking

remove it...ez do, no oem screws/clips/glue/etc...start at trailing edge of top (i start drivers side as i am right handed) with small piece of 2x4 wood ~4 inches long...lay/hold wood block lightly on roof, sharp edge of wood against trim, tap wood block gently with small hammer until trim moves off part way...advance wood abt 4'' and tap with hammer again till trim moves a bit...repeat/repeat advance and tap, returning periodically to starting point to increase trim displacement while carefully observing trim to avoid kinks/etc...to re-install the trim after painting, position trim end at same distance from targa trailing edge as it was initially (you DID measure this, of course) and use the wood block to distribute the blow as the trim is tapped back on.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 PM
larry00
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I painted my trim but it is already poping off the chrome ! Oh well I'm fixing to repaint anyway !
Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

No need to remove it. Get a price from a body shop. I had mine done for $350.00 and it looks like new.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:25 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

After reading it I was wondering if you were painting the trim or the top. Either way, remove the trim. The trim may require a little touch up after re-installing, but you will get a much more professional result. It is hard to mask, and you will miss spots on the trim or the top when painting. Another problem with painting the top with the trim on is that the paint (especially the clear coat) will tend to pool around the lip of the trim, looking bad and sometimes causing pealing down the line if you try to remove it without cutting along the edge. Anway, it only takes a couple of minutes to do it right. Just be carefull not to kink the trim.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:23 PM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by redrose
remove it...ez do, no oem screws/clips/glue/etc...start at trailing edge of top (i start drivers side as i am right handed) with small piece of 2x4 wood ~4 inches long...lay/hold wood block lightly on roof, sharp edge of wood against trim, tap wood block gently with small hammer until trim moves off part way...advance wood abt 4'' and tap with hammer again till trim moves a bit...repeat/repeat advance and tap, returning periodically to starting point to increase trim displacement while carefully observing trim to avoid kinks/etc...to re-install the trim after painting, position trim end at same distance from targa trailing edge as it was initially (you DID measure this, of course) and use the wood block to distribute the blow as the trim is tapped back on.
I glued some foam on end of wood and edges for removal and reapplication. Take your time and repeat, repeat, hit it gently or you will kink it. BTW, correct black color is T-3 Hot Rod Black, got it at NAPA. PlastiKote.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting a targa

Quick Reply: Painting a targa