C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

yes or no on optima red top battery

Old 02-06-2011, 09:30 PM
RockHeadss
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default yes or no on optima red top battery

Im thinking on getting a optima red top battery for the Vette. I was talking to some c4 owners and they say that the optima red top battery is no good, For the Vette's.
what is a good battery for the c4's?

Mark
Old 02-06-2011, 09:36 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just about any battery your car doesnt know what brand is in it.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 PM
RICEKILA
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Marco had an Optima when I bought him that the previous owner installed. It failed shortly after I bought the car. It was about 18 months old. I replaced it with my favorite battery....the yellow Everstart from Wal-Mart.

I've heard both sides of the coin on Optimas. Perhaps the one in my car was allowed to run down a few times....that might have caused it to fail. That was the only personal experience I've had with them. I've also heard stories where they last 8+ years. Go figure.

To me, the Everstart is such a good battery, I can't justify any expense beyond that for a battery. And there's a Wal-Mart on every corner of the country if I ever need to exchange it.

YMMV
Old 02-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Optima=no corrosive fumes
Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Optima = giant POS.

Wouldn't put one back in any of my cars if they gave it to me for free.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
Optima = giant POS.

Wouldn't put one back in any of my cars if they gave it to me for free.

Big pos.

Make that the three in a row I tried. Well, ok one worked for a day and then was dead the next morning- and wldnt accept a recharge.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First one endured 6 years of abuse. Finally died last year. New one is doing just fine.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Running optima for many years no problem. However you have to mod the underside cruise control backet in order to get it to fit or else it will contact the top positive post. At least you do in a MY90-96 Just FYI
Old 02-06-2011, 11:43 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Just about any battery your car doesnt know what brand is in it.
A lot of money for the same 12vdc. Although it would make sense if you are planing on flipping the vette over. On the other hand, there is the school of thought that if it costs a lot more, it has to be a lot better.

Last edited by zr1fred; 02-06-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:23 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Crepitus
Optima=no corrosive fumes
BS. An Optima battery is a lead acid battery with the acid contained in a gel instead of being liquid. The exact same chemical reactions occur during charging and discharging.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Mustang_Eater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a red opti dry cell in my C4 1989 For 8 months now no problems to report.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I have an optima in my 96. No problems in two years.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Interstate for 5 yrs no problems
Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Optima Red Top in my car, going on 5 years with no problems. I was putting a battery in every spring until I started using a battery tender, maybe that's why the Optima is still going strong.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Optima Red Top in my car, going on 5 years with no problems. I was putting a battery in every spring until I started using a battery tender, maybe that's why the Optima is still going strong.

Yep! A lead-acid battery that is not being charged regularly will develop a lead-sulfate layer on the plates. This sulfate, formed as part of the electro-chemical process, coats the lead plates and effectively reduces the surface area exposed to the electrolyte (sulphuric acid). This effectively increases the internal resistance, and thus limiting current output over time to the point the battery may not be able to be revived - aka won't take a charge.

However, (short lesson) if the battery is continuously being trickle charged, the formation of the sulfate layering will not occur - or at least not as quickly - and the battery's potential will be substantially extended beyond that of an "un-tended" battery.

Not all battery chargers are alike. The Battery Tender is of the type referred to as a "smart charger". It's heart is a micro processor that senses when the battery needs to be charged, and when it is fully charged. When fully charged, the BT reverts from charging mode (higher current) to a maintenance or "trickle current". This small current not only prevents sulfide formation, but will supply the tiny current used by the ECM to keep the memory alive; killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

To some extent, the formation of sulfate is unavoidable, even with charging. Otherwise the batteries would last forever. Critical to the longevity of a lead-acid battery is (in short) dependent upon the charging taking place AND the concentration of the sulphuric acid. My point in mentioning the concentration level of sulphuric acid is it is one factor that has a drastic effect on not only longevity, but over all performance. Get it wrong, and all bets are off, as far as battery performance and life goes! This may be the reason some batteries suffer pre-mature failure. However, ignorance with regard to maintenance is by far the usual culprit. (But, this - ignorance - won't be a problem going forward, huh?)

So, I'll suffice to say that it isn't what you spend on a battery that will make the difference, it is the way it is maintained that will have the lion's share of the effective life of any lead-acid battery.

Y'all read all the battery manufacture's hype ya want. Me? Like Frizzle does: every 5 or so years I'll go down to the local WallMart and pick up a new one. Trust me... You hang one of those little 800 series Battery Tenders on the wall and plug it in every time you park (unless it is a daily driver), and unless you leave the lights on and run it flat a (very) few times, your battery woes will be a thing of the past!

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 02-07-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Spend the extra bux somewhere else. The Optima is designed really for odd locations and mounting. Its great for 4X4's for off roading but I see no need to put it a regular car under regular situations. My .02 anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To yes or no on optima red top battery

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

So, I'll suffice to say that it isn't what you spend on a battery that will make the difference, it is the way it is maintained that will have the lion's share of the effective life of any lead-acid battery.

Y'all read all the battery manufacture's hype ya want. Me? Like Frizzle does: every 5 or so years I'll go down to the local WallMart and pick up a new one. Trust me... You hang one of those little 800 series Battery Tenders on the wall and plug it in every time you park (unless it is a daily driver), and unless you leave the lights on and run it flat a (very) few times, your battery woes will be a thing of the past!

P.

I replaced the battery in my '96 back in the summer of 2006.
That same battery is still in there going strong.
It was just a regular battery (whatever brand O'Reilly Auto Parts sells).

If you have to replace the battery every spring or your car won't start after sitting for a week or two, then it's not the fault of the battery.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
If you have to replace the battery every spring or your car won't start after sitting for a week or two, then it's not the fault of the battery.
I killed 4 Optimas in a 3 year span, 2 Corvettes, 2 killed batteries each, all replaced by Optima under warranty. 1 of them, less than 6 months old and cared for correctly actually died in the track car WHILE running on the track. The 2 that died in my Z06 in less than a year each both died with it being used as a daily driver, not sitting for weeks or even days at a time. With ZERO other changes the Interstate batteries that replaced the POS Optimas have worked flawlessly since then.

If you do the math on the warranty replacement, I have 2 brand new Optima batteries sitting in my garage that I wouldn't even think about putting in my cars.

F-Optima.

My $.02. Take it or leave it.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 02-07-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfb
BS. An Optima battery is a lead acid battery with the acid contained in a gel instead of being liquid. The exact same chemical reactions occur during charging and discharging.
I thought Optima batteries were a AGM, not a gel type.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: yes or no on optima red top battery