Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1987 Conv.Restore - A Greenwood Corvette is born

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Greenwood-Robban
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Conv.Resto. A Greenwood-vette is born. The Resurrection!!!

OK, First of all,

I have noticed that some people canīt handle that others are putting wings or bodykits on their C4īs. If you are one of those, please donīt bother to comment this thread. There are other threads for you to read. I started this thread just to show the ones who likes C4īs with bodykits, my own project.

Introduction:

My name is Robert and i live in Sweden. In 2004 i bought myself the car iīve always wanted. A Corvette C4 1984-1990. I only had one demand while looking for a car, it had to have a body kit on.

I found the car after some searching in Germany, bought it, and imported it to Sweden. The car is a 1987 Convertible Auto, Medium blue metallic, as good as fully loaded except for the Z-51 package, and most important, it had a bodykit.

The first winter i had to restore and replace the convertible top and aswell replace the stereo. So i built a completely new stereosystem in the car. Many nice summers followed but i still had a picture of how the car should look like. 3 years ago i added a Magnaflow catback system.

The paintwork has during all years been quite worned out with alot of dents and stonechips and some clearcoat peeling of. I always had a dream to restore the car but due to the costs of just repainting it, it had to be the way it was. Time changes and i could finally afford to restore the car, which has been in progress for a year now.

I start with showing you what the car looked like before the restore started.

Just when i had bought it

2005 when i had the top replaced

To be continued...

/ R

Last edited by Greenwood-Robban; 01-08-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I think it looks nice. Love the wheels. Who makes those?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:33 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Those wheels are some of the best looking wheels I've seen on a C4! How did you get the paint match on the rims? The entire car is beautiful.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:33 AM
1998prince
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice car - I like the two-tone seats.

I've not seen rims like that either, were those stock for a Corvette in Europe?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very tastefully done.
Mike
Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 AM
bitsa85
Instructor

Looks good. I put a body kit on my Vette also.I think that the Greenwood kits look very good.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 PM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Not crazy about the steering wheel but the Vette looks sweet.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A very sharp and unique car!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 PM
zaragoza
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Nice.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the door handles and side moldings painted body color.

Looks good!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Greenwood-Robban
Advanced

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
I think it looks nice. Love the wheels. Who makes those?
Thank you. It was the prestige wheel manufacturer Breyton who made these once upon a time. They are not available anymore.

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Those wheels are some of the best looking wheels I've seen on a C4! How did you get the paint match on the rims? The entire car is beautiful.
Thanks Actually they where on the car when i bought it. They had been chromed sometime and also painted inside to the cars colour but the chrome was peeling off and one of the rims is, unfortunately, a bit oval

Originally Posted by 1998prince
Nice car - I like the two-tone seats.

Thanks, someone has once upon a time made everything in the interior two toned and also added some other blue details in the cars interior.

I've not seen rims like that either, were those stock for a Corvette in Europe?
No, these are aftermarket wheels. A Corvette sold in Europe is looking just the same except for the side view mirrors and "headlight wash nozzles".

Originally Posted by 78pacer
Very tastefully done.
Mike
Thank you, once again, these are the old pictures,

Originally Posted by bitsa85
Looks good. I put a body kit on my Vette also.I think that the Greenwood kits look very good.
HELL YEAH, way to go man!!!

Originally Posted by CRUZN C4
Not crazy about the steering wheel but the Vette looks sweet.
That wheel is replaced some years ago into a Sparco wheel made of suede.

Originally Posted by pianoguy
A very sharp and unique car!
Thank you, it is currently being much more unique than these old pictures.

Originally Posted by MyFirst90coupe
I like the door handles and side moldings painted body color.

Looks good!
Thank you
Old 03-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Greenwood-Robban
Advanced

....Part II

So, thanks everyone for you nice comments. i was in a bit of a hurry when i made the first post and also didnīt had the pictures of the car on that computer.

So, you have seen what it looked like when i bought it. As i mentioned above, unfortunately, one of the rims was oval shaped, making tremendous unbalance at highway speeds. Also, the chrome was peeling off (they wherenīt chromed from factory) so they made the car look more rubbish than it was. So i found a pair of original turbines which i got painted and put 4 new Yokohamas (awesome grip!) on them. The guy who blastered and painted them forgot to take on off the center caps off, so he damaged it. Also, no clearcoat was put on so the result was not too proffessional...

To continue the "timeline", 2005 in the Dyno:

Me, in 2004 with the old conv.top

4 years ago, i finally managed to afford the real deal. The Greenwood kit, which deserves a story for itself. Alot of people thinks that just a wing or sideskirts on a C4 means Greenwood. Wrong wrong wrong. I knew i wanted the real thing, saying Greenwood on the parts, but alot of companys have the knock offs. So i did some research on my own and found Mold Kraft. I got the story from them and it is simple. For the early C4s, Greenwood only produced TWO different bodykits.

1: The traditional AERO KIT, consisting of 8 pieces and the signature wing with the "Greenwood" text on the wingsides.

2: The more unusual MOTORSPORTS KIT, consists of 12 pieces. Is actually a complete different kit compared to the Aero kit. The front spoiler of the Motorsport kit is 3 pieces with a "G" molded into it. The side skirts consists of 2 pieces, just like Aero kit, however, the sideskirts on the Motorsportkit are bigger than the Aero kitīs. Also, the door side moldings has the text Greenwood text molded. The rear quarter panels is also bigger than the Aero kits. Motorsportkit also features the rear tunnel, covering the sparewheel, the traditional signature Greenwood rearwing but also the piece that goes between the exhaust tips, also saying Greenwood. Every kit besides these are not Greenwoodīs, they are knockoffs or another design.

However, what i wanted to tell you is that i ofcourse went with the Motorsport kit and after many phonecalls i recieved two monster boxes here in Sweden. Yes, the Greenwood kit was very expensive, but i wanted the original. Imagine shipping two big boxes from Florida to Sweden with customs fee and taxes etc..

A brand new Greenwood Motorsports kit:

A piece of the side skirt and the door molding showing this is the real deal:

I was in heaven by now! I took the car to the paintshop and after spending everything i had on the Greenwood kit, the next doom came. The price of repainting the car. So, the Greenwood pieces was put away in my garage for a few years...

3 years ago i put on my Magnaflow catback system. A very nice exhaust system, everyone here in Sweden seems to go with Borla, so i wanted something different.

The following picture is shot summer 2009, the last time i drove her:

By now, the milestone came. The Evolution got started!

The car just before the start signal went off, early spring 2010. You can see the bad condition of the paint.

Dismantling the old strange bodykit, the car looks so naked:

My good friend Paul came and helped since he has put on the Greenwood Aero kit on his lovely 1989 Convertible. We prefit the sideskirts:

The front corner in place aswell

After drilling the holes for the rearwing etc we started to take the car apart.

it takes some time edit all pictures so...End of part II

And oh, gentlemen, to be continued...
Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 PM
bitsa85
Instructor

I still have to paint my car. I bought a knock off Greenwood motorsports kit. I could not see spending more for the bodykit than what I spent on the car for a real Greenwood kit. But just looking at the photos of your kit I can tell it is better quality than mine
Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 AM
Greenwood-Robban
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitsa85
I still have to paint my car. I bought a knock off Greenwood motorsports kit. I could not see spending more for the bodykit than what I spent on the car for a real Greenwood kit. But just looking at the photos of your kit I can tell it is better quality than mine
I have to ask, the rearwing of your kit, does it have two or three "legs"?

The fit of the Greenwood pieces was really good. I have never dealt with bodykits but this was simple, just a few modifications here and there to make it fit. Also, the paintshop was stunned over the quality of the Greenwoodparts. He told me he had never been working with ground effects with this nice quality before.

I have a whole bunch more pictures to upload but it takes some time to edit them before uploading. The pictures posted this far is taken a year ago.

I want to see your progress
Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 AM
bitsa85
Instructor

I will take some pics and post them

I did not buy the wing for my car. I fabricated a small spoiler that I installed. I will take some pics of that as well.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sharp car. That blue/ black contrast is nice. Congrats on your resto project.

I like body kits & wings on C4s. I have a Greenwood wing for my 94 (not put on, yet).
And the 86 convertible I picked up last month has a wing, also. (Not Greenwood, has Corvette on the sides).

Looking forward to watching your progress with it.

Are you selling the old body kit to help recover some of the costs of the Greenwood kit?

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 Conv.Restore - A Greenwood Corvette is born

Old 03-24-2011, 03:48 PM
lumij3
Pro

great write up and pics. looking forward to the rest of the story.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

I've seen those wheels on something else and didn't like them, but I like them with paint on this C4. Shame you couldn't make them work. I also like the two tone interior and color matching stiched top. I'm sure if was quite the custom in its day.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Greenwood-Robban
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnnymo63
Sharp car. That blue/ black contrast is nice. Congrats on your resto project.

I like body kits & wings on C4s. I have a Greenwood wing for my 94 (not put on, yet).
And the 86 convertible I picked up last month has a wing, also. (Not Greenwood, has Corvette on the sides).

Looking forward to watching your progress with it.

Are you selling the old body kit to help recover some of the costs of the Greenwood kit?
Interesting! i was looking in that thread. my god, i thought mine was in bad shape when i started my resto Youīve got some work ahead of you I have seen the Greenwood wing design on some cars, but instead of Greenwood, it says Corvette. I havenīt seen the version you have where the wingtips go so far down the sides of the car. Interesting

No the old body kit is in my garage, i want to save it. Just in case. You never know, i have a dream about a 1990 6spd manual coupe aswell...

Quick Reply: 1987 Conv.Restore - A Greenwood Corvette is born