C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Power door lock

Old 04-02-2011, 10:48 PM
daddysvet92
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power door lock

On my 92 coupe:
It seems that when I push the electric button to unlock the doors the passangers side unlocks with no problem, but the drivers side will not go forward enough to unlock the door.
I have taken the inside door handle apart and made sure that the black slid bar isn't rubbing and not allowing that slid bar to move forward enough to unlock the door, but it still is doing the same thing.

Do you think that my actuator is bad and not allowing the push rod to travel far enough forward to unlock the door?
Is the actuator hard to get at and remove?
Can you take the actuator apart and clean it so it works properly or do you have to buy a new one?

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by daddysvet92; 04-02-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

To access the actuator, you need to remove the door panel. From there you can probably see if the actuator moves at all, when not attached to the lock rod. I don't think the actuators are easily serviceable, and they're not terribly expensive, so it's probably best to replace if it seems to not be working well.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:10 PM
daddysvet92
Pro

Originally Posted by VetteMed
To access the actuator, you need to remove the door panel. From there you can probably see if the actuator moves at all, when not attached to the lock rod. I don't think the actuators are easily serviceable, and they're not terribly expensive, so it's probably best to replace if it seems to not be working well.
Thanks for the info!
The lock rod does move now when you push the electrical button, but not far enough forward to unlock the door!

Is the removal straight forward, anything I should know first?

Where is a good place to get replacements from?

Thanks
Chris
Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

I'd check RockAuto for a new replacement, their prices are hard to beat.

Hardest part of the job is the removal of the door panel, if you've done that before it's not a biggie. Really just a lot of screws on the door panel, have to know where they are before prying and breaking anything.

Also, the actuators are riveted to the door frame, so you'll need to drill out those rivets after removing the door panel.

Not a bad job but if you haven't been into that area of the car before just take your time.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

The tricky screws to look for on the passenger side are behind the door power window switch pull it and then go deep, Behind the clear lens where the light is and underneath the door loock rod. You need to pull the door lock slider off and out of the way to get at that screw. The rest are straight forward. As stated by vettmed plan on drilling out the old actuator. Suggest raising the window while drilling out the rivets. If you slip or power through you might tag the window. GC
Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 PM
daddysvet92
Pro

Originally Posted by VetteMed
I'd check RockAuto for a new replacement, their prices are hard to beat.

Hardest part of the job is the removal of the door panel, if you've done that before it's not a biggie. Really just a lot of screws on the door panel, have to know where they are before prying and breaking anything.

Also, the actuators are riveted to the door frame, so you'll need to drill out those rivets after removing the door panel.

Not a bad job but if you haven't been into that area of the car before just take your time.
Yes I have had the door panels off of both sides, I replaced the weather stripping and replaced a few switches, so that won't be a problem.
I ordered my new actuator, and then the fun begins!

Thanks for everyones help and I'll keep you updated with the end results.

Thanks
Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Power door lock

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power door lock