Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Polishing Acrylic Top and Spraying New Clearcoat - anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Polishing Acrylic Top and Spraying New Clearcoat - anyone?

I did a search, and there must be a hundred threads on stripping the old faded and dull clearcoat off the acrylic top. Most go through a 600 grit, 1000 grit, and 1500 grit sanding and then buffing it out.

However, I haven't found any where someone sprayed new clearcoat on after the sanding and polishing.

It seems like all agree that sanding and polishing does well, but then maintenance is a bit higher to keep it nice. So why not after getting it clear again doesn't anyone just spray a new clear coat on it?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I know someone that did that but they sold the car, so I dont know how it did long term. I will say it looked good at the time.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

My targa top was crazed. This spring I wet sanded using 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000. Then machine polish with Mequires PlasticX, then painstakingly hand polished with the Mequires PlasticX. I am going to use their Swirl Remover after I go to the track to clean it up some more.

A lot of work, but it turned out 100% better. Now it does not look like a new one. I have some spider cracking you can see from the inside and a few bigger scratches, but the overall effect it is very very nice. Even in direct sunlight, it has a nice even dark tint to it that reflects nicely.

I just treat it like I do the paint. Keep it dusted with my California Duster and spray on my Showroom Shine spray wax and wipe with microfiber often. If I ever get some scratches in it, I can just polish them out.

In fact it looks better than my paint. Which I have yet to have buffed but it is not horrible.

I would not clear it again because polishing it could be more difficult and it could peel leaving you where you started. I do not see any additional "maintenance" with the un coated top.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
I did a search, and there must be a hundred threads on stripping the old faded and dull clearcoat off the acrylic top. Most go through a 600 grit, 1000 grit, and 1500 grit sanding and then buffing it out.

However, I haven't found any where someone sprayed new clearcoat on after the sanding and polishing.

It seems like all agree that sanding and polishing does well, but then maintenance is a bit higher to keep it nice. So why not after getting it clear again doesn't anyone just spray a new clear coat on it?
If you're going to clear the top there's no need for the several "multiple" grades of sanding and certainly not the "polish" before the clear.

I did a top several years ago with Sikkens acrylic/urethane but it's spent the last 6 years in the basement. It's never been on a car. I really don't care for the transparent tops and it just sits. I've often thought about a sale, just haven't been motivated!

I believe my top was done in 600 wet for the prep. The clear was polished afterwards

I've done acrylic headlamps with the same procedure and they've done well. No sand and polish just sand and clear with a quality automotive clear. The materials for the clear coat are expensive.

If you've an acquaintance that paints you would want to have it prepped and then have them clear it when they do the clear on the production repair of whatever!

I'd ask the painter how he would like it prepped!

I don't believe a DIY would be a fix but then again maybe "why not"!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm looking at a '94, and the top has dulled to where it looks like wax paper.

After seeing so many here sand and polish, only to have to keep at it with the polishing, I though maybe spraying clear is a good idea. Of course, it would take so little clear, I couldn't buy that at the paint store, so I also thought of catching a body shop that would just shoot clear on it while shooting clear on their main job. Not that I think that would be free, but no one is going to buy a couple of ounces of clear anywhere.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:40 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

What about polishing it then putting some a clear sheet on with the same materials they use on quarter panels, invisible bra or something like that?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:02 AM
whitenow
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default spray can

I just used a shaker can of clear acrylic. It is not fantastic, but a bunch better than before...
Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 AM
mcgilvrey007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I clear coated mine, and it came out perfectly. 600 grit wet sanding at get it smooth and remove all surface imperfections, through amount of degreaser to prevent fish eyes from forming, prep for paint then shoot. With a good clear that will lay flat, you won't need to buff, but a quality clear will look good for 15+ years if taken care of

Last edited by mcgilvrey007; 04-12-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Damn you auto correct
Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Yes, they do clear coat them. A week later, hit it with 2000 wet, then machine Swirl/Haze and then machine Polish.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1565381055-post1.html
Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MIKE...

Say hello to Monica and Jessica ...for me!

Now let me add my 2 cents

I used 2000 grit sand paper to strip the top on my 95 followed by Nexus plastic polish (numbers 3 then 2 ...never needed to use the number 1...

The Nexus was picked up at the local airport when it is used to clean up the windshields on air planes)... did require lots of muscle power and a buffer... but worked just fine.,..

I DID NOT spray clear coat on the surface.... no good reason to do so since the car was normally stored in a garage out of the weather

I just used regular wax on the top a few times a year then used detail spray on it when I cleaned up the the car...

Ran the car that way for 4-5 years and when I sold it the top looked like new...

Bob G.

Get notified of new replies

To Polishing Acrylic Top and Spraying New Clearcoat - anyone?

Quick Reply: Polishing Acrylic Top and Spraying New Clearcoat - anyone?