C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Service Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM
William Hull
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Mechanic

Need some help and probably advice. My 1990 is running rough. The car has 148k miles on it and two injectors are shorted out. Have talked to Jon Banner at FIC. No problem there will have 8 new injectors coming. My problem is I am no mechanic and if I were am physically not up to task now. Can anyone recommend anyone around the Glasgow, Kentucky area to do the work?
Don't really feel comfortable with regular service mechanics for my other car. Need to have EGR valve replaced and an intake manifold leak fixed at the same time as the injector swap out. My mechanic quoted 9 hrs labor for these tasks. Does this sound right to the forum members that have performed the tasks?
Appreciate any comments, advice or recommendations.
Thanks
William
Old 11-07-2012, 02:10 AM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

9 hours seems a bit much? Although I have never replaced fuel injectors before. I'm sure there are tons of members that have! Good luck!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a 91, last February my mechanic replaced the intake gasket,oil sending unit, and an oil change in 6 hours. add another hour for the injectors and EGR . He's pretty good, replaced the thermostat and water pump in 2.5 hours. But I live in Southern California, need I say more?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Suggest you ckeck with several other mechanics. R&R injectors is not rocket science, actually very easy task. I should think 2 to 3 hours at the most.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM
William Hull
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys gentlemen.
My issue is one of trust. I live in a very small town and there is no one here to work on it. Glasgow is 30 miles away, but the closest place. I understand that it is not rocket science, just me feeling good about who is doing the work. I knew it was a long shot for a forum member from Glasgow to answer, but I thought I would give it a shot.
Does anyone have a labor book? Want to confirm time to replace injectors, valve, and intake gasket.
Thanks again,
William

Get notified of new replies

To Service Mechanic

Quick Reply: Service Mechanic