C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

c4 am/fm cassette to am/fm cassette, CD player

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
itsmeitsitsmichaelt
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c4 am/fm cassette to am/fm cassette, CD player

I have a 96 with an stock am/fm cassette player. Would like to go to a stock am/fm cassette and cd player. Is there anything special that needs to be done or can i just swap it over.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I am not sure about the 96, but in the 90 you had three options. Plain cassette, Blose Cassette, and Blose Gold that had the CD. You cannot swap a plain or Blose Cassette to the Blose Gold with CD because the Gold had amps in the speakers.

96 may be different.

My advice is to ditch the entire setup and buy an aftermarket. They don't call it Blose for nothing.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

you can put a stock bose CD player in the place of the non bose radio with no problems. I did that 3 years ago and never looked back. I just wish I had Dr. Dons radio repair put a Ipod jack in mine
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Stickrz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aftermarket....

www.Crutchfield.com offers a wide variety of replacement units: Sony, Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion... name audio brands. Sizes are Single- and Double-DIN (C4 factory is 2-DIN, or double height). If you look at their free install kits, they include a "pocket" if you select a 1-DIN replacement audio head. They also offer a GM wiring harness to accommodate Bose speakers with a new head unit, with a 50% discount on this item if you purchase a head unit from them (look for the fine print, it's there).

I started by using their "Outfit my car" and found lots of single- and double-DIN units for my '96, many with Bluetooth, USB and input jacks, iPod connectivity. And last but not least, my new unit will have amber backlighting to match the rest of the panel (Alpine CDE-103BT).

fwiw
Old 05-13-2011, 10:10 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
you can put a stock bose CD player in the place of the non bose radio with no problems. I did that 3 years ago and never looked back. I just wish I had Dr. Dons radio repair put a Ipod jack in mine
You can buy a universal Ipod adaptor that connects between your radio and antenna for less than $100 if you intall it yourself.

Get notified of new replies

To c4 am/fm cassette to am/fm cassette, CD player

Quick Reply: c4 am/fm cassette to am/fm cassette, CD player