Console Carpet Installation Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Console Carpet Installation Tips

Guys,

Replacing the carpet in my 91 Coupe. Got the old console carpet pieces off - they came off easily with careful application of a heat gun. However, the factory caulk-like glue stayed behind on the console trim piece.

Heres my question: Best to remove all of the factory glue? To answer my own question, I think I will have to remove all the glue, seems to me the beads of the factory glue would prevent the new carpet from laying flat on the piece (which contact cements needs).

Also have a suggestion to melt some glue sticks, but same question, can I just put new glue over the old?

Lastly, does anyone know, can the old factory glue be re-activated? I mean its still sticky, if I heat it up with my heat gun, would I get a good bond with the new carpet?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Stickrz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet glue

I'm somewhat in the same boat... ah, coupe, redoing the entire carpet in my LT4.

My 2 cents: remove all the factory glue, don't believe you can "reactivate" it. It's old, dirty, probably wouldn't hold well, imo. You can easily replace it however: finally found real auto carpet adhesive, Mid America Motorworks, green stuff that never quite sets hard, sticky but not gooey if that makes any sense, and with patience and persistence you can peel it off. Seems nearly identical to the factory blobs I'm always finding.

3 cents: I'll recommend staying clear of glue sticks, as these are heat activated... and reactivated. Had an experience in the past where I did a fix-it project involving a glue stick, but on a hot day in a hot car, it came undone. Not a fun clean up.

fwiw: am installing heat/sound foil barrier and new foil backed carpet pad as I go, using spray adhesive here and there, hi-temp aluminum tape on seams. But the new carpet needs more grip or sticking power, and the new green stuff is working out well.

Hope this helps
Old 05-29-2011, 11:48 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on my 1990 I removed all the old glue then melted a bunch hot glue gun sticks in a pan then spread in small areas at a time with a putty knife and layed the carpet. I also did this on the door sills, dash, door panels and it will not release.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

ok thanks for the suggestions.

Any tips on removing the factory glue without making a mess? Or is this going to messy no matter what?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gear Jammer
ok thanks for the suggestions.

Any tips on removing the factory glue without making a mess? Or is this going to messy no matter what?
I used go-gone ... just remove it so it is flat is all.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:46 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffp1167
I used go-gone ... just remove it so it is flat is all.
use your heat gun and soften the factory glue , leave it on, add more if you wish, but you dont have to remove it, it still works.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:59 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

On mine (maybe yours too), the mounting holes are under the carpet. So, I mounted the trim piece w/o the carpet attached. Then, I used a hotglue gun to bead the perimeter. That allowed me to get good adhesion around the edges.

I finished by using newspaper to "mask off" the cockpit. I shot 3M High Strength contact cement on both sides. (Kinda of a trick with the edges attached, but you can figure out where to add more hotglue vs where to spray.

After holding the carpet out for a few minutes, I smoothed it down to adhere. A box knife along the botton helped to create a perfect transition into the pan carpet.

I left part of the old glue in place. The 3M stuff is MUCH thinner. I figured if the old stuff didn't show before, it won't show now. Can't say is does either.

Oh yeah...I put a spot of hotglue under the edges of the firewall end and bottom to make sure feet didn't accidentally pull up the carpet.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Ive been searching the forum all night, didnt I read somewhere that the factory glue is pressure activated? In other words, if I were to put my new carpet on the old glue and then clamp it or place heavy objects (books) on the piece, the glue will re-attach?

Its still sticky. Maybe this is wishful thinking........I really dont want to remove the old stuff if I dont have to, but I cant see how new glue (esp contact cement type glue ) would work very well with the thick beads still in place. Maybe I'll get the carpet cement from Mid-America.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:50 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gear Jammer
Ive been searching the forum all night, didnt I read somewhere that the factory glue is pressure activated? In other words, if I were to put my new carpet on the old glue and then clamp it or place heavy objects (books) on the piece, the glue will re-attach?

Its still sticky. Maybe this is wishful thinking........I really dont want to remove the old stuff if I dont have to, but I cant see how new glue (esp contact cement type glue ) would work very well with the thick beads still in place. Maybe I'll get the carpet cement from Mid-America.
I heated mine up then used one of those gasket scrapers with razor blades to remove the old glue. then the remains the goo-gone took car of.

then like the other member said use a hot glue gun and bond the seam edges then just work your way with the rest of the carpet and it will never release.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Default Running Update

Heres an update:
I was able to get all of the original GM glue (i.e. gorillia snot) off with various adhesive removers and heat gun (the 95 deg heat probably helped the most). Probably took it too far, but I went ahead and completely removed all of it. I then lightly sanded the console pieces for prep for installation.

For the console carpet installation, I wound up using glue from Mid America Motorworks. Basically a contact cement, and its green. supposed to hold up well in the heat. We'll see. The spray on stuff has mixed reviews from what I can tell. The MAM glue has a consistency similar to contact cement, as in it does have some body to it, but nothing like the orig GM glue.

Have to say, Im not very good with re-upholstery. No glaring goofs, but certainly not as good as factory. Maybe the carpet will "set in" after awhile.

Pics to follow

Get notified of new replies

To Console Carpet Installation Tips

Quick Reply: Console Carpet Installation Tips