Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 General Discussion
General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
TDiLisio
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Good reason to replace rear control arm bushings

These didn't "look" bad when they were mounted on the car, but this is what I found when I went to replace them. Glad I did. The metal wasn't damaged. From a 1984.
Attached Images

TDiLisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
HlhnEast
CF Senior Member

What made you decide to change the bushings? Any symtoms or you just decide it was probly time to do it?
HlhnEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
AGENT 86
CF Senior Member

Just another reason for me to install my bushing set that has been on the shelf for 6 years.
AGENT 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
C4orce2
CF Senior Member

I have a '92 with an automatic. Each time I put it in gear or put a little pressure on the rear end there is a click from the left rear. Once I'm rolling down the road there is no noise at all, just one click when pressure is first applied to the rear end. I've had all the u-joints checked out and everything looks fine. One mechanic thinks I need to replace the bushings in the rear. Did you have those symtoms on your car?
C4orce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
floridamale
CF Senior Member

I'm replacing the rear bushing on my 87 as I type this, reason is to have the rear end lined up. Can't really do the job with bad bushings strut bushings were shot. Also changed out the shocks looking forward to seeing the difference. You should check your swaybar end link bushings also they go bad before the dogbone & strut bars do.
floridamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
slickfx3
CF Senior Member

big difference, use alot of marine grease, really painful job though....but worth it, mostly labor, the bushings don't cost much....mark the camber position first with white out....
slickfx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
TDiLisio
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlhnEast View Post
What made you decide to change the bushings? Any symtoms or you just decide it was probly time to do it?

Trying to bring the car back to life... It's up on Jack stands so I figured I might as well. I did the sway bar bushings (there's a set of 22 MM for sale on here someplace for B/O, I read the dial gauge wrong) ... from the responses it looks like I might as well do the differential support bar (bat wing?), while I'm at it. Not even looking forward to doing the front.

OhBTW... those end link sway bar bushings were a PITA.... like Slickfx3 said... lots of grease. I found that boiling them in water for a few minutes softened them up just enough to make it "slightly easier" to press into the hole.

Last edited by TDiLisio; 06-21-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Update Swaybar.
TDiLisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
BuzzinHornets
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4orce2 View Post
I have a '92 with an automatic. Each time I put it in gear or put a little pressure on the rear end there is a click from the left rear. Once I'm rolling down the road there is no noise at all, just one click when pressure is first applied to the rear end. I've had all the u-joints checked out and everything looks fine. One mechanic thinks I need to replace the bushings in the rear. Did you have those symtoms on your car?
I have a similar symptom in my 95, along with a vibration between 45 and 75 mph. Can you please keep up updated as to what you find? It would be a great help!
BuzzinHornets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
92ragtop
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I've got the same "click" on my 92 when I do that. Did poly bushings last year, and confirmed that U-joints and wheel bearings are good, but click is still there. From what I've read on the forum in the past, it could be the teflon washer in the rear bearing assembly.
92ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
C4orce2
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzinHornets View Post
I have a similar symptom in my 95, along with a vibration between 45 and 75 mph. Can you please keep up updated as to what you find? It would be a great help!
I will let you know what I eventually find out. So far 4 shops, including two corvette shops, have looked at it and can't figure it out. I'll show them 92ragtop's idea and see if that is it. Right now it does not seem to be getting worse and everyone has told me that whatever it is it does not seem to be a safety issue. I probably will not spend much money trying to figure it out unless it gets worse. I have no vibrations or noise at all, just the click, but I hate having something wrong with the car after I have spent so much money on the new engine.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
mtwoolford
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I will let you know what I eventually find out. So far 4 shops, including two corvette shops, have looked at it and can't figure it out. I'll show them 92ragtop's idea and see if that is it. Right now it does not seem to be getting worse and everyone has told me that whatever it is it does not seem to be a safety issue. I probably will not spend much money trying to figure it out unless it gets worse. I have no vibrations or noise at all, just the click, but I hate having something wrong with the car after I have spent so much money on the new engine.
its probably not any one big thing; on our aging cars, a lot of little things add up, Just the fact that our cars have IRS is that many more things to wear and sources of noise. But don't be discouraged, suspension work (at least on the rear of these cars) is easy. and in corvette terms, relatively inexpensive. It really brings these cars back to life , performance wise. Good luck; there are dozens of threads dealing with suspension and drive shaft issues.
mtwoolford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #12
enventr
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ragtop View Post
I've got the same "click" on my 92 when I do that. Did poly bushings last year, and confirmed that U-joints and wheel bearings are good, but click is still there. From what I've read on the forum in the past, it could be the teflon washer in the rear bearing assembly.
enventr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
mtwoolford
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enventr View Post
could someone expand on where exactly are these teflon washers, and their function ? thanks
mtwoolford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #14
enventr
CF Senior Member

use the "search" key and type in "teflon rear axle washers" .that should explain in detail
enventr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
OldCorvetteFan
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwoolford View Post
could someone expand on where exactly are these teflon washers, and their function ? thanks
The teflon washers fit between the spindle nut and the hub, as shown.

Installed ...

Click the image to open in full size.

A better look ...

Click the image to open in full size.

Steven

NCM Master Ambassador (2009)

Last edited by OldCorvetteFan; 06-23-2011 at 11:33 PM.
OldCorvetteFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #16
Frizlefrak
CF Senior Member

From my old 84....

[img]Click the image to open in full size.[/img]
Frizlefrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #17
C4orce2
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enventr View Post
use the "search" key and type in "teflon rear axle washers" .that should explain in detail
Great help! I did the search and found a thread entitled "Its the washers" which was started back in 2007. That explained everything about this problem. I took the info to Loud Pedal Motorsports in Tempe, AZ, and they have ordered the parts and we are scheduling the fix (I have a hard time replacing light bulbs). Thanks for your help.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
floridamale
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan View Post
The fit between the spindle nut and the hub, as shown.

Installed ...

A better look ...

Steven
Steven,
That is not the location of the teflon washers
They fit on the spline inside between the bearing & yoke
They have nothing to do with the washer you show
Here you can see where they go

Last edited by floridamale; 06-24-2011 at 02:38 PM.
floridamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #19
OldCorvetteFan
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridamale View Post
Steven,
That is not the location of the teflon washers
They fit on the spline inside between the bearing & yoke
They have nothing to do with the washer you show
Here you can see where they go

You're absolutely right. I was thinking 'teflon washer' then saw the axle nut washer when I was reviewing my photo album.

My mistake!

Steven

NCM Master Ambassador (2009)
OldCorvetteFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Eakster
CF Senior Member

I have a '96 and the left rear bushing is rotten. Had suspected this for a while, I do not enjoy the squishy hard to predict feel of the rear end at the limit.. Will replace all with poly as soon as I drum up the courage to take my car apart
Eakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 General Discussion
Reload this Page Good reason to replace rear control arm bushings

Tags
arm, arms, bad, bushing, bushings, c4, change, changing, chevrolet, control, corvette, cost, end, labour, ls400, rear, replace, upper