C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

4+3 Trans capacity? 4 speed side

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Vetteatlast
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4+3 Trans capacity? 4 speed side

I trying to figure out how much gear lube I will need for the 4 speed side of the DN 4+3 trans thanx
Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Vetteatlast
Instructor

No one knows???
Old 06-24-2011, 07:08 AM
gkrynick22
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteatlast
No one knows???
No one did when I asked. I just bought a larger size container, I figure I would use any extra down the road. If I remember correctly I just kept filling until it started coming out of the fill hole. I do remember however looking around the engine compartment for about an idiot for about an hour trying to figure out how to fill the damn thing !
Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Simply fill the trans until the gear oil starts to dribble out of the fill hole.

Before you remove the bottom plug to drain the 4-speed part, make sure you can remove the fill hole plug! Sometimes, the fill hole plug is very difficult to remove and if you drain the old fluid first and can't get the fill plug out.....

For oil, use a good grade of 80W-90 GL5 gear oil. Should be just about 2 quarts.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The Dour Nash Super T-10 tranny holds 2 pints of 75-90w gear oil. As mentioned above fill it up until it overflows the top filler hole.
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Vetteatlast
Instructor

Thanks to all that replied, has anyone(besides me) have trouble getting the plugs to loosen up[on the transmision , both the OD fill plug and the top fill plug on the 4 speed side are frozen shut , some who owned it before me, rounded them off and I probably made it worse by trying to loosen them with a pipe wrench
Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks to all that replied, has anyone(besides me) have trouble getting the plugs to loosen up[on the transmision , both the OD fill plug and the top fill plug on the 4 speed side are frozen shut , some who owned it before me, rounded them off and I probably made it worse by trying to loosen them with a pipe wrench
You might need to use a torch to heat them up to remove them.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:07 AM
VETTEDETTA
Instructor

My OD filler is seized, but the plug is in good nick. Will probably need the heat treatment.

I'm planning on getting the clutch done soon.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:40 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When you do the clutch, it will be easier to work on freeing up the plugs once the trans is out of the car.

When you get the plugs out, clean the threads on both the plugs and the trans case and use some anti-seize lubricant on the plugs. The plugs are a standard pipe thread so you should be able to get replacement plugs at a hardware store if necessary.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 AM
VETTEDETTA
Instructor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
When you do the clutch, it will be easier to work on freeing up the plugs once the trans is out of the car.

When you get the plugs out, clean the threads on both the plugs and the trans case and use some anti-seize lubricant on the plugs. The plugs are a standard pipe thread so you should be able to get replacement plugs at a hardware store if necessary.
Thanks man

Get notified of new replies

To 4+3 Trans capacity? 4 speed side

Quick Reply: 4+3 Trans capacity? 4 speed side