C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My 1984 Restoration Project, her name is Christie

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM
RickIsYoDaddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1984 Restoration Project, her name is Christie

hey everyone.. I picked up this 1984 vette a few weeks ago, and my friend and I went in and started tearing it apart. It was neglected by its former owners but I got the car for a steal. I traded a 98 Explorer Sport as an even trade for it, plus the guy threw in about $3k worth of new and spare parts. As for electronics, the Horn (maybe a fuse?) and the Cruise Control dont work, and the driver window motor is dying, but everything else still works good. A/C is cold, power mirrors work, starts up without a problem, etc... Guy just had the entire digital dash redone, all new LEDs, carbon fiber dash kit, etc.. looks really nice. Has 136k miles on it

If you are parting out or know someone parting out an 84, Let me know Also, Im new to Vettes. Ive owned 4 Mustangs (92 Saleen, 87 with a Cobra R 331 motor, an 87 with a 347 Stroker, and my 2011 5.0) A show/track Honda S2000, and now this vette. Any good sponsors, sites, or places to find parts for my vette will be greatly appreictaed.

Needs:
Trans is slipping (New one as part of the deal with 0 miles and a shift kit plus a new Torque Converter, installing over the next two weeks or so)
Needs Weather Strip (Will order this month from Wilcox)
Needs Paint ($750 sanded and a nicely painted from a friend, sale color as it is now)
New Exhaust (New headers as part of the deal, will order an full header back from Corvettecentral in the next few months)
New Tires and Alignment
Few interior pieces replaced (priced out to ~$200)
Driver Window Motor

What We Did Already
Tune up with NGK Platinum Spark Plugs, MSD Wires, Cap, and Rotor
New larger Throttle Bodies (Part of the deal along with cleaning out the entire intake system + new gaskets)
Spectre Chrome Valve Covers and new gaskets (Cleaned up the top of the heads a bit too, guy before thought it would be smart to use cork gaskets plus RTV, and he couldnt figure out why it was leaking oil everywhere lol)
New Brake System (New Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, Pads, and resurfaced rotors)
New Rack and Pinion (Got a new one as part of the deal)
Replaced almost all vacuum hoses
Radiator Flush (It was all rusty looking water)
Fluid Changes (Duh)

What I want to do
New wheels maybe
Change out Stereo, better speakers and rip out the crappy dual deck prior owner put in, might do a flip out navi dvd player
New Carpet (Will order around X-mas time, current one is still fine but could be replaced)

Pics!!

Tearing it apart

My Vette (Christie) and My Mustang (Maya) in my Drive Way Cant beat having a Corvette and a 2011 5.0
Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks for sharing the pics! You've got your work cut out for you, but it sounds like you have a handle on the situation. As you said, paint is taken care of, for a very, very moderate price and you've got the interior dialed in. Your Corvette is probably the lowest horsepower car that you owned right now. Curious as what your impressions are on driving this?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Old 07-13-2011, 11:55 AM
RickIsYoDaddy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F22
Thanks for sharing the pics! You've got your work cut out for you, but it sounds like you have a handle on the situation. As you said, paint is taken care of, for a very, very moderate price and you've got the interior dialed in. Your Corvette is probably the lowest horsepower car that you owned right now. Curious as what your impressions are on driving this?
Hands down, it is the lowest HP out of all the cars Ive owned, however, It does have some power and plenty of torque. Even though the trans is slipping, when it did grab, it took off pretty quickly. We are in the process of putting stuff back together now, and by this weekend I will go ahead and take it out for a proper drive.

My Stang is already an 11 Sec drag/track car, so i dont need another one. The vette will become my DD. I was orginally looking on craigslist for a civic or something to trade my old 98 Explorer for, and I ran across the ad for the vette. Guy wanted to get rid of it for $3k or trade for an SUV or family car. I offered him the trade, and he accepted it. Id GLADLY give up a few MPGs and drive vette instead of a civic. The vette will look amazing when its done, run amazing, and be worth alot more than a crappy 4 banger rice rocket. If anything, Ill possibly trade up later on for a nice C3 or a C6. For some reason, I just dont like looks of the C5.

Last edited by RickIsYoDaddy; 07-13-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Hephaestus
Instructor

Originally Posted by RickIsYoDaddy
I was orginally looking on craigslist for a civic [ . . . ]. Id GLADLY give up a few MPGs and drive vette instead of a civic. The vette will look amazing when its done, run amazing, and be worth alot more than a crappy 4 banger rice rocket.
Funny you say this as I was looking to do the same (get a Honda Civic) before I found my vette. I'm definately happier with a vette!

Grats on your find! Knowing your past experience and your current cars, I've a feeling this vette is going to be nice when you're done with it.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:59 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like your attitude. You are saving that car and will be glad you did. Welcome.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by RickIsYoDaddy
Hands down, it is the lowest HP out of all the cars Ive owned, however, It does have some power and plenty of torque. Even though the trans is slipping, when it did grab, it took off pretty quickly. We are in the process of putting stuff back together now, and by this weekend I will go ahead and take it out for a proper drive.

My Stang is already an 11 Sec drag/track car, so i dont need another one. The vette will become my DD. I was orginally looking on craigslist for a civic or something to trade my old 98 Explorer for, and I ran across the ad for the vette. Guy wanted to get rid of it for $3k or trade for an SUV or family car. I offered him the trade, and he accepted it. Id GLADLY give up a few MPGs and drive vette instead of a civic. The vette will look amazing when its done, run amazing, and be worth alot more than a crappy 4 banger rice rocket. If anything, Ill possibly trade up later on for a nice C3 or a C6. For some reason, I just dont like looks of the C5.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:44 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Mow your lawn

post up pics of your paint job when its done.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Mow your lawn

post up pics of your paint job when its done.
What's grass?? OH...that stuff that grows in places that get rain.

Glad to see another 84 get saved. I have a soft spot for them. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:31 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

OH...that stuff that grows in places that get rain.
We call em weeds I mow them weekly.
hey its green and seed money is now car money.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:33 PM
0Mike@Vossen
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice project, keep us updated with pictures!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

It's nice to see the old girl found a good home..

Old 07-13-2011, 07:26 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Nice Project

FYI...

Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Wow, you got stones to fix that up. A lot of work and $$$. Honestly, I would take the 5.0 Mustang , those new ones are bad azz, even stock. I did drive one all I can say is wow. I want one, next to my Corvette of course. Good Luck, it is nice to you appreciate that 84 but man that car is hammered.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Nice Project

FYI...

Classic. I bet the guys that make the Renegade have nightmares about "The Alien".
Old 07-14-2011, 12:04 AM
RickIsYoDaddy
Intermediate

lol... yes I just cut my grass, so its all good now. Actually, Ive only spent about $200 in parts so far, and total cost Im looking at is about $2-3k. Im doing all the labor myself except the paint. I also found out that the Explorer I traded started knocking about a week later after we traded. KBB for the Explorer was like $2k. Just the parts I got was worth more than 2k, so I made out good in the deal.

Yeah my 5.0 is a beast! Im putting down 430rwhp with all the performance mods. I run mid-high 11's with drag radials all day long. About 12 flat on stock Pirelli Pzero tires. I dont have any issues with people trying to race me, noone is brave enough lol.

great little image. I was looking up some of those crossram intake manifolds. Couldnt find any useful info on them
Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Nice Project

FYI...

Great work you nailed everything

To the OP good luck with it, looks like a nice project.

Get notified of new replies

To My 1984 Restoration Project, her name is Christie

Old 07-14-2011, 02:13 PM
RickIsYoDaddy
Intermediate

So your saying that Renegae manifold is junk huh? lol... any manifolds you guys would recommend?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

From the pics Ive seen Id use it in a hot second;port it get a good head/cam/header combo and go play.
Theres lots of hate on CF stuff dont listen to it.
That piece is worlds better than stock Id bet.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tb...-manifold.html

Last edited by cv67; 07-14-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Black84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem with the renegade is less with the manifold than with the marketing... It would appear that the developers of the manifold took orders a lot faster than they could provide product.

Quick Reply: My 1984 Restoration Project, her name is Christie