C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1987 exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1987 exhaust?

Hi, I am new here....just purchased a 1987 Corvette convertible....the driver side exhaust has problems muffler is missing.

I want/wish to have this fixed, of course, but I would like the "throaty, gurgling sound of the 5.7L engine) and do not wish to "up-grade"...

I want close to original except for maybe Flowmaster or cheaper knock-off mufflers.

What did the original exhaust pipes look like? Were they doubles, round or were they rectangular. Am talking about what shows under the rear bumper.

Kistler
Tucson

PS....aluminium is not necessary...it never rains here.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:23 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the muffler is missing, I am guessing the rear y-pipe section has rotted out and that's the reason the muffler is MIA. If that's the case, you will need a new rear y-pipe along with a set of mufflers.

Original muffler tips for your car were round and exited straight out, the only C4's with downturned muffler tips were the 84's. Check Corvette Central's exhuast section on their website for diagrams, etc.

If you want a deep, throaty sound and don't care about performance, look into a set of muffler eliminators. A lot of us on the forum have them and I absolutely love how they sound on my 85! They sound like a 60's Vette with side pipes.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Hello, Thank you for replying.....nice idea....you seem to understand what I wish.

Kistler
Old 07-18-2011, 03:51 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kistler
Hi, I am new here....just purchased a 1987 Corvette convertible....the driver side exhaust has problems muffler is missing. What did the original exhaust pipes look like? Were they doubles, round or were they rectangular. Am talking about what shows under the rear bumper.

Kistler
Tucson
Welcome to the Corvette Forum.

Here are a couple of photos of OEM mufflers for your Vette.
Attached Images    
Old 07-18-2011, 04:35 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kistler
Hello, Thank you for replying.....nice idea....you seem to understand what I wish.

Kistler
No worries, glad to be of service. If you want to hear what muffler eliminators sound like, check out this YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQf97ykfRV0
Old 07-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Thank you! Nice sound and nice looking vette. I have gotten a price of $440 from a local shop for the double pipes/with end chrome IF the exhaust system is okay from the cat. converter back.....who knows. A shop I trust is going to inspect the whole car tomorrow for me.

My wife has already name this "the money pit"....what can I say This would include two Flowmaster mufflers.....I could save $30 on the muffers by going generic.

Kistler
Old 07-18-2011, 04:49 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

We nicknamed my C4 the Flaming Pit, for obvious reasons. But its always a labor of love and its something I enjoy.

I paid about $500 in parts only to do my exhaust. It included a new catalytic converter because the original one was done and the car wouldn't pass emissions in Suffolk County, NY, a new rear y-pipe from Walker with welded in balance tube and a set of baffled muffler eliminators with ZR1 tips from Allen's Exhuast. Next to replacing the injectors with Bosch III's, this has been the best modification I have made and everyone smiles when I cruise on by. Its a sound everyone seems to love.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:49 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

This system can be installed in your garage. Just get it up well in the air on good sturdy jack stands, soak the bolts with PB Blaster over night and drop the old and bolt in the new.
I have had similar systems on two different L98s and really liked the sound. This system eliminates the pre cats that are in the front Y pipe and fits very well.
I had muffler eliminators on an 87 and foud that I had to go very light on the "go pedal" in residential areas and near the cops.
Available from Corvette Central who sometimes have free shipping specials.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050F
Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Just realized you have a vert (convertible). You will have to unbolt and drop the X brace under the car in order to access the exhaust.
Their price is $629.

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 exhaust?

Quick Reply: 1987 exhaust?