C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

93 LT1 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 AM
funbooker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 LT1 oil leak

I posted another message titled Harmonic Balancer Oil Leak. That's what I thought I had before I took it apart.

someone who was kind enough to reply suggested it was the seal on the water pump shaft. I really couldn't see any leaking around that which is a good thing because it sounds like getting a new one on without ruining it is a bitch.

There's a ridge on the coupler that connects the pump to the shaft. I can't remember whether the ridge goes toward the engine or the pump. Also, it looks like it is a place for an O ring but there really isn't anything to seal in or out.

It looks like the rubber seal around the spline for the opti has a chunk out of it. Unlike the pump seal, this one seems like it's all rubber instead of metal on the outside and rubber inside.

It also looks like it doesn't snug up around the spline because the opti makes up the space between the shaft and the seal.

Is there anything tricky about replacing this seal? I'm ready to yank it and knock a new one in but it's always worth asking those who know before doing that.

Quick Reply: 93 LT1 oil leak