C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1984 Cooling Fan Relay-Switch trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Cor-Vetter
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Cooling Fan Relay-Switch trouble

Im lost for what to check next on my 84, fan quit working, so I tore relay apart and made contact manual, fan comes on. I tried a new relay, no fan at even 250f, so I wired in a toggle, went to mech, we tried to ground out the temp switch, no fan, we tried to run a wire from switch to blue-white wire on relay, ran car to temp. No fan, tried unplugging the Ac switch, no fan. right now im wired with a toggle from the blue-white at relay to battery ground.Im lost the next option is a ground wire from fan to temp switch and how wire to battery, when switch reaches temp it grounds and the fan should work bypassing the relay all together.
Anything im missing here? I dont mind the manual switch though it seems a little stock carish for a vette, when things should work. I just got done total rebuild of the engine this is really driving my nuts. Also fuel guage, I ran out of fuel at 1/4 tank twice. Anyone have any problems with the guage?
Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 AM
NMVetteman
Intermediate

Hey Cor-vetter.....I have a similar problem with my fuel guage.....only it's not quite that bad at running out at 1/4 tank. When mine still shows like 2 lines, you're empty....Let it happen to me once since owning my '84. Haven't worried about troubleshooting it. As far as the other problem, your fan not operating, happened to me, too. Garage diagnosed as a bad cooling fan relay and they replaced a cooling fan thermal switch. Fan turns on at 228.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cor-Vetter
Also fuel guage, I ran out of fuel at 1/4 tank twice. Anyone have any problems with the guage?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...h-article.html
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

we tried to run a wire from switch to blue-white wire on relay, ran car to temp. No fan,Anything im missing here?
Have you tested the switch to see if it actually works?

next option is a ground wire from fan to temp switch when switch reaches temp it grounds and the fan should work bypassing the relay all together.
Which will most likely burn up the wiring due to the heavy current load fan draws ( which is why the relay is there in the 1st place)

tried unplugging the Ac switch, no fan.
Obviously.
Switch goes to ground when A/c operating same as the fan temp switch does

Last edited by vetteoz; 08-03-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Cor-Vetter
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Have you tested the switch to see if it actually works?

Which will most likely burn up the wiring due to the heavy current load fan draws ( which is why the relay is there in the 1st place)

Obviously.
Switch goes to ground when A/c operating same as the fan temp switch does

Thanks, I have tested everything, new relay it works, new thermo switch it works, ran wire from thermo switch direct to blue-white wire on relay, thermo-switch grounds when open at temp, ground should ground relay direct, didnt work. Right now I have a toggle from blue/white at relay and grouned on battery, I can turn it on manual and it wont run with ignition off. I have worked on this with a tech for approx 5 hours and we cannot figure the problem out. Fan works, relay works,thermo switch works,not sure on AC switch though. Im basically at the point of wiring it heavy from fan direct to switch and to hot side of battery. Fused of course with 30amp. I understand relay uses a winding to draw the current to lower the amperage pull for wiring, though im baffled here. And I do think the over 220 deg is abit on the hot side, my car runs great between 180-200...My grand am is about 190 so cannot understand the reason for the 228 temp.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:29 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My grand am is about 190 so cannot understand the reason for the 228 temp.
228* is the factory "on" for the primary fan on LT1s. 235* for the auxiliary fan. I agree, that's too hot for an 84.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

. cannot understand the reason for the 228 temp.
Good for the environment
Higher engine operating temp = less emissions
Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 AM
maginty
1st Gear

ok..my 1984 has the same heating problem..fan will not come on. replaced thermostat,relay and sensor. still will not come on. exactly what will it take to get it to work with out jerry rigging it...does the ac preasure switch have any thing to do with it?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 AM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Are you sure you have the right relay?? By the drawing from vetteoz there is no blue white wire on the relay ( drawing is 8A-149 from the electrical manual).. If you pull the connector off the temp. switch and ground it with the car in run the relay should operate and fan should work.. If the relay doesn't operate check the 3 amp fan fuse. If the relay operates but the fan doesn't check the fusible link. Both the temp switch and the ac pressure switch provide a ground to operate the relay..

Last edited by ccrazor; 09-19-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Cooling Fan Relay-Switch trouble

Quick Reply: 1984 Cooling Fan Relay-Switch trouble