C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Acrylic Roof Repair or Replace

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:05 AM
rickso84
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acrylic Roof Repair or Replace

The acrylic (tinted) roof for my '91 got broken. Friend raised the stowed roof too high and broke a 1" x 2" piece off where it slides into the holder. I have the piece and could glue it back in with acrylic cement but likely wouldn't handle the stress of being put in the storage rack where the force would be right on the broken off piece. Anyone have experience with this?

Re-cores are available. My roof's got a lot of crazing (fine, fine internal cracks) anyway. Are the re-cores any good? I've seen links to http://www.astrotops.com/ and http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/, both are about the same price. Any experience with either?

Finally, what color is the original acrylic roof? It's not quite gray but not quite blue either.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:08 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

you can get the lense for bout $200
Old 08-04-2011, 02:08 AM
wcvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
you can get the lense for bout $200
Could you post or pm the info on those?
Thanks, Bill
Old 08-04-2011, 07:12 AM
rickso84
Instructor

Yes, where can I get just the "lens" for the acrylic roof? How is it attached to the frame and is it a task that a mere mortal can master?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

call melrose, they dont list it on their site but will sell it if you call them.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 AM
vetteman42
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rickso84
The acrylic (tinted) roof for my '91 got broken. Friend raised the stowed roof too high and broke a 1" x 2" piece off where it slides into the holder. I have the piece and could glue it back in with acrylic cement but likely wouldn't handle the stress of being put in the storage rack where the force would be right on the broken off piece. Anyone have experience with this?

Re-cores are available. My roof's got a lot of crazing (fine, fine internal cracks) anyway. Are the re-cores any good? I've seen links to http://www.astrotops.com/ and http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/, both are about the same price. Any experience with either?

Finally, what color is the original acrylic roof? It's not quite gray but not quite blue either.
The color is either Bronze or Blue....sounds like your color is "Blue"...I can not put my hands on the my BLACK BOOK.....but I don't think the roof color was "matched" to your body color.......but rather optional.

SAVE THE WAVE
Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 AM
wheelhorse
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got both fiberglass and blue tint from Melrose. No regrets.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 AM
rickso84
Instructor

Just called Melrose and they DO NOT sell the acrlyic "lens" top separately. They won't sell it because they won't be responsible for its installation since it's a complex process of primers and bonding agents. Their "exchange" roof (new acrylic bonded to a reconditioned frame) is $645.

Going to try solvent-welding the broken pieces with MDC (Methylene Di-Chloride) which is the proper "glue" for acrylic. I don't have any cracks in the roof, just two broken pieces that fit back together cleanly. The solvent is thin and seeps into the gap, melting and welding the pieces together. The fellow I talked with at a local plastics house said the bond is equal to or greater than the strength of the original acrylic. Supposed to be almose invisible. We'll see (or hopefully not!).
Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

well they used to sell them, wonder why they changed, probably havin trouble getting that 'big' dollar
Old 08-04-2011, 08:23 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI Astro tops have a very bad rep here. Many members posted about inferior products and terrible customer service.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:29 PM
c4sailor
Pro

The fellow I talked with at a local plastics house said the bond is equal to or greater than the strength of the original acrylic. Supposed to be almost invisible. We'll see (or hopefully not!).
The MDC weld will be tough as nails.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 AM
darrylg
Racer

I did exactly the same thing to my acrylic roof. The acrylic bonding fluid, I don't recollect what it's called, creates a chemical weld and it's really strong, much more than an adhesive. I looked up a couple of local shops that do acrylic work and they gave me a syringe of the chemical for only a couple bucks. Once fixed, it was still visible, looking like a crack. I concealed it by covering the back edge with a 2" wide strip of carbon fiber, purchased from an automotive graphics shop. It looks great, and I actually get compliments on the look of the carbon fiber from people who don't know it's actually there to cover the crack.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 PM
rickso84
Instructor

The repair came out well using MDC (Methylene Di-Chloride). It's the same stuff, in a bottle with a long, needle application tube. I was surprised when I applied it because it beaded and flowed all over the place, unlike the acrylic samples I practiced on. Luckily the roof has some kind of laminate coating that's totally resistant to the acrylic solvent, but the broken edges bond just fine.

I like the carbon fiber strip idea. I assume it's a self-adhesive print that looks like the carbon?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:39 AM
darrylg
Racer

The repair came out well using MDC (Methylene Di-Chloride). It's the same stuff, in a bottle with a long, needle application tube. I was surprised when I applied it because it beaded and flowed all over the place, unlike the acrylic samples I practiced on. Luckily the roof has some kind of laminate coating that's totally resistant to the acrylic solvent, but the broken edges bond just fine.

I like the carbon fiber strip idea. I assume it's a self-adhesive print that looks like the carbon?
Yep, the repair is really strong. I got some carbon sheet at a shop that specializes in auto graphics and cut it to size and wrapped it about 1/2" around the underside. I'm not sure whether the material's really carbon or not - it sure looks like it. Like I said, I actually get compliments on it from people who don't know it's covering a repair, which is on the passenger-side corner.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 PM
wcvette
Racer

Anyone used MDC to repair a crack from the windshield back about half-way? The crack is passenger side and comes from front frame back about a foot. It would only be a backup to the painted one.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 PM
motor city dave
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Thanks rickso84 and darrylg.I have the same problem. I will use the carbon sheet also,nice touch.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:12 PM
rickso84
Instructor

MDC should work on a crack it the crack extends to the surface of the acrylic (i.e. you can feel it with your fingernail). An interesting thing with the arcylic, at least the stuff on my car. It appears to be laminated between two coatings of MDC-resistant material. I didn't know this and was very cautious to not get any solvent on the area around the crack. That caution caused me to do not as good a job aligning the brkoen pieces. The top and bottom surfaces of the acrylic weren't affected by the MDC at all, but the broken edges bonded very well. Test an area first though. Aftermarket roofs may be different.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:47 PM
LT4 F45
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Did he still your friend???
Old 04-22-2014, 01:10 PM
occupa
Instructor

Default No Friends so....

My friend did not raise it too much; I did

Small chip, about quarter size, popped out