C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1986 Driver's Side Headlight Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:13 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 1986 Driver's Side Headlight Motor

My Driver's side headlight rotates fine but; when you turn the headlights off. The headlight rotates closed but the motor still stays engaged. If I turn the headlights back on the headlight rotates and stops the way it should. I had to unclip the harness to stop the motor from spinning.

Does anyone have any ideas.......Is it time for a new headlight motor??

thanks for any info....
Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

a lot depends on weather your lights have beem upgraded to the later years, and stays engaged doesnt say much. does it keep rotating so you hear a 'clicking' sound? etc...etc...
Old 08-06-2011, 07:36 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

The headlights are not upgraded. When the light closes it stays engaged. I don't hear a clicking noise. I see the light jumping and alot of noise until I pull the power.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Theres a switch inside the motor that is positional, a version of a mercury switch, in other words, when it senses the light is closed or open it is supposed to cut power. That may be your problem. If you can afford it , nows a good time to upgrade to the later style. You could also make them manual, and you can also replace the motor. there are also rebuild kits around , but i havent seen them. i played around with my 87's (same style) for a few months and then upgraded to the later style, no mo issues.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Is it alot of work to change to the later years??? How much did you spend??

thanks again......matt
Old 08-07-2011, 01:29 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

its not a lot of work but you need the complete assemblies, including the horseshoes, minimum of $100 per side and then a module to replace the relays on the earlier style, wrecking yards, are good sources, it is however one of the most satisfying upgrades I've done . it doesnt matter what later year you switch to. even if the wires are a different color they go to the same places and do the same things. I upgraded to 1992 year cause i got a killer deal on a complete hood. you are actually better off just swapping the light assemblies caus you dont have to spend a lot of time realigning the new hood.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a stripped gear to me. I'd buy replacement gears, they're cheep. While you have the motor out, take it apart and file on the contacts (2 sets) in the case to clean them up. I'm 99% sure that will fix your problem, easy to do, and doesn't cost much. jmo

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Driver's Side Headlight Motor

Quick Reply: 1986 Driver's Side Headlight Motor