Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Project "inner beauty" (lots of photos and more to come)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I got the stereo adapter from Crutchfield. Looked iffy, but it turned out to be great. It can support either 1-DIM with wallet compartment or a 2-DIM.

Tools required:
Stereo adapter
soldering iron/solder
heat-shrink
zip-ties
jigsaw (small and controllable)
ASST screws and screwdriver (you never know)

Okay, this is what I did a couple of weeks ago just so I could have some damn audio in the car.

Classy, I know

Cut out the now worthless black piece of plastic in the back. It WAS used to support the original stereo. Now, it makes the area too short to house a custom stereo.

I'm not going to tell you how I did it....
Just use the jigsaw....

This is the PROPER way to do a PERMANENT stereo harness.
Strip the wires, "hook and twist" them together, permeate in solder and finish off with HEATSHRINK! Please don't use electrical tape for this...
Then zip-tie off.

The kit w/ 1-DIM and wallet holder.
Can go top or bottom.

The kit DOES NOT supply the 4 screws that held the stock stereo in. You have to keep and reuse those.

Don't forget to put the environment control back in!
And here she is all bolted up.

She still needs to be cleaned up, but I'm working on that.

A whole bunch of interior trim is on it's way courtesy of SCOTTVETTE1989 to include a new shift console! I'm getting the center vent new from a different source.

I appreciate all your assistance SCOTTVETTE!!! Your check is in the mail!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 AM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, another weekend goes by and another good chunk of the interior is done.

Got all these parts 2nd hand from ScottVette on the cheap. The parts were in great condition. The only problem was that the B-pillars and halo trim came out of a beige car. That took a LOT of dying to make them black. There are still some areas that need touchups that I noticed once I got them in the car.

Center console before and after

The entire setup has been dyed black. The origional interior for this year was a slate grey color. I think It looks better this way.

In order to take the old halo off, you have to remove the seat belt.
This, ladies and gentlemen, is why you don't spray paint your interior.

Halo side by side.

Be careful when you take off the rubber trim piece that goes along the back. You will reuse that.
Dying the halos were a PITA, but not too difficult. Getting the clear plastic piece off the insert was a little nerve racking...
Btw, does anyone actually use the coat hanger on the passenger side?

B-pillars up to new halo.

A-pillar done. Now I don't have to worry about bleeding after I grab on to it to get out of the car.

Now to the interesting part... the front speakers.
Due to the flimsey nature of the door sills, I reinforced the back of it with a wooden bracket, then sandwiched the sill between that and the front plate. They are cut for tiny little 4x6 speakers because I'm worried about depth at this point. When I get the sills done and set them in, I'll re-measure just to make sure that I was right with my pencil and paper. Besides, it's a small space and doesn't take much to be a loud enough stereo fro me.
I beveled the top, front and back to make a better surface to carpet. I'll post pictures of that when the glue is done drying and then in the car to finish it off.

Next step... repair fiberglass...

I know a few people have been asking about this. It will take a little longer because for some reason, they don't believe in jacks and jack stands here in italy...
They should be on the way over here from my dad's.

*edit*

Btw, with everything going black (I actually have a plan for the interior now), the trip monitor and A/C control unit are still that grey color. Are these units available in black for the 91? 92 and 93 went to black, but I'm trying to figure out if one of those will fit...

Last edited by navy_vette; 09-25-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Project "inner beauty" (lots of photos and more to come)