how to replace lether mounted seat covers in 94 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:57 PM
lilspit1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how to replace lether mounted seat covers in 94 coupe

I purchased new leather mounted sport seat covers from Ecklers for my 1994 coupe.
I couldn't find installation instructions anywhere including the various corvette dealers so I thought I would share my experience.
I tried installing the seats without taking the seat back out of the vehicle. No go.
I ended up removing the seat back and stripping the old covers off of the frame.
In doing so I disconnected the vacuum tubes at the pump, removed the bolts holding the seat back in place, removed the bolt holding the seatback reclining adjuster, removed the adjuster cable then lifted the seat back out of the car.
I unzipped the back of the seat, removed the protective foam then removed the hog ties holding the seatback lock release cable and the screws from the lock release bezel.
To remove the bezel I turned it 90 degrees so that the lever lined up with the opening and it just slipped off.
When the seats arrived the leather covering was pulled around the front of the seat and was inside out. I pulled the leather back over the top of the headrest laid the seat flat, leather side down then put the frame into the grooves that were molded into the foam being careful not to damage the bladders in the seat.
I made sure that the frame fit properly into the grooves in the foam then pulled the leather around. I pulled the leather into place and pulled it as tight as I could.
I put the seatback lock release lever under the leather into the slot at the the top of the frame. This was a little difficult as the leather was very tight.Once it was in place I felt to determine where it was and cut a horizontal hole in the leather to enable the lever to come through. Once it was through I cut a vertical hole in the leather just long enough to accommodate the up and down motion of the lever.
I put the foam pad protecting the bladder back in place and zipped the leather seats up.
I stood the seats upside down with the head rest on the floor and pulled the leather as tight as I could in order to get the plastic strips to overlap and snap into place. This pulls the front and back leather together and holds it in place.
I reinstalled the seats in the vehicle installing the bolt for the seat back reclining adjuster first.
The seat bottoms slipped in and the locking tab at the front of the seat snapped into place
It took about a half hour for each seat.

Quick Reply: how to replace lether mounted seat covers in 94 coupe