C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Oil Leak on Flywheel Cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
jverble
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak on Flywheel Cover

I have a 1995 Corvette - automatic, recently upgraded to a 383 Golen 440 hp Engine.
Since the change I have had a small leak, I am pretty sure its oil not transmission fluid, but not positive.
It is coming out the hole in the flywheel cover. I cleaned the cover very well and the oil does not seem to be anywhere on the outside of the cover to drain down.
The torque converter was replaced during the engine swap - not sure the gasket was replaced.
I took the flywheel cover off well not all the way but enough to look behind it and I don't see any fluid on the torque convert itself.
It seems to leak from just a start up and running without putting into gear.
I am not seeing a noticeable drop in either the oil or transmission fluid levels. But it is just drops that I am finding.
Any ideas best way to identify this. Probably could live with it but I just hate oil on the garage floor.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Transmission fluid is a redish color. If it is oil could be a poorly installed rear main seal.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:34 AM
jverble
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, after further looking it is the rear main seal.
Not sure exactly how tight the oil pan bolts should be but I was able tighten some more with out much effort. I have tightened a little more and hopefully this will resolve it.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leak on Flywheel Cover

Quick Reply: Oil Leak on Flywheel Cover