Napa distributor caps

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Napa distributor caps

I usually buy my distributor caps from Napa( brass terminals-Echlin). I got my latest home and after transferring the coil into it's heated crematory in the top of the cap, I noticed the 4 plunger-twist screws to fasten the cap to the dist body were missing! All the cap had were 4 flat tabs with open screw holes and a 4-pak of screws to install.

I told Napa they gave me the wrong cap. They pulled it up and there it was for an 84 vette- pictured a flat tab screw mounting! Part # Echlin RR214. I had them check other manufacturers listed and they all showed the correct plunger-screw caps. I showed them my old Echlin cap which I purchased at that store and they agreed, the new one didn't look right. All their Echlin caps in stock had the flat screw tab mounting.(I had them check). I think their database is hosed, but they were insistent-that's what we show for your car! Got a refund but WTH?

Any one else have this problem lately with Napa?

Last edited by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84; 08-23-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 08-23-2011, 03:44 PM
84cfi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it back and go to auto zone.

"If you want it and need it they got it at auto zone"
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had a similar problem when I ordered a MSD cap for my 87 from Summit Racing. My distributor uses screws for the cap and not the spring-loaded clamps. The MSD website showed a listing for the early C4's but it was the same part number for all.

Accel caps show only the spring-loaded HEI caps for C4's.

I sent it back and got a Taylor cap. The Taylor website shows different part numbers for the two different caps for the early C4's.

Most AutoZone stuff is cheap bakelite and aluminum terminals and while they carry Accel stuff, there is no specific C4 listing for screw-down caps.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:42 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Yeah, Auto Zone is on my bottom-of-the-barrel list...
Never heard of Taylor. Manufacturer or retail store?

Last edited by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84; 08-23-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
I usually buy my distributor caps from Napa( brass terminals-Echlin). I got my latest home and after transferring the coil into it's heated crematory in the top of the cap, I noticed the 4 plunger-twist screws to fasten the cap to the dist body were missing! All the cap had were 4 flat tabs with open screw holes and a 4-pak of screws to install.

I told Napa they gave me the wrong cap. They pulled it up and there it was for an 84 vette- pictured a flat tab screw mounting! Part # Echlin RR214. I had them check other manufacturers listed and they all showed the correct plunger-screw caps. I showed them my old Echlin cap which I purchased at that store and they agreed, the new one didn't look right. All their Echlin caps in stock had the flat screw tab mounting.(I had them check). I think their database is hosed, but they were insistent-that's what we show for your car! Got a refund but WTH?

Any one else have this problem lately with Napa?
Yes I had a simular problem with one of their caps. I went to auto Zone and they had everything I needed. The auto zone quality was also much better.The only problem with auto zone is not everyone who works there knows cars. You have to get the right sales rep.I also found them cheaper then most other stores.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Bob M
Drifting

+1
I had to take my NAPA cap back and went to AZ for the right one. But likeps374 said, I had to get the right guy to find it for me. I HATE the aluminum caps!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:03 PM
blackbear bob
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

RR171 is the correct cap for your aplication
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Originally Posted by blackbear bob
RR171 is the correct cap for your aplication
Thanks Bob, I'll check that out with them tomorrow!

I always tear off the box end flap of all my parts I buy and keep them in a separate envelope for each
car. That gives me the brand and part # when I restock. Damned if I didn't find one in there for the cap!

Last edited by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84; 08-23-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 PM
84wannabezo6
Instructor

My 84 uses the four screws not the L shaped springy things
Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Originally Posted by 84wannabezo6
My 84 uses the four screws not the L shaped springy things
What's the manufacture date on your car? Sticker on rear end of driver's door. Mine is Sept '83. Maybe it was a mid year change?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
I always tear off the box end flap of all my parts I buy and keep them in a separate envelope for each
car. That gives me the brand and part # when I restock. Damned if I didn't find one in there for the cap!
I was gonna suggest this, I also write the number down in my Service manual. This helps even more when you get away from stock.

I also believe in Echlin and buy from NAPA but I went with Taylor (a red one) cap and rotor this last time. Great quality as always. I like their wires as well.

Good luck with it.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
I was gonna suggest this, I also write the number down in my Service manual. This helps even more when you get away from stock.

I also believe in Echlin and buy from NAPA but I went with Taylor (a red one) cap and rotor this last time. Great quality as always. I like their wires as well.

Good luck with it.
Never heard of Taylor. Is it a manufacturer or a retail store?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They are a well known ignition products manufacturer. Go to Summit and just put Taylor in the search and see how much is out there. Cool thing is they make plug wires in almost any color under the rainbow. Good for custom engine compartments
Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 AM
h.d.fire
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I had a similar problem when I ordered a MSD cap for my 87 from Summit Racing. My distributor uses screws for the cap and not the spring-loaded clamps. The MSD website showed a listing for the early C4's but it was the same part number for all.

Accel caps show only the spring-loaded HEI caps for C4's.

I sent it back and got a Taylor cap. The Taylor website shows different part numbers for the two different caps for the early C4's.

Most AutoZone stuff is cheap bakelite and aluminum terminals and while they carry Accel stuff, there is no specific C4 listing for screw-down caps.

I had the same thing happen when I bought one from Summit for my 89'.
I didn't install it right away, the return period lapsed and I got stuck taking a loss on it by selling it on craigslist. Purchased a good Echlin (copper contacts) cap at Napa.

Get notified of new replies

To Napa distributor caps

Quick Reply: Napa distributor caps