C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

use stock auto trans cooler for oil cooler in manual car

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:06 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default use stock auto trans cooler for oil cooler in manual car

I see where the auto trans fluid cooler lines would go into the radiator, but with a manual car, they are plugged. Has anyone used these as a additional oil cooler and for more capacity?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:35 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

they work fine
Old 09-24-2011, 02:00 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
they work fine

The old man says it all.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:05 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

How large are the lines?

I ran 3/4 in
Old 09-24-2011, 04:32 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Given the small size of the tube that is in the radiator (something like 1/4" to maybe 5/16") I don't think it would provide a decent cooling effect. The tube inside the one radiator tank is basically in a straight line from one point to the other.

There are small auto trans and power steering coolers that have their own cooling fins that would do better to cool the ZF fluid compared to the radiator. These can be mounted like a PS cooler so they would get airflow independent of the cooling system and probably be more efficient.

How hot will ZF manual trans fluid get? If you think about coolant temps in the 200 degree range and possibly more during track days, would that be a help or could using the auto trans line actually heat the gear oil?
Old 09-24-2011, 04:58 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

i thought he was talking bout 'engine' oil
Old 09-24-2011, 06:26 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
i thought he was talking bout 'engine' oil
Oops, you're probably right. But even engine oil can run 30 to 40 degrees hotter than coolant temp and it doesn't change the length of the tube inside the auto trans radiator. And get just one tiny leak somewhere and.....

Still, engine oil coolers can be mounted out of the way under the car and get cooling air to pass thru it. Another issue would be removing that oil when it's time to change oil. With something like 3/4" lines and a good-size aftermarket cooler, that could be an additional quart or more of oil. The small tube ID inside the radiator is not really going to help cool the oil to make the effort worthwhile.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:23 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
I see where the auto trans fluid cooler lines would go into the radiator, but with a manual car, they are plugged. Has anyone used these as a additional oil cooler and for more capacity?
Don't waste your time. Does nothing for a street car. Does nothing for a car used on road courses. The lines are too small and there's not enough surface area to make a difference.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Not quite the same thing, but when I did the Caddy 4.9 V8 swap into my Fiero, I used a large 6 pass trans cooler from Pep Boys in place of the factory oil cooler , and another for the trans. Worked very nicely, and I was able to keep the V8 running 190 degrees in heavy traffic in 110 degree ambient temps using the stock Fiero radiator.

Mount it somewhere with good air flow and it will work nicely.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:13 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
But even engine oil can run 30 to 40 degrees hotter than coolant temp
The small tube ID inside the radiator is not really going to help cool the oil to make the effort worthwhile.
Even the much debated factory KC4 oil cooler ( heater in some people's minds ) will pull 15 -20 degrees out of oil temp and bring it down closer to coolant temp

Old 09-24-2011, 11:36 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok so really not worth it. Just a thought. I know that another oil cooler will fix the problem, just don't want to move my class up. It makes no sense why that would move my class considering it seems like it is a safety net and not like its making me more hp or something. Yea yea, I can run harder longer but seems like that should be amended. If the car makes the power stock why do I have to be in same class a ferraris that have more advanced oil systems stock.

Technically I don't even think I can move to a new radiator without going up a class. I think its time to say, street prepared class here I come!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

ran it thru the radiator, two row auto, years ago, with a pusher fan and the main engine driven, it worked fine. its a cheap enough fix that you can try it and if it doesnt work like you want , you've already got the lines running from the engine for an aftermarket. you can also use your a/c condensor for the same purpose, if you're not needing the a/c of course, that works also. this isnt something I think might work, I've actually done it. hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To use stock auto trans cooler for oil cooler in manual car

Quick Reply: use stock auto trans cooler for oil cooler in manual car