C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Trailering my 87 - front tie-down questions

Old 09-24-2011, 12:08 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Trailering my 87 - front tie-down questions

I'm considering buying an enclosed trailer to replace my 18' open car hauler and I need to figure out how to "re-invent" the front tie-down attaching points for my 87 coupe.

Right now, I have anchor shackles attached to the factory tie-down eyes on the frame and I attach the front ratchet straps there. This works really well as I can access the shackles easily with the car on the trailer. Just kneel down and reach in behind the tire and snap the strap on.

With an enclosed trailer, the current ease of access with the open trailer will be pretty much gone The trailer I'm looking at has floor-mounted D-rings so I need to figure out a new way to attach the straps to the car from the front end.

Is anyone using the front crossmember for attaching tie-down straps? Does it have enough strength to allow attaching straps? If so, can I weld some eyes to the front crossmember?

An alternative would be to use e-track on the floor and use webs over the front tires, but the height of the trailer wheel fenders on the inside walls will require me to install risers on the floor so I can open the car door.

Ideas? Suggestions??
Old 09-24-2011, 12:34 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

back it in, make a u-shaped chock for the rear tires to back into and secure the front?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I have a tow hook attached to that front cross member - it has been tested and no deflection on the small crossmember even when towed after a blown engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailering my 87 - front tie-down questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailering my 87 - front tie-down questions