C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hatch Weatherstrip Corners.....how?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:00 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
FWIW, I have repaired the corners on C4 rear hatch weather strip with black gel, super-glue. worked good, held up good, and no issues.
Shouldn't have to repair them. If they were manufactured correctly they wouldn't split.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:48 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by kenmohr
Shouldn't have to repair them. If they were manufactured correctly they wouldn't split.
I put a new GM weatherstrip on my 87 years ago... it lasted 2 months before it split on the passenger side. I glued it and it stayed good until I removed it.

I have a reproduction on it now but only because I used it for a test fit to do our instruction sheet and it's still holding strong so far.

But..... it's really not fair to use my install of a reproduction... the car just sit's and gets no use so I can't say one way or the other with the CA reproduction.

What I can say is that it fit better in the lower corners than the OEM weatherstrip, it seems to be a bit longer. The original weatherstrip pulled away from the corner a bit, the reproduction one fit deeper in the pocket.

I wish one manufacturer would just read these threads and make them with better glue.. It seems to me ridiculous that in today's world not one manufacturer can get this right.

Willcox
Old 09-27-2016, 01:43 AM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Black windshield urethane used very caefully. It`ll never come loose from the body or apart. It adheres to nearly anything. Laquer thinner won`t cut it. If you get it on your skin, you`ll wear it off. Comes in a caulking tube. Available at body shop supply shops.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:54 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I wish one manufacturer would just read these threads and make them with better glue.. It seems to me ridiculous that in today's world not one manufacturer can get this right. Willcox
My thoughts exactly. Being forced to buy inferior products because that's all there is just SUCKS. And it's not like it's a rare problem. It's the same recurring problem. It's a shame really, the overall quality of mine is really good but what's the point when both corners don't sit down far enough and they split wide open?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:02 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

There is a gap at the glass side and none at the inside body. The part beeds to be cut at an angle on the way to the glass. That would close the gap and relieve the stress on the seam and let the weatherstrip close into the corner as in my earlier post. Look at the pic below and see the seal is against the body but not the glass. I too wish the manufactures would read these posts. I show my vette and the repaired corner looks bad.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:20 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

These are supposed to be better, I have no personal experience with them.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:36 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
These are supposed to be better, I have no personal experience with them.
May have been at one time, but not anymore.

Website still says "Made in USA" but both packages they sent me were labelled "Made in India"
Old 09-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by RUU
May have been at one time, but not anymore. Website still says "Made in USA" but both packages they sent me were labelled "Made in India"
Just the packages were made in India.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:19 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

My original factory seal came apart in the driver's side corner (the hatch glass is offset to the right and puts stress on that corner). I sewed the seam with black thread and that lasted for many years.

I recently replaced the seal with AC Delco weatherstrip and the same corner broke. I used The Last Glue (superglue with added secret ingredients) to glue it back together. Holding OK so far (a couple of months).
Old 09-28-2016, 07:30 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Originally Posted by RUU
May have been at one time, but not anymore.

Website still says "Made in USA" but both packages they sent me were labelled "Made in India"
Are these from steel rubber products in Texas? If so I would call them and send a picture of that corner. Mine is 5 years old and still looks great. They were excellent to deal with and were very helpful to me. I don't understand why once they were set up to produce them they would resort back to overseas. What did they charge you for them?
Old 09-28-2016, 10:33 AM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Are these from steel rubber products in Texas? If so I would call them and send a picture of that corner. Mine is 5 years old and still looks great. They were excellent to deal with and were very helpful to me. I don't understand why once they were set up to produce them they would resort back to overseas. What did they charge you for them?
Yes, listed price. Discussed earlier this year.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592466576
Old 09-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Don't know if mine is original or not. It's NOT glued down in the back by the latch, so I'm guessing it is probably a replacement. Started to separate on the driver side corner, so I cleaned it real good with isopropyl alcohol and when it dried, I joined the ends with 'The Right Stuff'. The Right Stuff seems to like and join with that kind of rubber and matches it very well. I always have either a door open or a window down when I close the hatch to keep the air pressure from blowing out the seal. I think air pressure pops a lot of them out when you shut the hatch glass down hard.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:05 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Originally Posted by RUU
Yes, listed price. Discussed earlier this year.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592466576
how much did you pay
Old 09-29-2016, 09:31 AM
RUU
Melting Slicks

how much did you pay
Same price in the link JimLentz posted, $180 + $40 shipping (+30% exchange rate)
Old 09-30-2016, 07:13 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Originally Posted by RUU
Same price in the link JimLentz posted, $180 + $40 shipping (+30% exchange rate)
Their imports were a lot less years ago. Sorry you are having a problem. I am very happy with my fit.

Quick Reply: Hatch Weatherstrip Corners.....how?