C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My experiences with FIJ Connection and a crappy dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:07 PM
starfire54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experiences with FIJ Connection and a crappy dealer

Firstly, I want to convey my appreciation to those who provided advise and encouragement for all of my requests. The issues that I have had to overcome need a little background info so all can understand
the overall problems.

My first mistake in buying a 1996 CE hardtop convertible was that I did not have the option to personally inspect the vehicle due to the fact I'm self employed and have a retail store front, so I could not get away. The car was located in North Carolina and is a 12 hour run from my location in Florida.
The name of the establishment is Tim Newton Auto Sales ( I would not refer anyone ). This gentlemen was not very forthright about the condition of the car, however I did not take his word for anything and
had the local Chevy dealer inspect the car. The dealer stated that the car was in great condition and only needed a new valve cover gasket and the heat shield on one of the cats was vibrating. Well, given that the report was good I went ahead and made the purchase.

The carfax confirmed the fact this was a one owner car and the mileage was accurate. The vehicle has 35K miles and the body had zero damage, but the overall condition of the car was less than stellar.

The purported cat heat shield vibration was not true and in fact is a broken baffle in the resonator.
I also noticed the car would not start once the engine temp was warm. I called the chevy dealer and he said he did not notice the condition, yeah, yeah. I think this guy was in the hip pocket of the auto dealer.

Enough back ground, I had read a bunch of posts to see if I could find some help and I stumble on the threads about injectors and Jon (FIJCONNECTION), well I have to say my experience with him was excellent. He provided great support and was willing to go beyond the norm to help me resolve my issues. I wanted state quickly that I did not buy injectors solve the warm start issue, I want to eliminate the Multecs for performance reasons. As things turned out, I had a bad connector on cylinder one that was showing mis fires, however this was not the warm start problem, that was an ECT sending bad values to the PCM, always 70 degrees, so when I warm started the car it would flood.

I still have to deal with the resonator and a few interior issues, but the car now performs great, throttle response is significantly better and idle is much smoother.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:36 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

believe its "FIC" injectors
Old 09-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Yep it is FIC injectors
Old 09-25-2011, 05:48 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard a single bad thing about FIC injectors. That tells you something about them.

How did you find out it was the ETC?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

You might want to double check the resonator. It is rare they go bad. Generally the problem is with the cataletic convertors. The insides crack, causing them to rattle or eventually to get into the resonatoror- mufflers. Flooding/fuel problems can cause this as can hitting speed bumps. I also have nothing but good to say about Jon at FIC.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:28 PM
starfire54
Advanced

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
believe its "FIC" injectors
It was not the injectors, the connector to the number one cylinder was bad!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:32 PM
starfire54
Advanced

Originally Posted by navy_vette
I haven't heard a single bad thing about FIC injectors. That tells you something about them.

How did you find out it was the ETC?
I had an over heat condition where the fans did not activate a 228 degrees. So, I used the FSM and all indications pointed to the ECT, also i started to pat attention to the digital coolant readout vs the analog and found that the temp would not change from 70 degress. I changed the part out and the fans now work and my warm start issue has been resolved.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:59 AM
hypntyz
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by starfire54
It was not the injectors, the connector to the number one cylinder was bad!
He's telling you that you misspelled "FIC" (FIJ), not that the problem was the injectors.

My 85 has Jon's upgraded injectors in it and runs great. He also sold me a used adjustable fuel pressure regulator which made a lot of difference going from 30-33psi to 40-45psi rail pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To My experiences with FIJ Connection and a crappy dealer

Quick Reply: My experiences with FIJ Connection and a crappy dealer