johnven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have to hook up directly to the battery guys these come in handy:

Old 07-22-2012, 04:46 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What's wrong with just starting it up every week or two while in storage in the winter months? Or can't you disconnect the negative cable so the security system doesn't drain the battery? Like I do on my boat and riding lawnmower.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:43 AM
rcle1220
Advanced

Default quick dis-connects

Originally Posted by SUPERCHARGE
I don't understand why your batteries are discharging. You guys may have bigger issues at hand here. As stated, no charger will completely repair a battery that keeps getting depleted. You should figure out where discharge is coming from. And if you're letting your car sit for months at a time during the winter, do what I do, just attach a quick disconnect to the battery. I always install disconnects on my batteries to kill power fast if I ever need to and will always have a charged battery even after sitting for a couple months.
Where can I find this quick dis-connect for the battery? Sounds like a great idea.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 AM
buyacar
Intermediate

proracr, why are your wheels on backwards?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Richard G.
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I too am surprised that C4 owners need a battery tender. I understand if you just leave it sit for a number of months.
But I feel you are decreasing the life of your Corvette by letting it set.
I run mine at least every thirty days. Bad weather I run it for 20 or more minutes and move my Corvette back and forth thereby exercising trans, brakes and other rotating parts and systems.
I have always bought 84 month batteries (Best I could find).
Old saying, ("If you do not use it you loose it").
Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm not surprised that a battery tender is needed by many Corvette owners. No more than by many boat owners: both boats and Corvettes are seasonal toys for many, many folks.
Steel, aluminum, rubber, and plastic do not require exercising: they are not living muscle tissue. A Corvette that is sitting in a garage is not decreasing it's life any more than a Corvette that is on the highway going 70 miles every hour.....most likely much less.
Also, starting and letting a vehicle sit, idling, for 20 minutes every month can build up condensation inside the engine. Not good. The engine oil must be brought up to normal operating temps (+212degrees) to rid the internals of water vapor. Better to not start the engine at all.
Them's the rules I live by.
The following 2 users liked this post by rocco16:
Wayne007 (12-26-2019), wingerr (07-15-2022)
Old 10-31-2014, 06:45 PM
vintageracer25
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hookedonvettes
Here's a question from the frozen north. Living in Kitchener, On,Canada, it obviously gets cold in the winter in my unheated garage, we could get well below freezing. I have always brought the battery indoors before connecting a similar battery tender for the winter months. Provided the battery tender is left connected, is it necessary to bring it indoors for the winter?
Yes... the tender will keep the battery safe through the Winter. I even got 8 years out of a motorcycle battery in a '72 BMW and 10 so far in my Triumph Spitfire. They sit in an unheated garage year round.
David
Old 11-02-2014, 03:14 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by johnven
If you have to hook up directly to the battery guys these come in handy:

Where can I purchase these ?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:23 PM
BenzB
6th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AirForceOne!
What's wrong with just starting it up every week or two while in storage in the winter months? Or can't you disconnect the negative cable so the security system doesn't drain the battery? Like I do on my boat and riding lawnmower.
Has more to do with the on board diagnostics than security systems and radios. These OBD systems need to be powered all the time. OBD2 systems especially.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 PM
BenzB
6th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Wish I could see the photos. I have a Schumacher maintainer for my '91 but would love to see your install.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:20 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

After cooking three expensive batteries in an ML430 that sits for many months at a time in my Alaska garage, I reasoned that the battery tender was continually charging it, due to the e-drains by the onboard gadgets. Now, I use a disconnect with a maintainer. Yes it gets Alzheimers, but recovers.

Never had a charged battery freeze.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:23 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

A charged battery will freeze about the same as good antifreeze in your engine block. It never gets really hard like ice does, just gets mushy slushy.

If it does freeze, you got bigger problems than trying to get your Vette out of the garage!
The following users liked this post:
BubbaKahuna (05-18-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 05:23 PM
TARHEEL_VETTE
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing Battery Disconnect C4

There is not enough room to put the Disconnect on the terminal...any suggestions? Any suggestions?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:15 AM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by TARHEEL_VETTE
There is not enough room to put the Disconnect on the terminal...any suggestions? Any suggestions?
Which type of disconnect are you trying to put on? What year is your car?

I put the knife switch type on my 1986.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:12 PM
Macabee18
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello fellow corvette enthusiasts! Tony's Corvette in Maryland installed a battery cut out switch for me. Works like a charm! Just pop the hood and pull up the toggle and done!
Old 05-08-2020, 09:58 PM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Originally Posted by Macabee18
Hello fellow corvette enthusiasts! Tony's Corvette in Maryland installed a battery cut out switch for me. Works like a charm! Just pop the hood and pull up the toggle and done!
Glad you got one.
Can you post a picture and also the brand & part number of the switch or a link to it?
Old 05-21-2020, 01:39 AM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Originally Posted by Macabee18
Can you post a picture and also the brand & part number of the switch or a link to it?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Battery charger / maintainer / desulfator project

Old 02-21-2022, 08:32 PM
Melvin Dale Pempsell
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it’ll be nice to see the pictures
Old 02-21-2022, 08:38 PM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Originally Posted by Melvin Dale Pempsell
it’ll be nice to see the pictures
Yup, I agree.

Old 10-21-2023, 08:11 AM
ol'George
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my'85 for 34 years,its a nice day car with 215,000 on it.

As the years roll on, I drive it less because of my age.

The primitive OBD1 computer exhibits a parasitic drain and Gm knew it but not how to engineer a less draw system back in the day.

So come the winter season I just disconnected the negative battery terminal and the battery is fine for the 4 to 5 months during winter without any charging or maintaining.

Every 6 or 7 years I routinely replace the battery with a new one and rotate the vette battery to one of my many other toys till it dies a natural death.

In these later years of my life, if it sits more than 2 months in summer the battery is discharged to a point is is not good for it as it is not a deep cycle battery.

All my life I have dabbled with electronics in some form or another and a 12V wall wart power supply that traditionally power a variety of small electrical items

like shavers, toys, old phones,games etc etc make a great 1/2 to 1 amp charger at no cost except to add a cigarette lighter plug to the end of the output cord.

As long as they are 12V DC output and polarity is observed.

I have an old reliable one in use since 1964, so these no/low cost home built "maintainers" do the job, just plug the "wart" into the wall outlet and the other end in the lighter socket, close the door and put on the car cover till the next cruise night.

You can't beat something that works and is free.

Just my .$.02.
The following 2 users liked this post by ol'George:
JETS C3-C4 (10-21-2023), VikingTrad3r (12-18-2023)

Quick Reply: C4 Battery charger / maintainer / desulfator project