C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

help with PKE remote

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with PKE remote

I have a 1994 c4 and when I bought it it did not have a PKE remote, it had been lost sometime in the past. I know it should have had the system because I have the PKE antena in the cargo bay. I have to mention that my driver's door has some electrics not working, the door close switch is not working too well, the electric lock button does not work and the cargo door release button also does not work. The passenger door all works except the electric lock button.
Anyway I bought a brand new PKE keychain and proceeded to try and program it to my car. I pressed the buttons as per the instructions, but the PKE light never came on on the info panel.
Help!!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:03 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

All 94s came with the PKE system, you did not give us much info to go on, but I will assumeyou followed all steps correctly to program the fob; most likely the problem is that the PKE receiver in the dash is not working. That is expensie and time consuming to replace.

I would start with the easier alternatives, fix all of the problems you mentioned. The PKE problem could be caused by a bad door closed switch. Sounds like the drivers door has a wiring problem that could also mess up the PKE. Any of those problems could have a common cause with a PKE problem.

If you can get those problems fixed and still can't program the fob, post detailed info about what you did to program it, and exactly what happened after each step.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:39 AM
RustInPeace
Instructor

when I first got my 94 the PKE system did not work and the light would never come on to program it. The previous owner had installed a cheap after market radio which I did not like so I replaced it with the factory bose unit. When I first reinstalled the bose it had no power, checked the fuses and that was the problem, after changing the fuse for the bose my PKE started working perfect and has been fine ever since. The aftermarket radio did have power so it must not have been wired into that fuse. I would check the fuses for the door locks and the radio, might be something simple like that, good luck.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 PM
dlewintx
1st Gear

Default Try new remote battery

I just went through the same thing on a 1994, except all of my switches worked. I got a new remote, but could not get it to program. Primary issue was the PKE light was not showing up on the panel at initial key on because the PKE system was put into passive mode (off) sometime in the past. Couldn't find out how to put it back into active mode (PKE light on during bulb test). Tried a lot of different approaches found in forums and nothing worked.

I then, as a fluke, bought a new battery for the remote. Went to the car, pressed the remote button for five seconds. Still nothing happened. However, when I inserted the key and turned to on, the PKE light on the panel now came on indicating the system was now in active mode. From that point on I was able to program the remote as per the programming instructions.

It seems the PKE system, once put into passive mode, will not go active again, until it senses a remote signal (any remote). Then once the system is active, it will then check to see if the remote matches what is in its memory. The trick is realizing that new remotes may have batteries that are not good, and need to be replaced.

dlewintx
Old 11-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Cavi
Pro

I will try that
Old 11-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOTE: the battery in these FOB's don't last long. You can probably get 6 months before they start to go bad. Also note that if the FOB starts to act weird, replace the battery. A voltage below 3 indicates time to replace it.

The reason the battery goes down fast if you keep the FOB on your key chain or pocket all the time. If you rattle the FOB, you should here a small ball bearing noise. Every time it makes that rattling sound, its using voltage to transmit. Its best to always place it out of your pocket when not in use to extend the battery life.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Cavi
Pro

some more info and updates. I went to check my fuses and it turns out one of the PO had removed fuse 42 and had attached a red and a blue wire to the fuse socket, these two wires go into the dash to who knows what. Anyway, the fuse above it that does LH csy, I assume left courtesty lights was also missing so I moved the red and blue wires up to that spot and installed a fuse in the 42 spot, so not my power locks work, which is sort of a major victory in itself. Also now when I turn the key on the Passive lock system light does come on but it stays on. I tried programing but since the light is permanently on it didnt seem to work. I also noticed that while the light is on if I turn the key off then back on that the light does go off, however it then will not come on when I try and program it. Also, if I turn it on and the light is on and I turn it off but remove the key, then the next time I turn on the key the light will be on premanently again. The only way for it to go off and remain off while the car is on is to turn the key on, then off then on again without removing the key. Last, if the key is not in the car then the light is not on.
So now, does anyone have any other ideas? I also still need the door switch on the driver's side which only works partly. If I open the driver's door, sometimes the courtesy lights will come on but never the security light on the dash. the passenger's door everything works perfectly

Last, what do you all think I should do about the red and blue wires connected to the missing fuse? I kind of do not really want yo tear apart the whole dash just to see where they go if possible.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Cavi
Pro

A bit more new info, I have followed the stupid red and blue wires, they go to the back cargo area and under the storage bin where the jack is, they hook up to what looks like a serial plug, which has a wire that goes from it to what looks like a cat 5 jack. At this point I am guessing they were for a car phone of some sort, I will post a link to the picture. either way I removed the plugs from the fuse spot and replaced the fuse that should have been there. Anyway, that didn't solve much but the courtesy light on the drivers door seems a bit happier. Still no change on the PKE.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Cavi
Pro

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32617789/Pho...2042%20PM.jpeg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32617789/Pho...2051%20PM.jpeg

that is the link for the pictures
Old 11-24-2011, 09:14 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

First item to look at is to see if the PKE lamp lights for 2 seconds when key is turned to on. It is in the DIP light panel, lower left corner. As said if system is in sleep mode the lamp will not light. This is important because it is the selftest indication and a key to the health of the PKE receiver.

Even if in the sleep mode, it will go into programming mode (lamp will light) even if you did not have a remote but can not complete the sequence. If all systems and interlocks were working properly, and the PKE lamp did not light when entering the programming mode the PKE receiver is probably defective. But from what I gave read and Mark has said, there is a lot of work to do to bring things up to par before any firm decisions can be made.

One question, does the rear hatch open when the button on the door is pressed. This function goes thru the PKE. Just another point to check.

Don’t ask me why, but my key FOB batteries last for years , on all 3 of my FOBs.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

This thread might help:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...pke-issue.html

For me, it was the module inside the dash.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Cavi
Pro

I get that I have a long way to go, and not the cargo button on the door is not workimng but the one in the center console is. Also, at this point my PKE light on the DIC comes on but does not go off unless I turn the key off and back on again without removing the key. At this point I would like to know what the fact that the light remains on means.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Cavi
Pro

that thread was helpful. If i fix all the other issues with the door and it still does not work I will install an aftermarket door opener....
Old 11-24-2011, 10:47 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cavi
At this point I would like to know what the fact that the light remains on means.
The light is solely controlled by the software and firmware in the PKE receiver, not a lot of external inputs affect this function. It probably means the receiver is no good, one common symptom to happen.

The probabilty of failure is high, but the only real way to conform this is to replace the reciever.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:55 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

I should have mentioned the fuses. 26. 40 and 42 must all be OK for the system to work.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Cavi
Pro

Todays update, all the switches are working on both doors, sadly the pke light is still on full time, which i think means my reciever is dead, so i have to decide if i want to track down a replacement or just install an aftermarket keyless entry which will probably be less expensive
Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Default Just an opinion

The ones who have the PKE working love it. And some others don’t care for it. I like it and will always keep it working. Its designed to work with the CCM and the security system in the car. I like to keep my car as original. I like the passive function. I can’t say from experience if after market systems will make all work as normal.

You probably still have to remove the top pad of the dash to get to the wiring of the original PKE. So why not just drop in the correct unit and be done with it.

Get notified of new replies

To help with PKE remote

Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Cavi
Pro

Alright, as i stated before all switches on the doors are now functional. PKE still will not go into programming mode, sometimes the light on the driver info panel comes on sometimes not. I should also add that I am yet to hear a bell chime from my car, at least that I remember. Would the chime unit cause the pke to also malfunction? I found a source for a good used PKE reciever, should I also get the chime unit? Do I need it?( I personally do not miss it...)
Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Cavi
Pro

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+-+...&skuId=7729737

Anyone try this? I am torn between buying the used unit or just going with this one. I would just hate to buy the used unit and find out I needed more stuff. This viper unit would do everything I really need. I just do not really trust bust buy to install......
Old 11-28-2011, 06:54 PM
frenchsquared
Racer

if you do go with an aftermarket alarm, talk to the installer.
In my experience best buy sucks. But that all depends on the installer.
You can get back there and talk to him. Ask how many C4's he has worked on.

If he doesn't know what he is doing find a car toys. They tend to have better installers.

This is an assumption, I know there are always exceptions.
Your best buy could have a great installer. I'm not trying to upset anyone.
All the best buy's around me don't have any installers that I would let near one of my cars.

Quick Reply: help with PKE remote