C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Mice...RRRRR

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:59 PM
DA1984VETTE
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Mice...RRRRR

Car has been in the garage since November. I haven't driven it. The wife saw a mouse run from underneath it, so I set a trap for it. The trap was cleaned of the p-butter and no mouse. I reset it. I checked the trap, trap was gone, found it under the rug. Checked the car..and OH MY..mouse droppings everywhere..on the both sides of the floor on the seats and they chewed two hats I had in the hatch area... I also found a nest in the cowl area where the wipers are...vacuumed that out..no little ones..also found insulation type stuff on the floor...needless to say I am not a happy camper today. I put out some d-con out for the little burger and I am trying the dryers sheets in and around the car. I did start the car everything seems to be working okay except for the radio won't turn on. If I have to I will pull the dash to check for wiring being chewed on before driving it I will do that....
Old 12-23-2011, 09:02 PM
popo8
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh no... I have the same fear for mine since it sits outside, and I know, one of the storage compartments, is cracked open from the previous owner trying to jack it up under one....

Good luck man....
Old 12-23-2011, 10:19 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Jinks would say, "I hates them meeses to pieces." I've got a "ball bearing" mouse trap. It's called a tom cat.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

I can just about guarantee that there is a nest behind the radio. It's a favorite for the little *****.
I have used all the usual stuff to get rid of them:
moth *****,
dryer sheets,
irish spring (they ate that)
Nothing worked as well as FRESH CAB
they won't stay around it

got mine at Tru Value although not all have it.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:44 AM
ZONER-95
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've heard cotton ***** soaked with peppermint oil works......if nothing else, at least the car will smell sweet
Old 12-24-2011, 09:07 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Also raising the hood will at least keep them off the motor and harness.. With the hood up they would be exposed from the top and mice like being hidden under something...
I know this sounds strange but to find out just how many mice you have , and to get them out of the garage for a little while..Take a piece of plywood or a length of something like a 1" X 6" and start cutting into it with a power saw....My daughter told me about this and it works.. The mice can't stand the high pitch squeal of the blade going through the wood and they run to get away from it.. When I did this for about 10 seconds I saw at least 4 mice running for the open door to get away from the sound, I killed 2 with a broom in the front yard..They also make small units that plug into the wall that emit a super high pitch sound that humans can't hear. These will keep the mice out permenently......This newer technology really works..Give it a try......WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-24-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:18 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I get the TomCat brand poison. It is in a chunck and enclosed in it's own container where a child,dog, or cat cannot get into it. It works.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:19 AM
jon1all
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh that sucks. My wife and I were in a 3 year war with meeses in a camper that we leave parked up in eastern AZ year round. In the spring when we'd come back the whole camper would be filled with mice droppings! We'd spend the whole weekend cleaning the damn thing and killing mice instead of enjoying the campout!

Every year for the past 3 it'd be the same thing! Finally this year I think (read: hope) we won the battle. Sealed every nook and cranny of the whole stupid camper up with expanding foam... and killed off every critter in the joint. Hopefully this next spring we'll get there and it'll be clean. UGH!!!

So I feel for ya man!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:16 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Once a week or so I let my cat (Emily) wife named her go into my garage. She inspects everything and crawls everywhere. If there was one of those dirty little barstages in there, she'd find it and take of of business for me. I've never seen one or had any evidence of mice. I take care of her, and she takes care of me, and my cars!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:34 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Once a week or so I let my cat (Emily) wife named her go into my garage. She inspects everything and crawls everywhere. If there was one of those dirty little barstages in there, she'd find it and take of of business for me. I've never seen one or had any evidence of mice. I take care of her, and she takes care of me, and my cars!
Sounds like you have the most cost effective answer to the problem....Plus cats are .WW
Old 12-24-2011, 10:44 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

One more thing! Mice seem to know when and where cats hang out from what I've been told, so they avoid going to those places. Also I told my cat not to walk on any of the cars. She said she understood and promised me she wouldn't.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:20 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best mousetrap I've ever owned. He loves the garage and is very territorial. Notice the "knuckles" on the paws. They hold some of the longest, sharpest claws on the planet. Leo is an 18 pound Bengal cat and is faster than any rodent. Mighty mouse is going down if this cat's in the house. Guaranteed to keep the Vette meeses and feces free.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple of additional suggestions that have worked for me-

Home Depot sells sticky traps that have some kind of bait smell in them. When the mice get on these, they stick there until you come along and deal with them.

Another idea I have used very successfully for mice as well as chipmunks is home made- Take a 5-gal. bucket, like from drywall mud, and fill it half full with water. Take a 3 or 4 foot long piece of lumber, a 1x4 for example, and rest it on the rim of the bucket to make a ramp to the floor. Put a few sunflower seeds along the ramp, including one or two at the top, and throw a handful in the water; they will float. The mice eat their way up the ramp, see the seeds in the water, and fall in trying to get them. Of course, mice, being landlubbers, can't swim, and apparently can't learn, either. This trap seems dumb, but it works great.

I would not be inclined to use D-Con, as the mouse could crawl back into the car somewhere and expire.

Last edited by sailorsteve; 12-24-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:00 PM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hope nothing else got damaged. The stereo can be fixed. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:09 PM
DA1984VETTE
Drifting

Thanks for all the suggestions. I want that cat 1963SS has, that is one cool looking cat. On the d-con, yeah I thought of that, but I was so pi^&ed off that I didn't care how the thing died. I plan on taking the dash apart to see if I can see any other nests or any signs of living creatures and to see how much damage was done so far. I thank you again for the suggestions..You all have a Merry Christmas...Hey CRUZN I've calmed down a little since yesterday...
Old 12-24-2011, 09:37 PM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by DA1984VETTE
Thanks for all the suggestions. I want that cat 1963SS has, that is one cool looking cat. On the d-con, yeah I thought of that, but I was so pi^&ed off that I didn't care how the thing died. I plan on taking the dash apart to see if I can see any other nests or any signs of living creatures and to see how much damage was done so far. I thank you again for the suggestions..You all have a Merry Christmas...Hey CRUZN I've calmed down a little since yesterday...
That's good to here! Hope your Christmas will be a good one. I got to go to Kelly's family tomorrow.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Take it from one that lives in the country, that USED to have a severe mouse infestation!

One of two baits you gotta get ASAP:

One Bite, or Tomcat. One Bite cleaned my shed, house and garage of mice and a couple RATS too!

Peppermint oil (not the flavoring) on cotton ***** in the cabin and in the engine bay. That or Bounce dryer sheets work too. But, as a backup, I put a piece of the One Bite under the seats.

Try to seal up the garage. If you have to leave the car outside, leave the bait under the car and put some inside as well and under the hood too! LOTS of Bounce.

Good luck. BTDT, and you really have to go on the offensive to get the upper hand, or expect some wiring issues!!

P.

Get notified of new replies

To Mice...RRRRR

Old 12-24-2011, 10:48 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by 1963SS

Im not into cats but, that is one bad *** looking cat. I like Leo!

I dont store my Vette for obvious reasons. I do read all your "mice threads" and if I ever had to store a car I will be prepared for mice thanks to all your posts.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:21 PM
DA1984VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I can just about guarantee that there is a nest behind the radio. It's a favorite for the little *****.
I have used all the usual stuff to get rid of them:
moth *****,
dryer sheets,
irish spring (they ate that)
Nothing worked as well as FRESH CAB
they won't stay around it

got mine at Tru Value although not all have it.

Your are right Cruisinfanatic found a nest behind the radio today. I didn't see any activity for a couple of weeks or so. I decided today to look at a couple of places..there they were behind the radio (dead)..I sucked up 2or3 into the vacuum and one big one that didn't get in the hose. Found 3-4 wires chewed threw and others with the insulation gone wires still connected but frayed...well I guess the repairs begin...
Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
L82shark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

for some reason I think the corvette cowl area has a Motel 6 sign with Tom Bodette hollering for them to come on in. Also, anyone with a TPI motor, they love to crawl up under the plenum and snack on the vacuum lines and injector wires. I started using Bounce and Irish spring a couple of years ago and it did cut down on them somewhat. About every other year I will end up digging one out of the cowl area down by the fender. Have to stick a piece of heater hose on the end of my shop vac and suck them out of there.

Quick Reply: Mice...RRRRR