Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1988 electronic climate control orange wire cut and joined to the pink wire??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 AM
porshapower
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 electronic climate control orange wire cut and joined to the pink wire??

Hello On the harness that plugs into the heater/ac electronic climate control the orange wire was cut a couple of inches from the harness and spliced into the pink wire? Why would this be done? I notice that when I turn on my car the climate control unit automatically turns on and I have to press the button to turn it off every time. Thank You.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 PM
porshapower
Intermediate

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the climate control that shows what the pink and orange wires are for? Thank You in advance.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The connector has letters molded into it, one for each pin. What letter is the orange wire?

Do you have the C60 manual AC or the C68 electronic AC?

Generally, pink wires are hot all the time (not controlled by the ignition switch).
Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 AM
porshapower
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The connector has letters molded into it, one for each pin. What letter is the orange wire?

Do you have the C60 manual AC or the C68 electronic AC?

Generally, pink wires are hot all the time (not controlled by the ignition switch).
Hi, I have the C68 electronic a/c. I will have to tear the dash back apart this weekend. Had to put it back together to drive the car. The pink wire being hot all the time probably explains why the climate control turns on automatically every time I start the car. You would think there was a ghost in the passenger seat that turns it on when I start the car. All I do is press the off button and then it is fine until the next start up. Its a minor inconvenience but I would like to get it right. The orange wire was cut and left there abandoned. The couple of inches of orange wire coming out of the connector was then spliced into the pink wire from the connector. Thanks for the help!! Nel
Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Red=Power Input, from fusable link K, hot all the time
Orn=misc power input, from CTSY/CLK Fuse, hot all the time

I have no idea why that would be done if there is power to the clk and ctsy lights. So long as power is still coming in via the Orn wire you should be ok.
If all power is now coming in via the Red wire you might blow the CTSY/CLK fuse when the A/C compressor comes on/off.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 PM
porshapower
Intermediate

Thank You for the reply. Do you think it is the reason the unit turns on by itself every time I start the car? I tried another unit and it did the same thing. Guess I could always take the orange wire off the pink wire and reattach the orange wire to see what happens. When you mentioned red wire do you mean the pink wire...I dont remember if there was a pink and red wire off the harness. Thanks so much for the help.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

On my 86 C68, the only orange wire is for defogger. Your symptoms sound like you are not getting constant power to the control head memory circuit.
On mine, the pink/white wire from clk/ctsy fuse is responsible for memory.
Here is some info from my 86 FSM, maybe it will help you get your wiring in order.

http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/HVAC%20Electrical.pdf
Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 PM
porshapower
Intermediate

Thank You! Now that Im thinking about I dont even know if my convertible has a rear defrost...Ill have to check. Thank you for the FSM material. I will have to look at this and see if I can make any sense of the madness. Nel
Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

My '88 FSM shows OR into the memory power input at pin D4 and Pnk/Blk into the Solid State VR at pin C2 of the Heater and A/C Control Assy.
Color coding is bit different from '86 but the diagrams otherwise look the same save for a Wh wire out at pin D1 to the Heater & A/C Programmer.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
My '88 FSM shows OR into the memory power input at pin D4
Repairing his Orange should kill the ghost.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 AM
porshapower
Intermediate

Thank You guys for the help! I think the reason the "po" cut the orange wire was because it was not getting any power so he spliced it into the pink wire right next to it. Ive been doing alot of reading and need to check this "infamous" fuse on the firewall.. Maybe it is blown and he had no idea it was there...keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Power to the Orn wire comes through the CTSY/CLK Fuse.

The 5 Amp A/C Underhood Fuse is what feeds the blower control signal back to the Heater and A/C Control Assy. I think it's likely this fuse being blown could be the cause of your problem.

The fuse is locted just above the blower motor housing near a wire bundle that goes into the firewall.

Let us know what you find.

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 electronic climate control orange wire cut and joined to the pink wire??

Quick Reply: 1988 electronic climate control orange wire cut and joined to the pink wire??