C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Newbie with Question #1

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Sam Ruger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Newbie with Question #1

Actually, this is my third question but they're being posted in reverse order. I'm asking first time owner questions as I'm now only hours into ownership of my first C4.

In this question I'm asking about interior maintenance (I have leather) and interior noise. In the two months worth of posts I've read here I have read of plastic interior parts dulling and witnessed numerous Ebay photos of cracked upholstery (Including split seats in convertible LT4 with only 31,000 miles on it!). I don't want my interior cracking or dulling (The guy I bought mine from not only garaged it but kept it covered inside the garage.). I don't want to screw up what he started. But I don't want to cover it twice either. I plan to drive it.

Second - road noise. I've had this car for such a short time I haven't even been on the freeway with it (There was another guy coming to buy the car behind me. I picked it up from the owner before he got there and a bidding war started.). But I've read about tire noise and I owned a '68 vette and you had to yell at your passenger to be heard on the freeway.

Although I picked a '96 in the hopes it would have the fewest rattles, I have noticed if I Google "96 corvette road noise" I get ads offering cures so I'm kind of figuring this problem still exists (especially when the radio automatically turns up the volume the faster you go.).

I've seen three different ads for noise reduction. One is simply a slat that fits between the outside mirrors and window frame to cut wind noise for $ 30. Anyone bought them? Does it work?

The second was for a fairing that broke the wind flow over the top of the car when the removable top was off. It was about $ 160. Anyone tried it? Any success?

The third was to insert sound deadening material behind the door panels and under the carpet (I did this on my '68). Evidentaly, the doors are the biggest offenders followed by the rear tires on a C4.

I'll try and edit this to post links to the ads. Just wondering if anyone tried them and noticed a difference.

Thanks for reading this. One of the things I like about this site is that people will read all the way down as far as this when someone requests help - Even if they can't help you. It shows they would if they could.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

1. yes
2. with the top off, yes
3. dynomat 'hushmat', remove your entire interior and put it from the fire wall to the rear hatch, including doors and storage boxes, works great , buy it in 20 foot rolls and cut to fit, hope this helps
Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I think the 96 does have the wind deflector on the outside mirrors.My 95 vert has them.I do not have any rattles in my car maybe I'm lucky. I know gm addressed some of the rattle issues in the later C4.good luck.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Congrats on your new (to you ) Corvette!!

For the interior, I'm a big fan of Griot's Garage stuff. Their leather cleaner and conditioner is a fantastic product. Regular use will keep the seats looking great. Griot's has a lot of interior and exterior cleaning/polishing/wax for keeping your car looking good. Check out their website; you can get some excellent car care tips and order products. If you ever get to Tacoma, drop by their new store jut off I-5 and 38th Street.

The small deflector you mentioned works fine for keeping wind off your face that comes in between the outside mirror housing and the windshield pillar. I think they were standard on 'verts and some coupes got them (my '87 coupe has them) but not for every model year. The ones you see in catalogs are plastic and come with two-sided tape. The GM ones are metal and are attached with rivets but are easy to install. Try to find the GM version; the plastic ones are not the best.

That windshield header fairing that attaches above the header does little more that re-direct some airflow up and over the top of the car. Frankly, it looks pretty ugly as it sticks up a good 6" over the top of the windshield. You can raise the sunvisors to get pretty much the same effect. Hats help too especially on sunny days.

A lot of the road noise you hear is probable due to the tire tread pattern. Some tires can be very quiet, some will set up a horrible drone. Dynamat in the rear cargo area will be the first step to try. You can also remove the rear tires and use some of the paint-on bed liner on the fiberglass portions of the body near the suspension pieces. Also, remove the rear wheelwell housings in the front and do the same thing.

IMHO, doing the entire car with Dynamat can be expensive and may be unnecessary in the front of the car. I've never heard of insulating the doors; there's probably more material in the c4 door panels compared to a C3 panel.

Another way to cure road noise is with a good exhaust system I'd rather have a good exhaust note that tire whine anyday!!

And you need to post some pics of the car too!!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I have heard that a hatch vent will help air flow when the top is off. Maybe someone that has one will chime in.

I use the plastic stick on mirror deflectors on this coupe. Did not want to drill the mirrors & if the next owner does not like them a heat gun should get them off without damage.

I like Pledge for leather, cars, couch, 2 wheel ride gear etc.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:55 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

bought in rolls from fleabay dynomat store , 20' rolls, $43
Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

The combination of mirror fairings and hatch vent makes it a lot nicer with the targa top off.

Warning: Use of the hatch vent in the rain with the top on will cause rain to hit you in the back of the head.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Sam Ruger
Instructor

It sounds like mirror deflectors get two "thumbs up" (No. My 96 does not have them.). And dynomat 'hushmat' for the rear cargo area too but skip the top wind deflector. Thanks, guys!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Hotred94
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think no matter what you do, the vette will always be a loud ride. I put down sound absorbing mat under the carpet all around and then I sprayed on undercoating in the rear wheel wheels. That helped some.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 PM
r15
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as leather care goes, a lot of guys like the Zaino leather care. I have personally never tried it. I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner. Seems to work well and keeps the seats supple but not slippery. I put more conditioner on if I have had the top off more often because of sun damage. Sometimes I also put on some Aerospace 303 for added protection from the sun.

As far as the rattles go, some guys go as far as installing all new trim mounts/plugs. Sometimes a rattling panel has been pulled off too many times and new hardware can help.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Satoa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hotred94
I think no matter what you do, the vette will always be a loud ride. I put down sound absorbing mat under the carpet all around and then I sprayed on undercoating in the rear wheel wheels. That helped some.
I have to agree - it's just part of it.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
I have heard that a hatch vent will help air flow when the top is off. Maybe someone that has one will chime in.
The hatch vent makes an incredible difference when the top is off.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Speedjester
Racer

The rattles all but disappeared once I changed all the weatherstripping... Seems to have really tightened everything up...
Old 03-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue 92
The combination of mirror fairings and hatch vent makes it a lot nicer with the targa top off.

Warning: Use of the hatch vent in the rain with the top on will cause rain to hit you in the back of the head.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Sam Ruger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hotred94
That was my experience with my '68!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Sam Ruger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Speedjester
The rattles all but disappeared once I changed all the weatherstripping... Seems to have really tightened everything up...
I saw lots of posts regarding weatherstripping but failed to read them. What the general consensus here on the subject? Why does it pop up so much?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sam check to see if you have run flat tires on your car. IF you do there is the source for a significant portion of your noise. I've driven my 95 year round as my dd here for the past 6 years and its nowhere near as noisy inside the car as the C5 I just bought with runflats.... they're coming off next weekend.

Also make sure that you're not still running on the original tires .... if so.... no matter what the condition of the tread .... replace them.They are to old to drive on them safely.

PS you DO need to post up some pics of your car ..... its kinda required

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie with Question #1

Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Sam Ruger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
PS you DO need to post up some pics of your car ..... its kinda required
How and where do I post them? I haven't taken any myself but the prior owner sent a set.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
The hatch vent makes an incredible difference when the top is off.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The mirror wind deflectors really helped knock down some noise on both of my cars...I do smoke in the car (I know, I know) but they help when driving with the windows cracked open a little bit...you don't get that blast of air hitting you in the face and chest.

Quick Reply: Newbie with Question #1