C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bumper/facia paint question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:34 PM
J W Drew
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Bumper/facia paint question

My 85 is white with bronze bottom. The front and rear bumper/facias are weathered. I took the car to a couple of body shops to get a quote to paint. They both said they would need to remove the facias to do this job. I think a good shooter could do a good job with the parts intact. I'm not trying to be cheap, just don't want someone messing with the integrity of original. What do you think?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

They should be able to paint them on the car. With a car that old, I don't like removing the bumpers if I can help it, because often they have shrunk or distorted, and it can be a bitch to realign, not to mention (depending upon where the car is from) corrsion on the fasteners, necessitating replacement. Having said that, the prescribed method is removal. There is no reason a competant body man can't mask it properly.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
TTOP350
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate tape lines so I prefer to remove anything I can to make the job look better. A pain in the butt sometimes sure but its worth it in the end.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:51 PM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TTOP350
I hate tape lines so I prefer to remove anything I can to make the job look better. A pain in the butt sometimes sure but its worth it in the end.
If you hate tape lines then don't got to Macco. You won't see any tape lines from a quality shop
Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 PM
kerrynewman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might get a good job on the front one without taking it oof the car since the joint between the front facia and the hood is not a "seam". There is a 1/4 inch gap between them. The rear deck mates right up to the rear facia, this is where the problem is. If you tape it off, you will not like the results. The rear facia should be properly prepared and painted, meaning sand the facia, around the edges and an inch underneath. Then paint the surface and AROUND the edge onto the underneath. If you don't do this, you stand a real good chance that the paint will eventually peal off at this edge. Plus you can paint the light openings allot better with the facia off, and lights removed. So Unless you are not too particular about your car. take 'em off! It not that hard.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:37 PM
TTOP350
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by red rock
If you hate tape lines then don't got to Macco. You won't see any tape lines from a quality shop
I would never step foot in a Macco or Earl Schibe(sp) joint.
A lot of production shops are cutting corners these days so you have to becareful where you go..

My 16yr old paint dosen't have one tape line.

Last edited by TTOP350; 03-25-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 AM
J W Drew
Racer

Originally Posted by kerrynewman
You might get a good job on the front one without taking it oof the car since the joint between the front facia and the hood is not a "seam". There is a 1/4 inch gap between them. The rear deck mates right up to the rear facia, this is where the problem is. If you tape it off, you will not like the results. The rear facia should be properly prepared and painted, meaning sand the facia, around the edges and an inch underneath. Then paint the surface and AROUND the edge onto the underneath. If you don't do this, you stand a real good chance that the paint will eventually peal off at this edge. Plus you can paint the light openings allot better with the facia off, and lights removed. So Unless you are not too particular about your car. take 'em off! It not that hard.
It's my understanding to remove the front facia the hood/nose has to be removed. Seems like this could open up a can of worms.
JW
Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Bumper/Fascia paint question

Last year on my way to Elkhart Lake, Wisc. for the Corvette Tribute, I scraped the underside of the front fascia on a tire stop. It was undetectable from the top view, but was pretty ugly when viewed from below. I brought it to my body/paint guy for an estimate. When he looked at it he immediately suggested that we take it off for the repair/repaint. He said, "the only way to fix this correctly is to remove it from the car". So we removed it and discovered that it had been repaired once before, but is was painted on the car then. You could see ALL the taped seams and the overspray where the previous owner had done a lousy job. After the repair/repaint with the fascia off the car it looked just like a factory paint job. There was no tape seams, and no over spray any where. The paint was shiney and uniform from top to bottom and front to back. I was very pleased, and you cannot detect that it was ever repaired.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 AM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Itshakes
Last year on my way to Elkhart Lake, Wisc. for the Corvette Tribute, I scraped the underside of the front fascia on a tire stop. It was undetectable from the top view, but was pretty ugly when viewed from below. I brought it to my body/paint guy for an estimate. When he looked at it he immediately suggested that we take it off for the repair/repaint. He said, "the only way to fix this correctly is to remove it from the car". So we removed it and discovered that it had been repaired once before, but is was painted on the car then. You could see ALL the taped seams and the overspray where the previous owner had done a lousy job. After the repair/repaint with the fascia off the car it looked just like a factory paint job. There was no tape seams, and no over spray any where. The paint was shiney and uniform from top to bottom and front to back. I was very pleased, and you cannot detect that it was ever repaired.
So more or less you never noticed that it had been repaired before you scraped the underside ?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Speedjester
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a good painter does it there will be no noticeable tape line..I just had my car painted two weeks ago( except bumpers)and never removed the bumpers... Car looks great...

My experience with those bumpers from before is sometimes you really open up a can of worms trying to get them off...
Old 03-26-2012, 11:23 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by red rock
So more or less you never noticed that it had been repaired before you scraped the underside ?
Ouch, actually, that's what I was thinking.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:23 PM
J W Drew
Racer

Went in the shop today. Going to remove the facias. Will let you know the results. Pray for no worms.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps post before and after pics?

I would agree with not having to remove the front for paint as it is easily masked off. I would remove the side marker lights and the spoiler, but mask the rub strip and naturally the surrounding areas. For the rear, while it can be painted on the car, I think removing it would give the best results. My 85 was repainted with both front and rear still on the car by the PO. They did a decent job on the front until you looked underneath and saw all the overspray. In the rear, they did a crappy job of masking off the tail lights. If the rear was off, the lights could of been removed for a better looking result.

When it came to repaint the nose and hood last summer after an incident, my paint guy removed both the nose and the hood and painted them off the car returning the factory look.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Given the age of the paint and what a PIA it is to match metallics like bronze, a decent shop will want to blend the paint onto the doors and the upper rear quarters (in the case of the white). If they don't, you'll have a definite color mismatch, even on the white.

Basically for a professional looking touchup, you need to consider respraying nearly the entire bottom half of the car (to alleviate the bronze match concerns) and blend over the top of the hood, the rear of the doors, and the rear quarters to ensure the white matches.

Get notified of new replies

To Bumper/facia paint question

Quick Reply: Bumper/facia paint question