A/C Delco Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 10:12 PM
mshipon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Default A/C Delco Battery Replacement

Where's the best place to get a replacement battery for my '94 coupe? On-line or local store in in Boston area?
Old 05-19-2002, 10:13 PM
Lv2Driv
Drifting

Default Re: A/C Delco Battery Replacement (mshipon)

probably local store that offers warranty replacement. that way you can always run over and have it replaced if you need to.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:14 PM
carter200
Safety Car

Default Re: A/C Delco Battery Replacement (Lv2Driv)

probably local store that offers warranty replacement. that way you can always run over and have it replaced if you need to.
Smart thing to do :yesnod:
Old 05-19-2002, 10:28 PM
GS Ragtop
Race Director

Location: Michigan in the summer, Florida the rest of the time
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11

A while back I did a Worldparts search for a replacement battery and received responses from a bunch of GM dealers (including a couple of local guys). Prices ranged from $75-$95 - list price then was $130.

I wound up getting a Battery Tender instead. Since mine is a weekend toy (and only in nice weather), the battery wasn't getting fully charged. Worked wonders - no need for a new battery. :cheers:

Brad
Old 05-19-2002, 11:21 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: A/C Delco Battery Replacement (GS Ragtop)

A little over a year ago I replaced my battery with the "correct" replacement A/C Delco battery. Purchased it (with a warranty) through the local Chevrolet dealership. I believe the cost was right around $80.00.
Old 05-19-2002, 11:51 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

I use an Optima Yellowtop battery on my Vette's. But I have a lot of stereo equipment and my cars sits for long periods of time. They were $139.00 each but I don't have to worry about a dead battery, and if the unlikely happens and they do need a recharging they won't be damaged like regular led acid batteries would be. :D :yesnod:
Old 05-20-2002, 12:17 AM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: A/C Delco Battery Replacement (The^Nomad)

If you are looking for a bargain try WalMart's Everstart battery I have one in all my cars including my ZR-1. They work great and last as long as any battery I've tried. The best part is they are only $29.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:24 AM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Optima is a lead / acid battery of the AGM variety. It will suffer from deep discharge like any lead acid battery. You can get AGM batteries in starting or deep discharge designs, just like regular batteries. Deep discharge batteries will tollerate being discharged somewhat better at the cost of some starting current. However both will fail sooner with deep discharge.

Steps of decision:

If battery is discharged by sitting w/o use for long periods of time (or other reasons):

Buy deep discharge battery (AGM or otherwise)
Charge battery before it deeply discharges

If normal use battery (starts the car every day):

Buy starting battery
Buy the freshest battery you can find, from a seller who moves lots of batteries.
If the car sits alot, use an automatic charger setup for the ideal current for the battery it's charging. Products like the "battery tender" try to do this.

Big advantage of AGM type lead acid batteries is the shelf life is somewhere around 6 months when new, as apposed to standard batteries that have about 3 month shelf life. AGM also works very well sideways or upside down, this is why they were invented for military, avation uses. AGM is unlikely to leak as the acid is contained in a paste form.

Advantage of standard battery is cost and high power. A very fresh, well charged, and well maintained standard battery that does not need to turn sideways will out perform an AGM every time. However, AC/Delco has been having some problems with the + connection overheating and leaking battery acid. Personally think this is a side terminal connection issue, keep them clean and torqued to spec.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:23 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: A/C Delco Battery Replacement (PeteL)

Martin, whatever you do, don't get another AC Delco battery, those things fall apart, I've seen it happen on dozens of C4's and C5's.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:52 AM
linkschamp
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a believer in the Sears DieHard Gold. The warranty is excellent. If you buy
the battery and install yourself, fine. However, if you have it done by Sears
(and get the $9.95 charging system check) you will pay $19.95 for the same
check on a vette because they struggle to get the side-panel off - at least
that's what I was told). I bought the battery and installed it myself. If you
get it installed at Sears, remove the side panel before going! :yesnod:

Oh, they list two batteries - one for the LT1 & one for the ZR1 (don't know
about the L98's). Get the ZR1 - more power (cranking amps) but same
physical size. Cost is $79.99.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:55 AM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Default Re: A/C Delco Battery Replacement (PeteL)

Optima is a lead / acid battery of the AGM variety. It will suffer from deep discharge like any lead acid battery. You can get AGM batteries in starting or deep discharge designs, just like regular batteries. Deep discharge batteries will tollerate being discharged somewhat better at the cost of some starting current. However both will fail sooner with deep discharge.

Steps of decision:

If battery is discharged by sitting w/o use for long periods of time (or other reasons):

Buy deep discharge battery (AGM or otherwise)
Charge battery before it deeply discharges

If normal use battery (starts the car every day):

Buy starting battery
Buy the freshest battery you can find, from a seller who moves lots of batteries.
If the car sits alot, use an automatic charger setup for the ideal current for the battery it's charging. Products like the "battery tender" try to do this.

Big advantage of AGM type lead acid batteries is the shelf life is somewhere around 6 months when new, as apposed to standard batteries that have about 3 month shelf life. AGM also works very well sideways or upside down, this is why they were invented for military, avation uses. AGM is unlikely to leak as the acid is contained in a paste form.

Advantage of standard battery is cost and high power. A very fresh, well charged, and well maintained standard battery that does not need to turn sideways will out perform an AGM every time. However, AC/Delco has been having some problems with the + connection overheating and leaking battery acid. Personally think this is a side terminal connection issue, keep them clean and torqued to spec.
Why would anyone need more than 890 cold cranking amps for a Vette? They also have deep cycle batteries over 1000 cold cranking amps and up. Deep Cycle battery technology has progresses greatly over the past couple of years.

Basically, if you have a big stereo system or your car sits for long periods of time, the deep cycle battery is the best choice. If you don’t then you shouldn’t need one. You simply choose a battery for the application it will be used for.

Regardless if a deep cycle battery will die after continuous, prolonged discharges and recharges, a standard lead acid will be damaged after the first time it loses charge and has to be recharged. The deep cycle battery is more expensive but for a reason. In fact, you will hopefully never be able to take advantage of all the unique features of a sealed, leak proof, water proof and impact proof battery while just sitting in a Vette. However, You can have total piece of mind knowing if you happen to be hit by another vehicle in the battery side of the car and flipped upside down into a deep body of water, that battery will still be working long after you are dead. ;) :D :lol:
Old 05-20-2002, 02:39 AM
Voltech_LT4
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I'll have to agree with LinksChamp, Ive always used Sears batteries. They have great warranty's. If it dies, you bring it back to sears and they give you a new one. 2nd thing, Sears are Everywhere...its a real pain to send a battery through the mail and then wait for a new one that was bought on the internet. I buy loads of stuff on the internet, but some things you should just buy local. Get the Diehard Gold if you get a Sears battery. Vettes take a lot of power to start, if they are drained too much...you get that annoying click click click..and have to throw it on the charger for a while. Good Luck! :yesnod:
Old 05-20-2002, 02:57 PM
morphious
Race Director

Default Re: A/C Delco Battery Replacement (Voltech_LT4)

My vote is also for the Sears DieHard. Got one installed about six months ago and it works great. The warranty is good, and there are a lot of Sears service centers. :cheers:
Old 05-20-2002, 08:26 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: A/C Delco Battery Replacement (morphious)

Bought an AUTZONE DURALAST 7 daysa go when I got the new starter.
My old one was 6-years into a 7-year warranty and it still had juice left, but they gave me a credit for the 1 year I did not use. My new 7-year battery was $69.00 ** 720 COLD CRANKING AMPS (900 CRANKING AMPS) ** -> 3 YEAR FREE REPLACEMENT

I replaced it beacuse I thnk we wore it down bad not realizing that the starter had gone by-by!

[Modified by ld85, 9:37 PM 5/20/2002]
Old 05-20-2002, 09:05 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Why would anyone need more than 890 cold cranking amps for a Vette? They also have deep cycle batteries over 1000 cold cranking amps and up. Deep Cycle battery technology has progresses greatly over the past couple of years.
I don't know, I like having a lotta cca's, helpful in the winter.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:21 PM
88-L98-Z52
Pro

Default Re: A/C Delco Battery Replacement (Mr Mojo)

I've been very satisfied with my AC Delco battery... but... instead of buying the original replacement battery for my car... I bought the ZR-1 battery (75-7YR)... it's the most powerful AC Delco side-terminal battery that will fit into the battery mount of Corvettes from 69 thru 96.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Delco Battery Replacement

Quick Reply: A/C Delco Battery Replacement