[Bose radio-clock]The clock display stays On with Ign Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 02:11 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default [Bose radio-clock]The clock display stays On with Ign Off

I've been experiencing occasional dead battery since I got the '88 a month ago. Just tonight I noticed that the clock display stays On when Ign and all other lights are Off.

Is this normal or is it a bug in the Bose radio??
Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM
BSenzina
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 84. When I got it, the clock display turned off with the ignition. I have since replaced the BOSE because the antenna went up and down at will, .......and the sound quality was not very good comapred to the new systems... If you dont want to spend the money to get a new system.....which means new speakers too, because the volume level will BLAST YOU OUT of the car if you dont change the speakers.....something to do with the power.....I would suggest just getting a battery tender to hook up when its parked.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 AM
crzydrumer14
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clock should go off when you open your door i believe
Old 04-20-2012, 01:53 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

After reading in the FSM I see that the clock should go Off with the headlight switch. It does not so, as a temp "fix", I've pulled the CLK/CTSY fuse while she's parked.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Bad door sensor?

Are all the other interior lights going off correctly?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, courtesy lights go off ~20sec afer leaving and closing the door.
Dash lights & mirror lights work properly with switched ign.

I just checked my '88 IROC-Z (has same Bose radio as the Vette) and all radio displays are Off with ign.

I'm wondering if maybe I have a faulty headlight sw???
Old 04-21-2012, 01:06 AM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if the radio was put in properly. If someone put a bose back in, replacing an aftermarket stereo, it is possible that they didn't connect the wires properly.

Speaking from experience. My car had some POS stereo in it. I put a bose back in but since the wires were cut in the car I did have some trial and error getting it connected properly.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Voxego
Racer

Location: I considered atheism but there weren't enough holidays.
St. Jude Donor '09-'12

Just wondering if the clock being lit would drain the battery. It normally draws power, the only thing different is the LEDs...
Old 04-21-2012, 05:06 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

I see it must draw a bit to power the RAM that retains time & stations presets but don't think that would drain the battery over a short time.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:36 AM
rcle1220
Advanced

Default 1988 corvette clock display won't go off

Originally Posted by Voxego
Just wondering if the clock being lit would drain the battery. It normally draws power, the only thing different is the LEDs...
Yes, in time mine kills the battery. About ready to just eliminate the radio. It sounds crappy anyway.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:32 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

It's a 35th Anni with low mileage, perfect paint & interior so I want to keep all OEM.

I got sidetracked with coolant system problems on the '88 IROC-Z; finally I can get back to wringing out the radio display on the Vette...
Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Dans 85
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clock display should absolutely shut off with the key turned to off and door is opened. If the door switch is bad your windows will still be operative (easy check) after the ign key is shut off.

otherwise...

1. Pull the radio. If the wiring has been messed with it will be easy to spot and make the proper repair.

There are only two wires that power the radio. It would sound as these are reversed but who knows.

2. If you dont have one, spend a few bucks and get a simple test light.

Oarnge wire on two wire plug should be hot at all times (ctsy fuse)
Yellow wire on black plug is switched accessory (radio fuse)

Test these wires, if they check out then the radio is toast and needs repair or replacement.

That's all there is to it.

Regards,

Last edited by Dans 85; 07-01-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: error in reply about RAP
Old 07-01-2012, 05:53 AM
rcle1220
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dans 85
1. Pull the radio. If the wiring has been messed with it will be easy to spot and make the proper repair.

There are only two wires that power the radio. It would sound as these are reversed but who knows.

2. If you dont have one, spend a few bucks and get a simple test light.

Oarnge wire on two wire plug should be hot at all times (ctsy fuse)
Yellow wire on black plug is switched accessory (radio fuse)

Test these wires, if they check out then the radio is toast and needs repair or replacement. The clock should absolutely shut off with the key turned to off. There is no RAP power in the early C4's so the door switches have no bearing here.

That's all there is to it.

Regards,
Thanks very much. I'll give this a try.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Did you buy another car Jim? Still have the other one?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:18 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Hi Frank; how are you doing. Still have that damn time slip...

The prior 35th Anni was hit in Dec. and "totalled out" early this year for enough $$ to purchase this (relatively) low mileage one. Now my handle should really be 658Z01 but I'm keeping the original one...

Of course with the low price came a bucket of "fun" fixing all the little things. Current on the list is this pesky power leak issue. I have new inner & outer window sweeps ready to go in but this electrical issue is higher priority.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:54 PM
rcle1220
Advanced

Default clock stays on

Originally Posted by 65Z01
I've been experiencing occasional dead battery since I got the '88 a month ago. Just tonight I noticed that the clock display stays On when Ign and all other lights are Off.

I also bought an 88 last month with the exact same problem. It does drain the battery after a few days so I bought a Battery Tender to use until I figure this out.

Another thing I noticed is that I pulled the clock/courtesy light fuse to prevent battery drain but somehow it also kills the A/C and heater doing it. I'm totally a novice so I'm lost as to what to do.

I think I'm going to start by having a new radio installed and see what happens because it seems all the problems stem from the Bose Delco radio.

If anyone has some good advice on this I'd so much appreciate it before I spend a ton of money I can't afford.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by rcle1220
I also bought an 88 last month with the exact same problem. It does drain the battery after a few days so I bought a Battery Tender to use until I figure this out.

Another thing I noticed is that I pulled the clock/courtesy light fuse to prevent battery drain but somehow it also kills the A/C and heater doing it. I'm totally a novice so I'm lost as to what to do.

I think I'm going to start by having a new radio installed and see what happens because it seems all the problems stem from the Bose Delco radio.

If anyone has some good advice on this I'd so much appreciate it before I spend a ton of money I can't afford.
not likely the problem is just because there is a bose in the car. Someone screwed up the wiring to it

Get notified of new replies

To [Bose radio-clock]The clock display stays On with Ign Off

Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 AM
rcle1220
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
not likely the problem is just because there is a bose in the car. Someone screwed up the wiring to it
I'm going to take it to a stereo guy I've used for years and have him check it out. I'll re-post after he fixes it and tell you what he found. It'll be next week though because today it's going for some paint work.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 AM
rcle1220
Advanced

Default Bose radio/clock

I had the same problem. IMO it's a defective radio not worth fixing. I used a battery tender for a while but finally decided to pull the radio and replace it. I found a Bose Camaro Z28 radio with a CD player fits quite well and can be purchased on ebay for around $250. It was either that or go new after market and also change all the speakers which I didn't want to get into. Sounds good enough for me.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Juan Cobas
1st Gear

Default C4 Clock light stays on with Ignition Off

Originally Posted by 65Z01

I had the same problem with my 1996 Corvette with a Bose Radio. I had been doing a lot of work and had disconnected the battery and in fact installed a new battery. Turns out it was a Simple Fix. I removed the fuse that said RDO Btt and put in back in. The radio reset itself and the clock light goes off when I open the door.

Quick Reply: [Bose radio-clock]The clock display stays On with Ign Off