C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

c4 Double din

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:27 AM
king99
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c4 Double din

I just got a Pioneer p2300dvd double din stereo for my '95. What else do I need to hook it up?....inten adapters?, plug in's for this year car?, mounts?, etc?..would like sirus radio and mp3 but that's about all. Thanks!

Last edited by king99; 04-30-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 AM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by king99
I just got a Pioneer p2300dvd double din stereo for my '95. What else do I need to hook it up?....inten adapters?, plug in's for this year car?, mounts?, etc?..would like sirus radio and mp3 but that's about all. Thanks!
You need the Metra Chevrolet Corvette 1990-1996 Turbo Pocket Kit - Metra 993051 and the Bose adapter harness (Metra 70-1857 Tuner Relocation and Bose Integration Harness for Select GM Vehicles), both of which are available at Amazon.com or Crutchfield.com if you want to go with the existing Bose speakers. If you opt to go with aftermarket speakers or are lucky enough not to have a Bose system, you will not need the integration harness. You may also want to pick up two PAC SNI-1 Noise Isolators ($15 each shipped from Crutchfield) or something similar as aftermarket radios pick up some high pitched noise from the engine.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by king99
<snip>double din<snip>
Originally Posted by summerst
You need the Metra Chevrolet Corvette 1990-1996 Turbo Pocket Kit - Metra 993051<snip>
Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 AM
summerst
Racer

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3
Be as skeptical as you want. This is the kit for the double din radios. I know. I have installed two -- one in my 1990 and one in my 1991. FYI, you can use this kit for single and double din radios.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Might be a good idea to ask the question in the Audio and Electronics section of the forum. This has been asked before there and using the Search function will provide some good answers.

Or send a PM to C5 BearsFan (Dennis at DoubleD Mods) He's a CF supporting vendor and he will answer all your questions and possibly even have what you need in stock.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
summerst
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Might be a good idea to ask the question in the Audio and Electronics section of the forum. This has been asked before there and using the Search function will provide some good answers.

Or send a PM to C5 BearsFan (Dennis at DoubleD Mods) He's a CF supporting vendor and he will answer all your questions and possibly even have what you need in stock.
In my opinion there are better answers in this section of the forum if you have a C4. Dennis is more into C5s and I don't believe the mount he carries for the C4 will even handle a double din. You have made this recommendation before when I suggested the Metra Chevrolet Corvette 1990-1996 Turbo Pocket Kit - Metra 993051. Take a minute or so and look at the first comment on eBay about this mount. To save you time, I reposted it below:

"A quality kit made precisely for C4's with the newer interior March 21, 2012
By Patches N. Stitches
I used this in my 1994 Corvette along with the Metra Bose relocation harness, and everything was a perfect fit. You have to remove the middle air vents, shifter console cover and radio/climate control bezel to get access. Once you remove the original radio, you have to use a saw or a Dremel to cut out the plastic backing behind the radio. Otherwise, your new radio will not fit because the stock radio (really just a button panel) is much shallower than most replacements. You've got three options with this kit: you can either use a single DIN-sized radio with a storage pocket underneath, a double-DIN radio that fills the space properly, or two single-DIN units (which is what I did because I had them on hand). This kit is really nice because the sides of the radios screw into it, making it a bit harder for someone to rip them out (especially once the car's trim is all put back together). While I was waiting for this to arrive, I actually got a Scosche kit from Walmart to see if I could modify it to fit, but these Corvettes have the screw mounts in peculiar locations... a couple of them are tilted at an angle, and the ones on the right sit out further than the ones on the left. You really need something like this Metra piece. It's really a good mounting solution and I'm glad I decided to take a chance on it. I know it'll last for years and several radio swaps."
Old 04-30-2012, 05:28 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by summerst
Be as skeptical as you want. This is the kit for the double din radios. I know. I have installed two -- one in my 1990 and one in my 1991. FYI, you can use this kit for single and double din radios.
I humbly bow to your wisdom.

I just don't see where the pocket would fit.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 PM
summerst
Racer

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3
I humbly bow to your wisdom.

I just don't see where the pocket would fit.
You use the provided pocket only when installing a single din radio. You toss it for double din. The only parts you keep if you are doing a double din are the two side brackets.
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (12-26-2017)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 PM
soldierboy609
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed a double din JVC in my 94 using the existing Bose speaker/amps. I bought the JVC stereo, install kit and harness from Crutchfield, They where extremely helpful and know exactly what you need for your application and stand behind there products (I called several times for install advice).
The only thing I needed from the install kit was the brackets that mount the stereo to the frame of the car. I am completely happy with the outcome.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 AM
summerst
Racer

Originally Posted by soldierboy609
I just installed a double din JVC in my 94 using the existing Bose speaker/amps. I bought the JVC stereo, install kit and harness from Crutchfield, They where extremely helpful and know exactly what you need for your application and stand behind there products (I called several times for install advice).
The only thing I needed from the install kit was the brackets that mount the stereo to the frame of the car. I am completely happy with the outcome.
You did not mention the make and part numbers of the install kit and harness which I am sure are the ones I listed earlier (Metra Chevrolet Corvette 1990-1996 Turbo Pocket Kit - Metra 993051 and the Bose adapter harness (Metra 70-1857 Tuner Relocation and Bose Integration Harness for Select GM Vehicles). I too have a JVC radio (mine is the KWXR-810 which Crutchfield claims is discontinued but can be had from Amazon and Best Buy. I like this radio as it has two USB ports (one in front and one in back) and comes with a bluetooth adapter for the rear USB. I bought it for less, but its still a bargain at $175 from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KW-XR810-W...5867880&sr=8-1). Read the reviews while you are there.
If you have a Best Buy close by, you can get them to install it (you will have to supply the install kit and Bose harness). Installation is relatively inexpensive (around $125) when you buy the unit from them which they have back in stock for $178 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+50...&skuId=9784001). As an added bonus you can adjust the backlight color to match the dash lights which makes it look "factory" at night.
Here is what it looks like installed:

Last edited by summerst; 05-01-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 AM
johndezman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question anyone do this on a 6 spd car?

In the last picture, it appears the front of the new radio projects a but from the front face of the dash. I have a 6 speed and wonder if there is knuckle clearance to the radio face when shifting?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:02 PM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice would be to rip out all that Bose junk, and replace the whole system, Ive just done it on my 94, alpine HU and speakers, and a quality Kenwood amp, its really not that hard and you get the system you really want and dont have to rely on twenty plus years old speakers that will likely fail in the not to distant future..
Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My advice would be to rip out all that Bose junk, and replace the whole system, Ive just done it on my 94, alpine HU and speakers, and a quality Kenwood amp, its really not that hard and you get the system you really want and dont have to rely on twenty plus years old speakers that will likely fail in the not to distant future..
I did it!

In the last picture, it appears the front of the new radio projects a but from the front face of the dash. I have a 6 speed and wonder if there is knuckle clearance to the radio face when shifting?
I don't think they stick out anymore than the original stereo, it's just a an optical illusion!
Old 09-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Geardo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just what I was looking for
Old 09-17-2014, 06:06 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, I love my stereo!

Get notified of new replies

To c4 Double din