trying to help a buddy, out tranny issue, 1st gear grinding

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 PM
vettelover30
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to help a buddy, out tranny issue, 1st gear grinding

I got a buddy, that has a 96, as well.

Hes taken good care of the car, but recently has developed an issue with 1 st gear.

Seems most of the time, not all, but say 90 percent of the time, the car grinds while going into 1 st gear, once in first gear it stop, and it doesnt happen in any other gear.

The clutch is probably towards the end of its life, could it be just the clutch, though i would think that would show up in other gears, maybe with the way 1st gear is used to take off, its just showing up there.

Any ideas on potential suggestions? Maybe a game plan to give to my buddy starting with the least expensive,before he pays to have someone open up the tranny?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by vettelover30
the car grinds while going into 1 st gear,
though i would think that would show up in other gears, ?
Worn clutch or clutch hydraulics always show up in 1st and reverse more than other gears.
In worst case, have to turn the engine off to get trans into 1st , then start engine with clutch depressed
Old 05-07-2012, 12:42 AM
vettelover30
Intermediate

It is tough to get in reverse sometimes as well, though no grinding.

IS there anyway to discern whether its the clutch or the 1st gear syncro?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Bad 1st gear synchro. For some reason fairly common with the ZF6.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 AM
vettelover30
Intermediate

I have heard wild prices just to replace the synchro, is there anyway to save money on it, by going to a local shop vs dealer?

If its going tobe 2k or something, why would anyone replace the synchro, you can get solid whole new zf trannys via vendors on the internet for 1600 or so.

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Bad 1st gear synchro. For some reason fairly common with the ZF6.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

It sounds like a classic hydraulic clutch issue. I would suggest he visit ZFdoc.com to see a write-up on testing and servicing the clutch. If it is the clutch, he'll want to get that fixed or he WILL have some sychro issues too (if not already).

IF there is air, or water contamination, or the fluid is dark/black, and or there are pieces of black flakes floating around in the fluid, the hydraulics my just need servicing. Bleeding and refilling the system may be all that is necessary. However, if that doesn't fix it then parts are going to be needed; the master and/or the slave.

For clutch parts, this site has been recommended - especially having to do with the hydraulic parts.

And, yes...The syncros parts are very pricy, and then there's the labor factor. Bill Boudreau (ZFdoc.com) may be able to round up a new ZF for about or less than what it might cost in parts and labor to fix yours. Or, Bill might have what you need in stock, and you wouldn't have to buy the entire syncro set (the usual "deal"). Talk to Bill.

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-07-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 PM
vettelover30
Intermediate

Stupid us, we filled up the clutch fluid it was low. now the clutch feels like it has more life to it, reverse works fine, first still grinds on anything over 15 mph or so on downshifts.

Do you think its wortth it to flush the whole system, since we saw improvement just by bringing clutch fluid up to proper levels, never though it could be that simple.

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
It sounds like a classic hydraulic clutch issue. I would suggest he visit ZFdoc.com to see a write-up on testing and servicing the clutch. If it is the clutch, he'll want to get that fixed or he WILL have some sychro issues too (if not already).

IF there is air, or water contamination, or the fluid is dark/black, and or there are pieces of black flakes floating around in the fluid, the hydraulics my just need servicing. Bleeding and refilling the system may be all that is necessary. However, if that doesn't fix it then parts are going to be needed; the master and/or the slave.

For clutch parts, this site has been recommended - especially having to do with the hydraulic parts.

And, yes...The syncros parts are very pricy, and then there's the labor factor. Bill Boudreau (ZFdoc.com) may be able to round up a new ZF for about or less than what it might cost in parts and labor to fix yours. Or, Bill might have what you need in stock, and you wouldn't have to buy the entire syncro set (the usual "deal"). Talk to Bill.

P.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vettelover30
Stupid us, we filled up the clutch fluid it was low. now the clutch feels like it has more life to it, reverse works fine, first still grinds on anything over 15 mph or so on downshifts.

Do you think its worth it to flush the whole system, since we saw improvement just by bringing clutch fluid up to proper levels, never though it could be that simple.

If you noticed a significant change in the operation of the clutch pedal then you may have gotten a little air into the system. You may try to bleed it to see. Had the same happen to me in a car (not the vette) I had.

Get notified of new replies

To trying to help a buddy, out tranny issue, 1st gear grinding

Quick Reply: trying to help a buddy, out tranny issue, 1st gear grinding