C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'92 won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM
darKness2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 won't start...

After replacing a fuel filter on my car yesterday I took it for a spin around the block and everything seemed fine. A few hours later I got in and tried to start it and nothing happened. The lights are on and the digital display lights up and the fans come on but I get no start and no crank. I ran for error codes and it flashed a code 16, meaning optispark. I can hear a clicking noise coming from the passenger side dash. Side note: I had to replace my water pump a few months ago and the optispark may have gotten a little wet but I spotted the problem pretty quick and got the pump out of there fast and after that I had no symptoms of a failing optispark. It seems likely that somehow the busted water pump must have dumped a little onto the opti, but I just don't understand why this happened so suddenly months later and with no warning.

So basically with a code 16 can I just pretty much assume i need to replace the optispark and not have to worry about anything else? Should I be checking anything else just to make sure?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are a lot of steps you can go through before ripping into an opti. You need the service manual or you just end up guessing. I have a 92 and had the same prob. I replace the opti, wires and plugs..no start..replace the Icm..bingo..so I think in my case I could have just gotten away with replacing the icm but it runs better now with everything replaced..the icm takes minutes to replace..the opti..hardest job I have ever done..and I've done everything you can do on a car..it's just so damn tight to work on..so...get the manual, do a little troubleshooting..then proceed..all the help you need..is here...
Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Have you tried it again? VATS maybe?

Get notified of new replies

To '92 won't start...

Quick Reply: '92 won't start...