C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 World Class Sports Car'

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 PM
#70SM2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 World Class Sports Car'

I wanted to write this after 20 yrs. driving, racing a C4. For you new to Corvette. C4 Corvette is very special. It is not your everyday driver. It rocks & rolls, creaks & moans. But goes like heck' .. It is also very tailhappy .. it is light in rear. So will swap ends. Like spin-out. I have done perfect doughnuts with mine. Otherwise this is a great forum to learn from experience. Best_#70
Old 10-05-2012, 11:36 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

What's written above seems too short and even blantantly "omissive" for 20yrs sitting in one of these cars.

Couple things didnt' even make sense...
So will swap ends?
Like spin out?

Like cool, man, cool!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:11 AM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

C4 ars an absolute blast to drive! Even the 84s are fun.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Couple things didnt' even make sense...
So will swap ends?
I kinda' like my ends where they are now, Gregg...bet you do too.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Man who burns rubber.... must have hot rod!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:45 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Yes everyone who owns a C4 will agree they are tail happy, quite lethal actually they can catch out even experienced drivers.
Maybe the C4's were made like this for
''hey wake up you are driving a C4 not a Toyota, treat the accelerator with caution''
Old 10-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Not too many true sports cars without traction control "won't" get away from you. Gotta know how to drive the car.

C4 is still a lot of car for the money, even today.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:02 AM
silverja
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Default A Nearly Unbeatable C4 Auto Crosser

Originally Posted by #70SM2
I wanted to write this after 20 yrs. driving, racing a C4.
I would be very interested on hearing more about your C4 racing experiences. Many mistakenly think C4's are not a good choice for racing. But they highly competitive in autocross venues and dominated racing in the 1980's in the stock class. So dominant that they had to have their own class which I believe was referred to as the "Corvette Challenge" series. Here is a great article on a 1986 C4 autocross legend:

1986 Chevy Corvette C4 - Yellow Beats All

Best of luck.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:37 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Yes everyone who owns a C4 will agree they are tail happy, quite lethal actually they can catch out even experienced drivers.
Maybe the C4's were made like this for
''hey wake up you are driving a C4 not a Toyota, treat the accelerator with caution''
Try driving it in the snow once or twice, and you will go from inexperienced to master in a very,very short time.

I've ridden in C3's many moons ago. Driven C5's, but that's when I sold Chevy's. Yet to have driven a C6...

But driving the last edition of the C4 is indeed a truly unique experience. First, just sitting in the thing. I can only imagine it could be compared to sitting in a jet fighter. This, folks is a car that you wear, not simply sit in. With the low floorboards, and high bolster seats combined with the narrow foot foot pedal area, this car becomes a part of you. This is not only good, but neccessary. When engaged in spirited, high performance driving, you can sense and feel everything that's happening from the engine compartment to the rear wheels, almost as if it were a part of your own anatomy, and this is the very essence of what driving a true sports car should feel like.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree that the C4 is tail happy IF you don't set up the car properly and/or don't use enough throttle control.

I auto-x a bunch, run with a FULL tank, I need to put my spare tire/jack back on, it helps too. Weight in the back keeps the car more balanced.
Add rear camber-helps plant power on corner exit. Keeping the rear toe in check helps too, if it is toe'ed out too much you get more oversteer.

Frankly, a well setup C4 should have very controllable understeer from what I'm told by those with a LOT more experience than me.

My car is very neutral in slalom, understeers too much on corner entry, as long as I use throttle control, no issues with oversteer on exit. The understeer is getting fixed with Z07 springs and bars.

C4's are NOT tail happy compared to a C5. C4's you can feel start to oversteer, they talk to you a lot more than a C5. C5's will SNAP oversteer like you don't believe. A LOT of people have told me this, not just me talking. The Z06's are not as bad, base C5's however are bad for this in hard driving situations.

Any RWD car with ANY kind of torque is fun in wet/snow. Two words=THROTTLE CONTROL. Don't stab/jab at it. SMOOTH.

@lt4obsesses, . These cars are very intimate with you. They drive smaller at speed than how big they actually are. Short wheelbase is the reason for this, and good outward vision.

@#70SM2, I'm guessing your C4 is not stock considering Street Modified? Right? Tail happy=POWER Oversteer is different from tail happy=oversteer. C4's are not tail happy without throttle.

Last edited by 93Rubie; 10-06-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:37 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

It is also very tailhappy .. it is light in rear. So will swap ends. Like spin-out. Best_#70
50% of the weight is in the rear. Never heard it called, light in the rear before. They actually make good drag cars because of it.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 AM
#70SM2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
I agree that the C4 is tail happy IF you don't set up the car properly and/or don't use enough throttle control.

I auto-x a bunch, run with a FULL tank, I need to put my spare tire/jack back on, it helps too. Weight in the back keeps the car more balanced.
Add rear camber-helps plant power on corner exit. Keeping the rear toe in check helps too, if it is toe'ed out too much you get more oversteer.

Frankly, a well setup C4 should have very controllable understeer from what I'm told by those with a LOT more experience than me.

My car is very neutral in slalom, understeers too much on corner entry, as long as I use throttle control, no issues with oversteer on exit. The understeer is getting fixed with Z07 springs and bars.

C4's are NOT tail happy compared to a C5. C4's you can feel start to oversteer, they talk to you a lot more than a C5. C5's will SNAP oversteer like you don't believe. A LOT of people have told me this, not just me talking. The Z06's are not as bad, base C5's however are bad for this in hard driving situations.

Any RWD car with ANY kind of torque is fun in wet/snow. Two words=THROTTLE CONTROL. Don't stab/jab at it. SMOOTH.

@lt4obsesses, . These cars are very intimate with you. They drive smaller at speed than how big they actually are. Short wheelbase is the reason for this, and good outward vision.

@#70SM2, I'm guessing your C4 is not stock considering Street Modified? Right? Tail happy=POWER Oversteer is different from tail happy=oversteer. C4's are not tail happy without throttle.
You are quite right. I have 3 times Hp. VS. Stock .. I spin 335x17 Kumho on freeway. So much fun!! Wife will not ride with me.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

You are quite right. I have 3 times Hp. VS. Stock .. I spin 335x17 Kumho on freeway. So much fun!! Wife will not ride with me.
I bet that thing is a blast to drive, rockets from corner to corner.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 World Class Sports Car'

Quick Reply: C4 World Class Sports Car'