C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

convertible top window replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 AM
DrewCfromSC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertible top window replace?

Hello, ive got a new to me 1991 convertible with a dirty back window. Well tried to clean or polish with plexus cleaner it its still smeary looking. Ordered a ragg top plastic window cleaner restorer kit for this but has not arrived yet. Is it possible to have a glass window installed without buying a new roof?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Drew
Old 07-31-2012, 06:40 AM
Pres712
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I needed a new top so replaced the entire top from Eckler's. The problem is the top you now have when folded into the bin, the plastic window folds in half. When you have a glass window it can't fold in half therefore you need a kit to make it fold as one piece. I would say it can't be done without replacing the entire top. Why not call around to top shops, Eckler's, etc., to get a professional opinion?

I replaced mine back in '99 along with the weatherstriping for $1,200. I have no idea what it would cost today.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 PM
DrewCfromSC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pres712
I needed a new top so replaced the entire top from Eckler's. The problem is the top you now have when folded into the bin, the plastic window folds in half. When you have a glass window it can't fold in half therefore you need a kit to make it fold as one piece. I would say it can't be done without replacing the entire top. Why not call around to top shops, Eckler's, etc., to get a professional opinion?

I replaced mine back in '99 along with the weatherstriping for $1,200. I have no idea what it would cost today.

Thanks for the tip! will look into that as well as a local upholstry shop.
Drew
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had the same problem and replaced my top with glass window, and bought the conversion kit. I can tell you will loose lot of space when the top in down.
I also suggest call your local Chevy dealer, and ask who they send there cars to for there warranty work. The top shop are familiar with all problems we have with convertible tops. Then go pick there brains, for the correct answers to all your questions. Lets face it, there still in business cause Chevy doesn't do any of there tops or interior work.

Last edited by 1bdvet; 08-01-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To convertible top window replace?

Quick Reply: convertible top window replace?