Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 General Discussion
General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
nathanours
CF Senior Member

Default Cigarette lighter not working?

Hey everyone, I just noticed that my cigarette lighter does not work. I never use the actual lighter, but the port won't charge my phone or other plug-ins. Could this be a fuse issue?

Thanks,

Nathan
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
AirForceOne!
CF Senior Member

I would try that first.
AirForceOne! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
nathanours
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceOne! View Post
I would try that first.
Where would the fuse be? Which one is it?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
AirForceOne!
CF Senior Member

The fuse pannel on my 90 is on the passenger side end of the dashboard. I assume your's is there too? Have no idea which one, never looked!

That will be $300 for diagonistic work!
AirForceOne! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
nathanours
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceOne! View Post
The fuse pannel on my 90 is on the passenger side end of the dashboard. I assume your's is there too? Have no idea which one, never looked!

That will be $300 for diagonistic work!
Ya thanks, that's right. I remember seeing that fuse area. I can just look through all of them and see if any are broken in the middle correct?

Found it! Thanks very much for your help. The fuse is on the bottom row, and the second from the right. Mine is blown. Hopefully that will fix my problem!

Last edited by nathanours; 08-07-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
pacat
CF Senior Member

Default "Cigar Lighter"

Blown Fuse, I’m glad that was all it was for you and I hope you found the correct fuse faster then it took me when my cigarette lighter stopped working. I must have spent 5 minutes studying the back of the fuse panel for the word “Cigarette lighter” to see which fuse to test. I scanned it back and forth numerous times while overlooking the word “Cigar Lighter” Same thing on my F150 it is labeled “Cigar Lighter”
pacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
nathanours
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacat View Post
Blown Fuse, I’m glad that was all it was for you and I hope you found the correct fuse faster then it took me when my cigarette lighter stopped working. I must have spent 5 minutes studying the back of the fuse panel for the word “Cigarette lighter” to see which fuse to test. I scanned it back and forth numerous times while overlooking the word “Cigar Lighter” Same thing on my F150 it is labeled “Cigar Lighter”
Ya it only took a few seconds. The diagram on the back of mine just says Cigar. Any idea what could have made the fuse blow in the first place?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
pacat
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
Ya it only took a few seconds. The diagram on the back of mine just says Cigar. Any idea what could have made the fuse blow in the first place?
With the location of the “Cigar Lighter” it is real easy to have something fall into the opening when the actual lighter is out of the socket. I have a habit of throwing loose change from a fast-food drive thru in the cup holder next to the lighter. A coin will drop into the socket causing a short and blowing the fuse.
pacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Old Ben
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacat View Post
With the location of the “Cigar Lighter” it is real easy to have something fall into the opening when the actual lighter is out of the socket. I have a habit of throwing loose change from a fast-food drive thru in the cup holder next to the lighter. A coin will drop into the socket causing a short and blowing the fuse.
Also, someone may have plugged in something that drew too much current.
Old Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
Rockhigher

Default Cigarette lighter not working, 84 C-4

Ok, similiar question about the cigarette lighter not working on my 84 C4. In addition, Goldfinger has no radio, courtesy lights or power locks. I believe it to be a fuse ( seems it happened a year ago ) but I went in fusebox ( in side of dash in front of passenger seat ) found the fuse marked "RAD" ( I assume that is for radio) and it is not blown, replaced it anyway and no change. Is there something else I should be checking...?
Rockhigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
dayle97se
CF Senior Member

In case it wasn't the fuse - I had the same problem when I picked up my 96. My cig fuse was fine. ended up being just the cigarette lighter port itself (mine was corroded inside). Picked up a new GM one from Corvettes Unlimited here on LI. Can be purchased from most online vette places (ecklers, CC, etc).
dayle97se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #12
Cliff Harris
CF Senior Member

The cigarette lighter on my '86 is powered by the CTSY/CLK fuse. It uses that one because it's got 12 volts when the ignition is turned off.
Cliff Harris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Rockhigher

Hmmmmm I will check the ctsy/clk fuse ( if there is one ) but my book says its on same circuit as radio (RAD ) is it possible that wire somewhere ( lighter ***'y?) could come lose and shut down the circuit without blowing the fuse ? I really don't look forward to pulling my console apart to track down a potential loose wire in lighter ***'y.....
Rockhigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
dvoeltz
CF Member

I just went through this last night. Ended up being a corroded end inside the socket of my lighter. I took a piece of emery cloth, cleaned the end and it works great. It was obvious the one of the previous owners was a smoker and used the lighter for its intended purpose. Of course the cigarette burns on the rug also gave me a clue that the Vette had been smoked in before.

Dave in Pierre, SD (who is taking the 94 Vette on her first long trip this weekend)
dvoeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 General Discussion
Reload this Page Cigarette lighter not working?