MOBIL 1 or conventional?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Corvette503
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

Default MOBIL 1 or conventional?

Ok guys,
I have been using Mobil 1 on my daily drivers for some time now and have been very happy with the product. Question is, should I switch over to Mobil 1 on my "89" Corvette?
It has 80,000 very well maintained miles, and the previous owner always used conventional.
The car is only being driven 500-700 miles per year. Is Mobil 1 overkill for the amount of miles the car is driven? Also, I have heard that switching to synthetic at this point in the cars life can cause leaks. I contacted Mobil, and they say that is false, and if anything Mobil 1 can help extend the life of engine seals.
I figure, I would only be changing the oil once a year on the car as I do now. If Mobil 1 will benefit the engine in the long run, I don't mind spending the extra $$ for synthetic. As you know, C4's can run pretty hot at times, so I figure a little extra protection can't hurt.
Just looking for some feedback,
Thank you!

Last edited by Corvette503; 08-11-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

switching over to a synthetic oil over conventional should not cause leaks. i don't think it would hurt to switch to Mobil 1, even with the little amount of miles driven per year. it will offer great protection, even after prolonged use. conventional oil will work well for you, even at the low amount of miles being driven. if it offers you more piece of mind to use the Mobil 1 then i say go for it. sure can't hurt.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

while i agree, that mobil 1 won't hurt, i feel that, for the miles driven, it's over kill. i stick with quality dino stuff, OR, split the difference, and use a quality blend.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Leftoverture
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless those miles are on the racetrack, conventional should work just fine for your situation. With that said, I run synthetic in my 89. But I drive a lot more. And maybe you should, too!
Old 08-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

I am a firm believer that Mobil 1 will contribute to leaks.
I used it in my 85 since new. By the time it got to 80,000 miles a few years ago, I had the cardboard under the car catching the drips. Nothing real bad, but very irritating.
It was suggested to me that if I switched to regular 5-30 oil (as recommended in the manual) the leaks would slow and possibly stop. So I did it.
Lets just say I no longer need cardboard under my car
Old 08-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I recently read somewhere the move by GM/Corvette (in 92) to recommending a fully synthetic is because its characteristis allowed Corvette to discontinue using an oil cooler (coincidently at the same time the LT1 came out).

As far as the Mobil 1 recommendation goes, as opposed to some other brand of synthetic, you just have to know there was a sizable chunk of $$$ involved flowing GMs way from the Mobil corp. Other synthetics meet or exceed the GM spec (and specs/performance of Mobil 1 itself too, I suppose), but it was a brilliant marketing strategy by Mobil to buy that spot under the hood that says to use Mobil 1!

I don't think there is much debate about the features of synthetic oil over dyno oil. However, whether its advantages are appreciated by any one motor would depend entirely on how that motor is operated. I'd worry more about ZDDP requirements for flat tappet cams vs. roller requirements. That said, nuttin but the best for my baby!

P.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:38 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I am a firm believer that Mobil 1 will contribute to leaks.
I used it in my 85 since new. By the time it got to 80,000 miles a few years ago, I had the cardboard under the car catching the drips. Nothing real bad, but very irritating.
It was suggested to me that if I switched to regular 5-30 oil (as recommended in the manual) the leaks would slow and possibly stop. So I did it.
Lets just say I no longer need cardboard under my car
I have to agree with you... I know some will chime in and say changing from dino to synthetic won't cause leaks, but I have seen it to many times in my life to dismiss it as a wives tale...It may be dependent on the car, gaskets used, or some other difference, but it does cause leaks in some cars....Trust me..WW

Last edited by WW7; 08-11-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Corvette503
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

I appreciate all of the feedback! That’s the thing, as much as I love Mobil 1, I don't know if it's worth risking gasket leaks. As of now, my car is absolutely bone dry. As I mentioned, I only put about 500-700 miles on her a year. I guess living in the North East doesn’t enable me to drive it all that much. Strictly car shows and a late Spring, Summer, Fall weekend cruiser.

Last edited by Corvette503; 08-11-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:55 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
I have to agree with you... I know some will chime in and say changing from dino to synthetic won't cause leaks, but I have seen it to many times in my life to dismiss it as a wives tale...It may be dependent on the car, gaskets used, or some other difference, but it does cause leaks in some cars....Trust me..WW
I agree with WW7.My 95 was using reg oil by po.I changed it a few months later.I used mobil 1.after a few months I noticed on my garage floor oil.I took it to my vette mechanic and he said most of the seals were leaking.He wiped it off and after a week of driving he showed me.He replaced all of the seals.and all is good.My opinion is that mobil 1 caused it.coincidence ? I doubt it
Old 08-11-2012, 05:55 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I recently read somewhere the move by GM/Corvette (in 92) to recommending a fully synthetic is because its characteristis allowed Corvette to discontinue using an oil cooler (coincidently at the same time the LT1 came out).

As far as the Mobil 1 recommendation goes, as opposed to some other brand of synthetic, you just have to know there was a sizable chunk of $$$ involved flowing GMs way from the Mobil corp. Other synthetics meet or exceed the GM spec (and specs/performance of Mobil 1 itself too, I suppose), but it was a brilliant marketing strategy by Mobil to buy that spot under the hood that says to use Mobil 1!

I don't think there is much debate about the features of synthetic oil over dyno oil. However, whether its advantages are appreciated by any one motor would depend entirely on how that motor is operated. I'd worry more about ZDDP requirements for flat tappet cams vs. roller requirements. That said, nuttin but the best for my baby!

P.
Paul- As far as I know, when the '92 came out, Mobil 1 was the only fully synthetic oil available. As a Castrol fan, I have always used their synthetic in my '92.

To the OP- my vote is to use a good grade of conventional oil. I don't see an advantage in this case for the synthetic, and with so few miles driven, the more important issue is to change the oil on a conservative schedule (as you do) to get rid of condensation. Just my two cents.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Docderek05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enventr
I agree with WW7.My 95 was using reg oil by po.I changed it a few months later.I used mobil 1.after a few months I noticed on my garage floor oil.I took it to my vette mechanic and he said most of the seals were leaking.He wiped it off and after a week of driving he showed me.He replaced all of the seals.and all is good.My opinion is that mobil 1 caused it.coincidence ? I doubt it
I have a high mileage 86, that always used conventional via prior owners, so I have continued to use Dino Oil, and my garage floor is bone dry, My 1994 lt1 using Mobil 1 from the factory and when i change it, I always have dime size leaks under the car.
I have been told, with no backing evidence, that if you swap conventional to synthetic, the synthetic can wash out "dirt seals" that are in place from the original Dino oil, and cause leaks. I have heard this from many sources, and I cannot say if this is a true statement, I just know, that under my 86, still using conventional oil, it's bone dry. not even a sweat of oil on any surface. I would hate to change to a synthetic and have that change. so I will stay the course with Dino Oil in the 86. Just my own opinion, observation. Best, Derek
Old 08-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Docderek05
I have a high mileage 86, that always used conventional via prior owners, so I have continued to use Dino Oil, and my garage floor is bone dry, My 1994 lt1 using Mobil 1 from the factory and when i change it, I always have dime size leaks under the car.
I have been told, with no backing evidence, that if you swap conventional to synthetic, the synthetic can wash out "dirt seals" that are in place from the original Dino oil, and cause leaks. I have heard this from many sources, and I cannot say if this is a true statement, I just know, that under my 86, still using conventional oil, it's bone dry. not even a sweat of oil on any surface. I would hate to change to a synthetic and have that change. so I will stay the course with Dino Oil in the 86. Just my own opinion, observation. Best, Derek
I recently read where some years ago, synthetic suppliers have introduced some additives designed to enhance seals ability to work. So, I took from that some characteristic of synthetic oil may have been an issue at one time, but by now no longer be the case? I dunno... My ZR-1 does not leak a drop with almost 12 quarts of synthetic in it, yet my wife's recently rebuilt SBC drips with dyno oil in it. Go figure

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 08-12-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: tpyo...
Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

On this subject I think 50% of people will swear it causes leaks and 50% will say it doesn't. One thing not disputed is that it is a better lubricant. Is it overkill? I don't believe spending the extra $30 per year for a superior oil on your pride and joy is overkill.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cool95vette
On this subject I think 50% of people will swear it causes leaks and 50% will say it doesn't. One thing not disputed is that it is a better lubricant. Is it overkill? I don't believe spending the extra $30 per year for a superior oil on your pride and joy is overkill.
Heck of a coincidence then that my leak stopped when I stopped using the superior oil
Old 08-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

Heck of a coincidence then that my leak stopped when I stopped using the superior oil
I wasn't really addressing the leaking issue. I don't know the answer to that. I personally haven't had issues with any of my engines leaking from it but I'm sure it's possible. I was just suggesting that spending $30 per year on your car really isn't "overkill".
Old 08-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cool95vette
I wasn't really addressing the leaking issue. I don't know the answer to that. I personally haven't had issues with any of my engines leaking from it but I'm sure it's possible. I was just suggesting that spending $30 per year on your car really isn't "overkill".
I agree and I thought the same. But after my car was obviously leaking because of using the stuff, wish I didn't bother.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Swtiching to Synthetic oil does not cause leaks. Chances are the leaks were already present but clogged with the gunk build up of conventional oils. By switching to a synthetic it cleans up those areas and makes the leak that was already there more obvious.

In my oppinion switching to a synthetic will help in your case. Synthetics offer better protection, even when stored mostly. If you are serious about considering the switch I would look into the oils offered by AMSOIL. Great protection, and a number of oils for different driving types.

http://kahunamotorsports.com/motor-oils.html

Get notified of new replies

To MOBIL 1 or conventional?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,797 Likes on 666 Posts

Default What about switching from syn oil TO dino??

I have one of the rare LT1's, 94 with 45K that leaks no oil...at all (knock on wood). I don't race my car or autocross it, as most of us do I go for nice cruises with just a "hint" of spirited driving once in a great while Would switching to dino oil really hurt anything? If it's changed every 3K miles or so? I've heard many cases of the LT1 developing an oil leak...would dino oil actually help prevent that from happening?

astepup said that
Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM
2rgeir
Instructor

I agree and I thought the same. But after my car was obviously leaking because of using the stuff, wish I didn't bother.
Do you really seriously truly believe that Mobil1 is causing leaks on your engine???
I am in no way a mechanic, but I was sure it was common knowledge that engines with old, brittle gaskets which have been run on mineral oil, are likely to develop leaks if you change to fully synthetic oil......
Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 PM
2rgeir
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kubs
Swtiching to Synthetic oil does not cause leaks. Chances are the leaks were already present but clogged with the gunk build up of conventional oils. By switching to a synthetic it cleans up those areas and makes the leak that was already there more obvious.

In my oppinion switching to a synthetic will help in your case. Synthetics offer better protection, even when stored mostly. If you are serious about considering the switch I would look into the oils offered by AMSOIL. Great protection, and a number of oils for different driving types.

http://kahunamotorsports.com/motor-oils.html

So changing to synthetic might "cause" leaks, but it will really just be a way of letting you know that the gaskets are ready to be changed out anyway.

Quick Reply: MOBIL 1 or conventional?