C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Driving in cold/rainy weather

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Fick
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Driving in cold/rainy weather

I just bought a C6 and was going to sell the LT4, but I'm having second thoughts. I could use the 96 for my daily 80 mile commute and sell the Miata instead. My concern is the winter weather when I occasionally have to drive in rainy/near freezing temps. All the tires that fit my car say not for use in near freezing temps. I now have GS-D3's on the car. Anyone have input on how dangerous driving in 36-40 degree temps may be? I don't want white knuckle commutes during the winter.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:03 AM
CE1
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't say how the Vette is in the cold but, our 2010 Camaro SS has Pirelli P Zero's and they are like driving on hockey pucks when it gets much below 45 degrees. But our answer is snow tires and it's great. Hope this might help.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Never heard anything about problems with low temperatures. C4's use fairly common size tires. I've never noticed any difference other than a harsher ride, and then only below freezing. I would be more worried about road conditions.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:09 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

I had GS-D3's on my '92 and drove it in the cold with no problems. I even drove it in a couple inches of snow once, although it didn't do very well. It got me home but I wouldn't recommend driving in snow and ice. Moisture + below freezing temperatures is what you really need to avoid.

If you tried to drive the car like you were on a track in near freezing temperatures you'd probably notice a big difference but if you drive conservatively and you're careful you shouldn't have any problems. When you wear out the GS-D3's you can always replace them with all season tires.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Fick
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
I had GS-D3's on my '92 and drove it in the cold with no problems. I even drove it in a couple inches of snow once, although it didn't do very well. It got me home but I wouldn't recommend driving in snow and ice. Moisture + below freezing temperatures is what you really need to avoid.

If you tried to drive the car like you were on a track in near freezing temperatures you'd probably notice a big difference but if you drive conservatively and you're careful you shouldn't have any problems. When you wear out the GS-D3's you can always replace them with all season tires.
Thanks, the rear wheels are 11" and I don't think there are any all season tires available in 315 size.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:50 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Keep all three cars and drive the miata in the really crapy weather! Afterall how bad can the weather really get in Southern California?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

While you may have to swap the 11" rear wheels for a pair of 9.5" you can run Conti Extreme DWS in the rain at the temps that your talking about with no problems what-so-ever. I've always run 4 275x40x17 winter tires on my stock wheels and used the 95 as a year-round dd for my 50 mile commute. The tires are made to run and grip well in the cold and wet.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving in cold/rainy weather

Quick Reply: Driving in cold/rainy weather