C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Fixed my Climate Control Module today, with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 PM
John.87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed my Climate Control Module today, with PICS

Last month I took the Climate Control Module apart and cleaned up the contacts between the two circuit boards, and added a thin layer of solder to each strip, re-assembled, and reinstalled. This held up for a few weeks, until the flashing display and non-responsive button issue came back. A firm palm strike on the passenger side of the unit would solve the problem, however the Blue temp button stopped working all together. This is how I fixed the issue.

First I took the unit apart and then disassembled the display box. I had to cut several plastic "melted dots" I guess you could call them with a razor blade.

The rubber button had slid off of where in should be located on the circuit board.

So I applied two very small dabs of Sensor Safe Blue RTV under the top corners of the rubber button. All the holes are where the melted dots poked through and melted over to hold the faceplate together.

Then I cut the head off a zip tie, and combined with a dab of JB Weld, I filled in the gap in the back of the plastic button.(I have no idea why I took a picture with tape over it, so use your imagination, look at the hot button next to it and imagine a zip tie head in there.) I did this to make a larger surface to contact the rubber button.

Then I just reassembled the face plate and wrapped it very tightly with black electric tape(no picture of this, again, imagine)

Then, before I put the unit back together, i taped a 1/4 inch think piece of foam and taped it in the back of the housing, to be sure there was a snug fit and the two circuit boards don't vibrate apart(again)

Now everything works like a charm. Finally I have A/C again!(the temp was stuck on 90 because I had the heat on full blast in the morning, thats when the Cold button decided to crap out.)
Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 PM
UNCLEBILL
Pro

Excellent info....
Bill
Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting.... So what were the problems with the controls that led you to do this? Wondering if the same issues I am having. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

that's a heck of a thorough fix! nice job!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:22 PM
John.87
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuengineer
Interesting.... So what were the problems with the controls that led you to do this? Wondering if the same issues I am having. Thanks.
I had an unresponsive button, the BLUE COLD button.

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed my Climate Control Module today, with PICS

Quick Reply: Fixed my Climate Control Module today, with PICS