Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bad to Worse

Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Bad to Worse

Pulled the car into the garage and smelled gas when I got out. Backed the car out and popped open the hood with the car running. Checked the car at the gas line connections and didnt see anything dripping. Shutoff the car and started looking closer. Found the vacuum hose to the FP regulator cracked wide open and it looked like something leaked in that area and accumlated dirt. So I put on a new vacuum hose and run the engine for a minute, Shut it off and pulled the new vacuum hose and a bunch of gas streams out of the vacuum hose. Time for a new FP regulator diaphram.

Now for the worse........ noticed a small puddle of antifreeze under the car, looks like I have a radiator leak right at the upper transmission connector to the radiator. I can see the coolant right around the connector nut. Checked the trans fluid, still looks good.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 PM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Minor stuff and easy fixes. Enjoy.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:57 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Ok, reading thru the FSM it looks like there is a gasket at the trans cooler fitting on the radiator. A couple of bucks for a gasket is cheaper then a whole new radiator. Wonder if GM still stocks the gaskets?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 AM
kerrynewman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have not replaced your radiator already, you porbably should, it is 25 years old if it is the original...just saying.....reality = this is what keeps your engine from overheating, and you don't want to start overheating a 25 year old engine, IMHO
Old 09-29-2012, 12:50 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

I have the service record dating back to mid 1990's and no record of radiator being replaced. Looks like FSM says to pull the radiator to change the trans cooler gaskets. I may as well replace the radiator and hoses. The stock radiator has been keeping the car cool, I'll probably go with another stock unit, the upgraded radiators are more expensive and I dont think I'll need the extra cooling.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Recived the new FP regulator diaphram. Took all of 5 minutes to remove the plenum. Then had to hit the tool store for the safety torx #T10 bit to open up the FPR. Got home and found I needed the 6 point bit and had bought the 5 point. I'll stop on the way home from work on friday and exchange the 5 point bit for the 6 point bit.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:30 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Last update, replaced the FPR diaphram, Needed to buy a Torx safety bit #T10 six point. Was pretty easy replacing and buttoning it back up. Car would turn over but not fire up. Doh, forgot to re-install the FP fuse. After pressure test and no leaks fired up the engine and let it run for a few minutes with fire extenguisher nearby. Still no leaks. After test drive still no leaks and no gas in vacuum line from FPR.

Old diaphram was pretty well worn and had places for several leaks. 25yrs and 165k miles is a lot to ask from a small thin piece of rubber.

Also fixed the radiator leak, the nut that tightens around the trans cool line was lose. Tighten it up and no more coolant leaks.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Mike 92LX
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice just minor stuff. Could be much much worse!!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:50 PM
TorchRedlt4man
Drifting

Location: Chicago Executive Airport, formerly known as Palwaukee
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Have seen this many times. Simple fixes take care of what could be BIG problems.

Thanks for posting your issues and your results!

Enjoy that puppy!

Get notified of new replies

To Bad to Worse

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad to Worse