C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Question on Bose Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:45 PM
greenlaker
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Bose Speakers

I am new to this forum & have a question on the radio / speaker system in my 1991 vette. The radio lights up and you can change channels but there is nothing coming from the speakers. The antenna also goes up & down. I checked the fuses in the main panel and they are good. I also wanted to check the radio fuse in the aux fuse box but can't remove the plastic cover below thw glove box. Would appreciate any guidance. Thanks in advance.
Ray in Elmhurst
Old 09-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

I would get the cover off and check the fused first. The radio consists of 3 parts. 1 is the radio control head in the dash. Next is the ECM, which is the electronics fior the radio and is lkocated under the passenger side of the dash on a 1991. Then there are the speakers, each of which has its own amplifier.
In your case I would suspect the fuse and if it is OK I would suggest you get a factory service manual and start doing some troubleshooting. The radio is relatively easy to get out but the ECM can be very difficult to even see from under the dash. Generally when a speaker amp goes bad you get static from the speaker. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 PM
greenlaker
7th Gear

Kmcoldcars - thanks for your guidance.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 PM
89VettVert
Heel & Toe

i pretty much have the same problem on my 89, same as what you said, but only one speaker working in the back.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The Bose speakers are famous for failing with electrolytic capacitors that leak and dry out in the amplifiers that are inside the speaker enclosures. The permanent fix is to replace all the electrolytics with tantalum types that can't dry out. There are places that do this as a service. I don't have a Bose system so I'm not familiar with who these guys are, but I believe the major Corvette parts suppliers will do this for you (they send them out to their suppliers for repair). I think you could save some money by going direct. I'm sure there are people here who can advise you on this.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I also have a 91 vert and have had to replace all four amps at the speakers. If it's the amps going bad you usually get a popping noise or a loud ear piercing screech. I would suspect something wrong in the radio head or the radio ecm as mentioned in previous posts. All four speakers or amps going out at the same time would be very unusual.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:43 AM
greenlaker
7th Gear

Default Update

I made some progress. Was able to remove the plastic panel below the glove box (GM really made this hard to access) to check aux fuses.. All fuses related to radio & Bose are good. I disc battery and reconnected. The radio now works so tuner is ok. So problem is with the Bose speaker system. Some years ago I replaced all speakers and amps. Then the speakers went one by one. In this problem all speakers went dead at the same time which leads me to believe there is a problem with power to the Bose system. Any thoughts on pursuing this problem. Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 AM
91quasarblue
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 91 in 04 and who I bought it from had receipts from a repair and as I speak I am waiting for a JVC stereo and 4 new Rockford Fosgate speakers because my radio is popping ******** off etc I think the stereo sounds horrible so I'm replacing but keeping all original stuff for the day I sell I'll have the original stuff moral of story forget Bose system it sucks

Get notified of new replies

To Question on Bose Speakers

Quick Reply: Question on Bose Speakers