C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

c4 1995 lt1 hard start

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 PM
z-corvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c4 1995 lt1 hard start

if i let the car sit for several days it will crank forever. i cycle the ignition several times before it starts. once i get it started i can shut off and refire no problem. seems like i'm losing my fuel prime. is that a regulator, the pump itself or something else? i do have a new filter installed. thank you for your replies in advance.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Off hand, it sounds like a fueling problem; pressure perhaps. As a preliminary step, I'd want to see if the fuel pressure was in the range (41# ± 10%). And, if that is OK, I'd want to measure battery voltage across the terminals to be sure it is 12.6 before turning the key.

My next step would be to scan the ECM and see whats what. (One of the very best tools I ever bought for my 95 Vette was an AutoXray scanner. With it I was able to fix a few rather knarly problems that evaded the local Corvette mechanics.) If you haven't got a scanner, I highly recommend you get one. But, in lieu of your own, places like AutoZone will scan it no charge.

Note: Not to tout AutoZone, but they will also lend you a fuel pressure gauge with a deposit. Keep the gauge and they keep the deposit and all is good! (If you know you want to keep a tool, I let them know and they've provided me with a new one to keep. I have a new fuel pressure gauge, vacuum gauges, coolant testing kit - all at a very reasonable cost!!)

Hope this helps.

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 10-13-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:30 PM
z-corvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i replace battery and that was not the problem. do i check fuel pressure next? when i do get it started there's no check engine light on.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you check your fuel pressure yet?

There's a bung on the fuel rail at the rear of the engine,

I usually tape the gauge to my windshield and leave the gauge installed for a while IOT see what's really going on.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To c4 1995 lt1 hard start

Quick Reply: c4 1995 lt1 hard start